Studio monitor upgrade from A7X's to...

Enjoying this thread as I almost picked up some used A7Xs locally...but the pair for $800 seems like a good deal compared to the prices on some of the ones mentioned above!

Focal Shape 65’s here.

Broke them in with almost 24 hours of Prodigy “Fat Of The Land”.

This never sounded better.

Reactions: mtb
Genelecs One series. 8351s are a nice middle ground in the line, if they fit your budget.
I, too, liked mixing on the 8351B’s but I wonder if the rear-firing port might be an issue when used über-close to a front wall? The room I used them in was pretty big and had gobs of distance/volume behind the console meter bridge.

Enjoying this thread as I almost picked up some used A7Xs locally...but the pair for $800 seems like a good deal compared to the prices on some of the ones mentioned above!
I’ve been using a pair of Adam A5Xs fo a few years now, with an Adam Sub8 for bottom end over the last 18 months. They are really good speakers, and I have updated the rooms I have listened to them in without ever becoming disappointed with the speakers themselves. A7X are probably good for a bigger room (my control room is about 12’ x 14’), but would probably be overkill. The Sub8 has been problematic of late, so is about to go back for repair, but I might even consider Adam A4Vs as my next speakers. They all seem quite a lot of bang per buck, especially when compared with Genelec 8351s.

Liam

Well, I ordered a single Focal Twin6 ST6 and I'll compare it to my A7X's when it arrives. If I like it, I'll order a second one. If I'm underwhelmed, I guess I'm taking a road trip to Vintage King Audio. Sincerely appreciate everyone's input!

So, I've had a good amount of time comparing the Focal Twin6 ST6 to the A7X. The first difference I noticed on the Focal was the clarity of the bass, guitars, drums and voices. The separation of instruments/voices sounded very detailed and clean on the Focal whereas the A7X sound was more blended together. The next difference was the bass. The one hesitation I had in buying the Focal was the 6.5" woofer was actually slightly smaller than the woofer in the A7X. Technically, the Focal has (2) 6.5" speakers, one is a mid and bass speaker and the other is strictly a bass speaker. The bass on the Focal is significantly better than the A7X. Its much more pronounced than the A7X, yet its very tight sounding...no boominess whatsoever. Don't get me wrong. I think the A7X is a phenomenal speaker and definitely the best speaker I've heard in that price range. The Focal should sound better...its more than twice the price of the A7X. But, I already have the best amp modeler on the planet. I just felt the need for a studio monitor upgrade and I'm very, very impressed with the Focal. The second speaker is supposed to arrive today, so I'm excited to hear the Focal's in stereo. The only downside is now I need a bigger desk because the Focals are so much larger.

My (passive) Alesis Monitor One Mk2's would be a downgrade to most of you but I have 6 of them on isolation foam plus a center and a powered sub for 7.1 surround editing - I love the setup.

Anyone compare the Genelec 8331s to the Adam A7s? I don’t have a good way of auditioning the Genelecs where I am.

So, I've had a good amount of time comparing the Focal Twin6 ST6 to the A7X. The first difference I noticed on the Focal was the clarity of the bass, guitars, drums and voices. The separation of instruments/voices sounded very detailed and clean on the Focal whereas the A7X sound was more blended together. The next difference was the bass. <snip>
I guess I thought roughly similar when I got my Adam A5X pair, but using the same stereo monitors for more than low-mid frequencies and upwards already seemed a mistake from the models I had run through REW and AMROC. So an A5X pair, coupled with a Sub8 has been a pretty magical formula for my own little studio. I'm going to guess the A7X bottom end becomes a lot clearer if you cut it off at 120 Hz or lower.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom