Studio Monitor Recommendations

Ik multimedia iloud micro monitors best choice for small unthreated rooms when you sit next to the walls and play at medium low volumes.. Under 300 Euro.. For more professional uograde to the iloud mtm.. About 700.

I just asked a similar question but I have done a ton of research this past week. I am very HEAVILY leaning towards the PreSonus S6...for many reasons. Being coaxial, it provides great tone and less phase issues. It's also front ported which is a bonus if you plan to put them in front of a wall. If you are using it mainly for your guitar it's a great option...and on sale- $800/pair. You will want two to get the coveted stereo effect...especially if sitting <9 feet away of the 3 sided, equidistant triangle- you on one tip, the speakers are the other two. Treating the room can really make a big difference. I will also use a ABY switch and occasionally use one of my other real amps to get some added bass.

As is the case with all nearfield studio monitors, you can't get too far away or sit out of the sweet spot or you will start losing tone- they do not behave like typical amps. If you have a big room or sit more than 9 feet away, and need more sound coverage there are many other FRFR solutions and cabs. My understanding is that the studio monitors sounds really nice and detailed and can be really flat (good), but you won't get that amp in the room feeling out of them. If you play at lower volumes the monitors are often the preferred solution. Likely less low volume hiss as well which is a bonus. Just to give you other options, my alternative choices, in order would have been the Neumann KH80 or KH120, Adam T7V (budget friendly) or JBL MKII (not sure about the hiss on this one.)

Well, I'm no engineer but I for one prefer to use the same stereo platform that I use for listening to music with everyday. I'm sure people would have good logic in why not to do something like that, but I know the way music is supposed to sound through it, and it saves a lot of time of recording, and playing back through different systems only to find there's too much bass, high end etc. Studio monitors are mostly flat by design, and therefore boring to my ears for my everyday use. But if you need critical monitoring then maybe they're for you

I am curious about experiences people may have putting their Axe through a hifi stereo and speakers.

I have heard from other posts that it may not be completely safe putting a guitar through stereo speakers (something about transients or dynamic range or something like that)?

I have been using Sennheiser HD600 head phones since I got my AxeFx about a year and a half ago. Just bought a pair pf Adam A7x's. I was debating between the Yamaha HS8 but decided to get the Adam's due to the fact that 1) I had the budget and 2) a lot of people I watch on youtube use Adam monitors. I don't know about the Yamaha's, as I never tried them, but I can say that I could not be happier with the Adam's. These monitors with the new firmware = sore fingers and delighted ears!

Last edited:
I have to put a recommendation in for Adam A5X's. I use two, along with an Adam Sub8. The sound is great (same ribbon tweeter) and a much smaller footprint. Price for this setup isn't cheaper than two A7X's though....

Back
Top Bottom