Stuck with Mission SP2 controlling multiple parameters

lp59

Experienced
The expression pedal Mission SP2 has two sets of outputs controlled by a switch like on a regular wah to switch from one output to the second.
The first output controlls external 1 for wah and whammy (Yek's schematic) and the second output controls external 2 for rotary speed or delay level.
My wah is set with auto engage heel down, the problem is when I press the switch to toggle the outs, I go toe down and switch automatically the wah on before I hit the switch for controlling the rotary speed. And here I am: I control the rotary speed but wah is on stuck in the toe down position.
Is there a solution to bypass the wah when I toggle the switch to control the rotary speed?
The only answer I found is to use toe down with auto engage to bypass the wah. But I'm not confortable with it, I prefer the wah bypass at heel down.
Another trick would be to put the mission switch outside the pedal enclosure so I could leave the wah bypassed heel down and click the outboard switch to control my rotary...

All idees welcome!

Whether or not you move the switch outside the enclosure, I think you'd have to make additional changes to the circuit to have the controller/Axe think the unused channel is at heel down. That might be as simple as cutting a wire or two, but that's just a guess.

The SP-1 might be more suited to this, unless you already determined it would conflict with what you want to do. For example, would you ever have the delay/rotary active at maximum level/speed when using wah/whammy? Even then, there could be solutions involving extra signal path switching or a second rotary block.

Tanks for the answer, I think I won't have to rewire anything if I move the switch outside the pedal, because I could put the wah heel down (auto engage makes it off) then click on the switch to use the second out to control the rotary. The off status of the wah will be memorized. Don't you think it would work like this?

For the second part of your answer, I think I could rewire the SP2 like a SP1 without problem. I don't think I will ever need rotary/delay at full speed/volume when using wah/whammy. What kind of extra signal path or cabling did you think about?

I'm sure the many forumers here, having their master degree in external controllers and CC will share their idees on the subject!

I thought about fliping my SP2 upside down to have the switch at heel down and reversing the curves in the controllers, but what an ugly look would my pedalboard have!

Tanks for the answer, I think I won't have to rewire anything if I move the switch outside the pedal, because I could put the wah heel down (auto engage makes it off) then click on the switch to use the second out to control the rotary. The off status of the wah will be memorized. Don't you think it would work like this?

No, I'm thinking the pedal uses a simpler design than what would be needed to do that. Something like this: the switch connects one jack to the pot, and the other jack to a wire, and swaps between which piece is in which circuit. So regardless of where the pedal was, it will be interpreted as maximum when you switch. You could verify this if you can reach the switch w/ fingers or something while the pedal is heel down.

For the second part of your answer, I think I could rewire the SP2 like a SP1 without problem. I don't think I will ever need rotary/delay at full speed/volume when using wah/whammy. What kind of extra signal path or cabling did you think about?

For delay you could have 2 volume/filter blocks in parallel before or after delay, one with level controlled by the pedal. When you switch to wah mode, the pedal-controlled volume block could go into mute bypass while the other engages at a fixed level.

http://www.leguitariste.fr/uploads/images/Divers/Axe-FX/MJ%20Clean.syx

You are totally right in the answer of the first point. I just checked it like you suggested, doing a manual toggle of the switch with heel down. I have a hard time undersanding why it work this way, because if I set the auto engage of the wah at toe down position when I click the switch the wah stays in bypass. Wich is not the case if I set auto engage at heel down position... Mmmmh, has to do with the wiring of the pedal that you understand much more than I! :roll

For the second part of your answer I'm not sure to exactly understand what you mean (English is not my native language, sorry).
I have inserted a link of my preset, hope it works 'cause I couldn't upload it on the forum directly, got an error... Hope it works this way, and if you got the time you could do the mod you think about and send it back...

Many thanks,

You should right click on the link and save target under... Or something like that to get the preset...

Here's an example of fixed delay level during wah/pitch mode. You could try this by having the pedal control External 1 the entire time. External 12 is set up for a standard toggle as on the SP-1; use the I/O: MIDI menu's Init. Value as a toggle if you don't want to set up an IA as Ext 12.

External 12 at 0%: Vol/Pan 2 sends a constant input level to delay.
External 12 at 100%: Vol/Pan 3 uses External 1 to control input level to delay.

Attachments

• MJ Clean modified.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for the new preset, but I have no delay, though I unbypassed the delay block and moved the delay input gain that was set to 0. Something must be missing but the idea is great. I will have to study your preset to understand it deeply.
I also have to get rid of the chorus block, I had 94% cpu causing a lot of crackles.

I forgot to check the input gain. Did you have the SP-2 at toe down when trying this? That should be controlling delay input level whenever External 12 is at 100%. So if it was, and pedal was at heel down, there would have been no delay.

Yes! It works!
The delay block was corrupted, I changed it to delay 2 and it worked, than went back to delay 1 and everything is fine.

Understanding how you achieved this result is a real pleasure, the trick with the mixer to bypass wah and whammy using the balance is really clever!
I can now control everything and get my wah auto engage to heel position.
Just have to wire my SP2 like a SP1!

Great job Bakerman, I really apreciate.

Back
Top Bottom