Strymond Timeline VS axe fx XL

aaronv84

Inspired
I'd like to know how they compare sounds wise.... what you guys think from your personal experience. What one has has higher quality sounds? Also ease of use..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own both . I like the timeline allot . I have thought about running it in the effects loop for delay but at the end of the day I think the XL delays are in the same ballpark of quality to not to have to deal with the extra cables and set up

delay quality etc? the Axe is great, just as good in almost every aspect.

the thing you don't have are the amazing/inspiring presets that you get with something like the Timeline...and you also have to know how to build out the signal chain to get the sounds you are after.

I wonder why we don't have effect presets for the axe like the timeline? Well guys I appreciate the input I'm thinking of buying a good clean tube amp for jazz chord melody stuff. Running a timeline and big sky for effects. Now it's a matter of finding a good clean tube amp lol and keeping my axe for quiet jamming.

Reactions: J.C
Port City Amplification. Tom Quayle uses a Pearl, I believe (or did, he has an Axe FX). The Pearl is designed as a clean platform. Jazz tone can be fairly subjective, of course. I think of Kingsley Amplification. Simon plays jazz, but his sound is different than traditional archtop style. Kingsley amps are awesome. You might look to Carol Ann, depending on what you need in an amp. The models in the Axe are great, and the Tucana reminds me of the one I had years ago (but with the greater versatility of picking the right cab for the job, and adjusting the damping and other parameters to make it work with other cabs).

Most Strymon effects can be accomplished on the Axe FX. I cannot get all the sounds from the El Capistan (absolutely incredible tape delay pedal), and I never owned the Big Sky. Strymon's way of doing things is different of course, but it does make dialing in certain sounds simpler (i.e. presets + minimal parameters). Regardless, the quality of the effects in the Axe FX is top notch, and it's not hard to dial in awesome sounds. Plus, FW updates have included more presets to help make getting certain sounds a whole lot easier.

I agree lol I wouldn't part my with my axe. I really love the sounds of Jody Fishers playing the "whistful thinking" album, he does have some serious chops when it comes to chord melody. But I'll look around at those amps and see what catches my eye and ears!

You can't beat a Fender for a good, classic clean tone. I play a lot of jazz gigs, and before I got my Axe, I used a Deluxe Reverb. In the Axe, I've always gone for Fenders, and I've recently gravitated towards the 6G12 Concert with the 2x12 Brown Super factory cab.

For delays, I believe Simeon has a thread that was recently bumped in this forum with 50 free Delay Block presets. Just import them into Axe Edit and you'll have plenty to choose from. That said, I often find just dialing in a clean block and setting the feedback and mix level is all I need for a good delay sound. I'm a fan of the analog tape setting in the standard delay block.

I'd like to know how they compare sounds wise.... what you guys think from your personal experience. What one has has higher quality sounds? Also ease of use..

Ease of use - Strymon, because it's a pedal and the Axe Fx has many more parameters you can adjust

You can get close to many of the Strymon sounds but you have to know how.

There are far many more possibilities with the Axe Fx. For example you can run 2, 3 or 4 delays(or more) including multi-delays at once. plus reverbs, pitch effects, chorus, flange etc.. and you have control over the routing and order so the options are endless. It's like having many pedals with the ability to re-wire by just moving them around on a grid.
Edit options are much deeper on the Axe Fx also.

I don't know what a/d converters the Strymon stuff uses but I would guess that they are lesser than the Axe Fx

if you need clean its not gonna get much more clean than the jazz chorus model in the axe, id at least give that a shot and see how ya like it

The Strymons run at 96kHz 24bit as opposed to 48 on the AFX. It's probably not relevant but helps in a pedal format as there going to be multiple AD DA conversions. The Strymons sound better than similar TC Electronics pedals IMHO - though I use several of each.The dry audio runs direct analog on the pedals whereas everything is subject to one (or two) rounds of AD DA on the AFX. To be honest the base audio quality is pretty irrelevant these days - its more a case of which units are more inspiring to use. I feel the Strymon units are borderline 'value-for-money' but they have their graphics, sound design and business model stuff very well developed. With the AFX I always feel that all the money is 'in the box' and that however much it costs it does things that no other unit could do.

Has no one checked out Simeon's amazing delay blocks/patches ?

How can anyone say we don't have inspirstional delay patches for the Axe who's played those......

"Soundtrack", "rhythmic texture generator" etc are exceptional and the Axe can do everything as well as a Strymon, Eventide etc

I did like the Blue Sky and Flint though, great pedals. Actually really didn't like the Timeline much, and wasn't overly impressed with its presets. Returned it after like 3 days lol

I wonder why we don't have effect presets for the axe like the timeline?

We don't have presets like the Strymon because a Delay block in axe isn't going to have presets in it. ie big sky presets use multidelay + reverb ect to create something like the shimmer reverb

Ease of use - Strymon, because it's a pedal and the Axe Fx has many more parameters you can adjust

You can get close to many of the Strymon sounds but you have to know how.

There are far many more possibilities with the Axe Fx. For example you can run 2, 3 or 4 delays(or more) including multi-delays at once. plus reverbs, pitch effects, chorus, flange etc.. and you have control over the routing and order so the options are endless. It's like having many pedals with the ability to re-wire by just moving them around on a grid.
Edit options are much deeper on the Axe Fx also.

I don't know what a/d converters the Strymon stuff uses but I would guess that they are lesser than the Axe Fx

I see your point and thank you!

The Strymons run at 96kHz 24bit as opposed to 48 on the AFX. It's probably not relevant but helps in a pedal format as there going to be multiple AD DA conversions. The Strymons sound better than similar TC Electronics pedals IMHO - though I use several of each.The dry audio runs direct analog on the pedals whereas everything is subject to one (or two) rounds of AD DA on the AFX. To be honest the base audio quality is pretty irrelevant these days - its more a case of which units are more inspiring to use. I feel the Strymon units are borderline 'value-for-money' but they have their graphics, sound design and business model stuff very well developed. With the AFX I always feel that all the money is 'in the box' and that however much it costs it does things that no other unit could do.

Wow! What would say I'd top notch delay pedal for the money?

Has no one checked out Simeon's amazing delay blocks/patches ?

How can anyone say we don't have inspirstional delay patches for the Axe who's played those......

"Soundtrack", "rhythmic texture generator" etc are exceptional and the Axe can do everything as well as a Strymon, Eventide etc

I did like the Blue Sky and Flint though, great pedals. Actually really didn't like the Timeline much, and wasn't overly impressed with its presets. Returned it after like 3 days lol

I'll be home in a few weeks and I'll be sure to check them out.

True comments! In other words, don't give up on the Axe FX quite yet.

I really love my axe lol I wouldn't get rid of it except to up grade to a newer model... But I wouldn't mind having clean tube amp, delay, reverb pedals. Something to just have on the side to jam on.

Back
Top Bottom