Struggling with my FM3……..help

How do u know he's not trying to run thru the Genelec Monitors mentioned?

Anyway - def some clarification needed from OP
*Blackstar Series 1-45 2x12 combo valve amp.
I've actually run digital gear -> pedalboard effects processors And rack gear through my own Blackstar cab (Series One 4x12 with Vintage 30's),
and it sounds like dog shit. I'm guessing he's sitting right in front of that 2x12 like he has been for years. lol..
But yeah, clarification would be nice.

*It can be a difficult thing to run digital gear through guitar cabs. You're always fighting the frequency range of the speakers.
I think it works for some people, but it can be hit and miss depending on the speakers. Why tie your shoe laces together, then try to go jogging?
Just my opinion.. ;)

*Blackstar Series 1-45 2x12 combo valve amp.
I've actually run digital gear -> pedalboard effects processors And rack gear through my own Blackstar cab (Series One 4x12 with Vintage 30's),
and it sounds like dog shit. I'm guessing he's sitting right in front of that 2x12 like he has been for years. lol..
But yeah, clarification would be nice.

*It can be a difficult thing to run digital gear through guitar cabs. You're always fighting the frequency range of the speakers.
I think it works for some people, but it can be hit and miss depending on the speakers. Why tie your shoe laces together, then try to go jogging?
Just my opinion.. ;)
My question still stands: How do u know he's not trying to run thru the Genelec Monitors mentioned? You're assuming the blackstar.

My question still stands: How do u know he's not trying to run thru the Genelec Monitors mentioned?
How do you know he's not? And there's always the case that many of the factory presets on the fm3 are not really that great. But If he's running all that gear, there's a lot that can go wrong. More parts=more issues.

My advice...throw out all the presets you bought. I have a PRS SE Custom 24. Pick a specific song with a tone your going for and post it here, I'll give it a go and post the settings using stock IRs.

How do you know he's not? And there's always the case that many of the factory presets on the fm3 are not really that great. But If he's running all that gear, there's a lot that can go wrong. More parts=more issues.

I never said he's not - and I don't know he's not - I'm not making the assumption - you are.

It's unclear - he needs to clarify
Don't make me pull over!

Read post #9:

"Sorry, the valve amps aren’t used - just what I am comparing the FM3 too….they’re too loud for my new music room

Signal chain is:

Guitar -> FM3 ->
Genelecs or HD 660s"

Don't make me pull over!

Read post #9:

"Sorry, the valve amps aren’t used - just what I am comparing the FM3 too….they’re too loud for my new music room

Signal chain is:

Guitar -> FM3 ->
Genelecs or HD 660

Don't make me pull over!

Read post #9:

Signal chain is:

Guitar -> FM3 ->
Genelecs or HD 660s"
My recommendation stays the same. Unless he has the cash for 2 "better" frfrs with 12" speakers. 5" monitors, and headphones should be the first clue in this mystery. lol
Don't make me pull over!

Read post #9:

Signal chain is:

Guitar -> FM3 ->
Genelecs or HD 660s"
My recommendation stays the same. Unless he has the cash for 2 "better" frfrs with 12" speakers. 5" monitors, and headphones should be the first clue in this mystery. "Where's the beef?" LOL..

Sorry, the valve amps aren’t used - just what I am comparing the FM3 too….they’re too loud for my new music room

Signal chain is:

Guitar -> FM3 -> Genelecs or HD 660s

I have the headphones in the headphone port & currently have the genelecs plugged into output 2 so I can have the GEQ block linked to output 1 for the headphone correction
I recall going over heaphone calibration EQs in another thread. If you're using a GEQ block at the end of your presets, especially for the headphone calibration profiles on Github, make sure the Q is set right; i was using a GEQ block with a Q of "1" but should have used "1.41" - that made all the difference in the world.

As the folks here have said, export a preset & "hang" it here. Give us a chance to look at it. Oh & list the IRs too.

I recall going over heaphone calibration EQs in another thread. If you're using a GEQ block at the end of your presets, especially for the headphone calibration profiles on Github, make sure the Q is set right; i was using a GEQ block with a Q of "1" but should have used "1.41" - that made all the difference in the world.

As the folks here have said, export a preset & "hang" it here. Give us a chance to look at it. Oh & list the IRs too.
He can actually package it as a bundle to capture everything. I hate loading the bundles, but they do ensure the IR is included as well.

Hi, Using digital modeler with standard amp is not a good idea
If you want to do this you have to disable the CAB block, the Power amp sim and go to the return, NEVER on the guitar input!
If you want to have the 100% benefits of FM3 you have to use FRFR Speakers
You can have a look on my tutorial.
unfortunately my english is not good and this is the reason many english users don't like to see my tutorial even if the need 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ciao

I have a feeling Harvey Fletcher and Wilden Munson have been up to no good again.

In all seriousness, @drnat, I think you might have a little ear fatigue. Listen to it again with fresh ears and get those monitors moving some air.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I know I’ve put a few posts up about dealing in good tones and I have followed these. I have tried aftermarket IRs - especially YA & OH ones, have bought the Austin Buddy gold pack and the Cooper Carter masterclass, but I’m still struggling to get tones that I’m really happy with.

Equipment:

FM3 with FC6
Sennheiser HD 660s
Genelec 8010as
PRS custon 24 SE
PRS custom Mark Tremonti LP style SE
Les Paul standard with Alnico 2 pro pups in.

Blackstar Series 1-45 2x12 combo valve amp & S1 104 (or 6) 6L6 100w head
I agree with @crossthestyx and @Marco Fanton that there is something amiss in your signal chain. In your OP you reference using headphones, monitors, and an amp. You cannot maintain the same settings across all three output platforms. The only thing you're not using (and the preferred option) is an FRFR. I use one and I think they make all the difference. As already stated, you need to provide more details.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

thanks for all the suggestions.

just for clarity, I am not using any of my valve amp gear.

I am not going to buy big FRFR speakers, as much as I’d love to, due to the volume issue. If I can’t get a decent sound with the headphones, then it won’t be a going concern at present. In the future I may be able to get my semi-soundproofed music room in action again - at that point an FRFR solution will be an option

When I’ve finished work I’ll post a preset.

🙏

Hi, Using digital modeler with standard amp is not a good idea
If you want to do this you have to disable the CAB block, the Power amp sim and go to the return, NEVER on the guitar input!
If you want to have the 100% benefits of FM3 you have to use FRFR Speakers
You can have a look on my tutorial.
unfortunately my english is not good and this is the reason many english users don't like to see my tutorial even if the need 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ciao

Marco, your grasp of English is plenty good. Anyone having problems understanding you is not interested in an answer or advice from an experienced user such as yourself and instead they complain about things that don’t matter.

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the suggestions.

just for clarity, I am not using any of my valve amp gear.

I am not going to buy big FRFR speakers, as much as I’d love to, due to the volume issue. If I can’t get a decent sound with the headphones, then it won’t be a going concern at present. In the future I may be able to get my semi-soundproofed music room in action again - at that point an FRFR solution will be an option

When I’ve finished work I’ll post a preset.

🙏

I wasn’t happy with my headphone tones. I mentioned that on another thread and received some suggestions. I had forgotten that I had disabled stereo since I was running a single speaker. That alone was a big improvement. To make phones sound awesome run 2 different IRs and pan them left and right. Use the higher res if you have cpu available. Turn up the room level in the cab block. And use some reverb. Can also use the enhancer block just before the output.

Post a sound clip. We can listen to it and see how it sounds in our environments :)
Then we can have an understanding if there is a problem with the sound or the listening environment of yours.

Back
Top Bottom