Struggling user - I can't get anywhere close to my prophecy's gain and sustain, please help.

I honestly think this thread has been created just as bad advertising, just to keep the buzz on so it can be seen in the latest posts.

Edit : Switching from overly gained and compressed Rocktron or Zoom 505, axe fx can feel really clean sounding though :D

Last edited:
My thought is it makes it less obvious which major competitor’s plant it is. Total conjecture, but it’s been nagging at me.
I've been wondering that, too.

If it is a "plant", all they've really proven is that there a few, if any, tones you can't get with the Axe-FX and that there are usually several approaches to get a particular tone.

And, that our forum members are incredibly knowledgeable and very generous with sharing what they know.

It would've been so much easier to help if the OP had simply uploaded a sample and preset. Anyone who wants help with their tone should generally post a sample of, well, their tone. Dark, muffled, bright, etc. could mean anything.
Yup. +125 posts and the OP hasn't posted what we need to help us to help them.

In 1988 when I recorded for the first time in a studio the producer had just
gotten a Rocktron Pro-Gap preamp. He was smitten with it more than I was.
It was the latest tech and he talked me into foregoing micing up my amp and
running direct into the Pro-Gap in the control room and tracking that way.

The damn transistors in that thing still haunt me. I hated it then and I hate it now. :)

Cool company, though. Very trendy there for a time.

Had the TOL 50 combo. Crazy good sounding. I was cranking in up going into a load box and it caught fire. Had it repaired and sold it.

Didn't Rocktron partner with Bruce Egnater in makling that amp? Pretty sure they had some relationship
there for a time, both being located in Southern Michigan.

In 1988 when I recorded for the first time in a studio the producer had just
gotten a Rocktron Pro-Gap preamp. He was smitten with it more than I was.
It was the latest tech and he talked me into foregoing micing up my amp and
running direct into the Pro-Gap in the control room and tracking that way.
"Dude! This is the way everybody's doing it now!"

Didn't Rocktron partner with Bruce Egnater in makling that amp? Pretty sure they had some relationship
there for a time, both being located in Southern Michigan.
This amp was made before he partnered with Rocktron. I'm not sure but I think Rocktron only made a 100 watt 3 channel head version

Time and time again the fractal matches classic and modern amps so close its indistinguishable in a mix. Even if it couldn’t match a rocktron unit, I don’t think it would really matter. My fractal is dead balls on plexi, Mesa, Friedman etc. oh man it can’t replicate a rocktron, total deal breaker?

To my ears, it just seems easier to match high gain sounds. That video just sounds like the easiest thing to get with the Axe, with many high gain models, or pedals in front of mid gain models. It feels much more difficult to match the character of low gain, edge of breakup, or clean tones, because the naked sound of your pickups, your technique, string guage, your pick, all that stuff, really shine through more and can only be shaped so much, but with unbelievable amount of gain, you can shape it in a million ways, at different points in the chain. I'm really curious to see if the OP's mystery is ever solved.

A video clip of the front of the Axe-Fx III while he's playing would be helpful - I'm wondering what his input level is set too.

Also, was this a new or used purchase? If it was used, absolutely do a factory reset and download the latest factory presets. I can't remember how many times I've helped people that got a second hand unit which was configured in bizarre ways.

Still no response from OP?

rude alfred GIF

Back
Top Bottom