Struggling user - I can't get anywhere close to my prophecy's gain and sustain, please help.

I would post both a preset and a system backup! It just seems like a global setting that's just wrong. But definitely sound clips, as well as dry guitar tracks, would be the way for the community to be able to solve this.

it seems an issue here is hearing YT clips of full modeling then comparing it to using an external power amp and real cab.

with full modeling, all the "saturation" and everything that comes along with the full signal chain are in the tone already - you can increase gain without volume because it's all internal.

with the separate power amp and cab, the real power amp needs to be saturated with input volume like any traditional rig. if the Axe isn't outputting enough due to the Out volume being low, then the power amp saturation won't happen regardless of how much gain is going on in the "preamp" part of tone from the Axe.

i'm still thinking the power amp isn't getting enough input from the Axe, even though things may be the same volume between preamps.

This is gonna sound silly because people are talking about gain, saturation, volume but Not sure we’re all on the same page.

Is your output set to +4 or -10?

Going to have to hear a clip in order to judge the saturation.

It really depends whether you're trying to get your overdrive in the preamp or the power amp. If you're using an external power amp, with power amp modeling shut off in the Axe, you have to be loud enough to overdrive that external amp.

I bet the Rocktron is mostly preamp drive, so you should look for Axe presets that are also built that way. I'm not a super high gain guy, so I don't have real recommendations, but I bet lots of folks here can point you in that direction.

In that world, if you're getting comparable volume, then the power amp is getting a comparable signal level, and you don't need to worry about that part.

Hope that makes sense.

I know it's not the sort of a comment OP is expecting, but I'd suggest thinking outside the box and chasing your ideal tone on AXE. I think it's a straightforward path to getting a satisfying result. Things have, if not "improved" for everyone, changed drastically after Prophecy.

try this one, scene 3 (JPIIc+ Red Shred). Try increasing the gain, if this isn't enough, then there might be something off in your settings (or the unit; have you tried an input in the back?)

Attachments

• JPIIc Mark IV Rig 6$ Cygnus_FW_20.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Maybe using the compressor block or using the compressor in the dynamics page in the amp block would solve the problem? From what i can hear in that video of the Rocktron, it sounds very compressed. A compressor will also help with sustain.

99% this is a weak input or output issue. How are your levels looking? Factory reset after a backup. Then perform an initial setup for yourself assuring healthy levels for everything. From then on, you can troubleshoot easier. Also, assure cables are all solid. Swap out cables from the other unit.
It could also be you just love the sound of your prophesy. That’s cool too. I’m pretty confident you can get in the ballpark with the fractal too though.

Based on what I hear from the video posted, the 80's Hair Metal preset is a great starting point.

But also, why not try plugging your Rocktron into the Axe III (using something like Herbie Ch3 for a starting point because it has TONS of gain) and doing a Tone Match?

I'm testing the prophecy and the fx3 each at the same volume level. I can hear the high quality and diversity of sounds from the fx3, some of the presets, some of the ones that have scenes that are "red" mostly seem to have a fantastic high gain sound (while I'm playing with heavy attack on the strings), it's just the sustain and feeling under the sound.
Alert mode on. What's red?

When I heard the video of the prophecy posted in this thread my 1st reaction was , sounds very similar in gain structure to an axe3. I can't believe this thread is this long over gain, which is the easiest thing to get out of an axe3. The louder it is the more obvious it is and how much gain and the structure of the gain you are using becomes even more obvious. If your struggling to get that sound something is way wrong. That's just to simple, and trust me. I'm green as the hulk with axe3

I think the simplest test would be to put some headphones on and see what it sounds like direct from the Axe? Does it sound better, worse or the same as through the outboard?

Funny, I dumped my Rocktron Prophesy for an Axe-FX II, and then my current Axe-FX III. Never ever had a problem exceeding the gain I had on the Rocktron.

My current fave is a Herbie CH3 evolved from a Devin Townsend preset in the factory banks #372, try scene #6

Funny, I dumped my Rocktron Prophesy for an Axe-FX II, and then my current Axe-FX III. Never ever had a problem exceeding the gain I had on the Rocktron.

My current fave is a Herbie CH3 evolved from a Devin Townsend preset in the factory banks #372, try scene #6
I went from the ADA to the Prophesy and then to the AxeII and now AxeIII.

Back
Top Bottom