String Tension Question-oh well

Stratman68

Axe-Master
String tension issue, sort of...............
Never mind-
Hmm-thought the shorter the length of the string that less tension is required to tune it to pitch-

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's correct. Say you've got a 25" (number chosen for ease of math) long string tuned to A440. If you halve the length to 12.5", at the same tension, you're now at A880. So, to get back to A440, you have to reduce the tension. Also, smaller gauge strings require less tension for the same pitch. Imagine a high-E tuned down 2 octaves, much less tension than the low-E.

Pretty sure that's correct. Say you've got a 25" (number chosen for ease of math) long string tuned to A440. If you halve the length to 12.5", at the same tension, you're now at A880. So, to get back to A440, you have to reduce the tension. Also, smaller gauge strings require less tension for the same pitch. Imagine a high-E tuned down 2 octaves, much less tension than the low-E.
OK-the issue seems to be, for me anyway, the scale is NOT 24.75 as ADVERTISED. It's closer to 25.5"????????????????????????
on my NEW Eastman T484

Um, yeah, that would do it... Gotta love truth in advertising... What gives?
Not sure-but I measured it a few times. May be 25" or 25.25" but it's definitely not what I thought or BOUGHT.
I found 2 different articles on this guitar and one says 24.75 and the other say 25"???????
correct me if I am wrong but I measured the front of the nut to the front of the Gotoh tune matic bridge. It's 25". Of course the saddles are at 25.25"

I usually measure to the middle of the saddles in an attempt to average out the difference in intonation settings. I've seen many guitars vary a 1/4" or so from what they're "supposed" to be. I might believe that 25" could be 25.25" but that's sure not 24.75"!

Just checked both Eastman's and Sweetwater's sites and they both say 24.75... Hmm...

From another angle... how much does this bother you? I have both Fenders and Gibsons, and am used to switching back and forth. I don't really notice anymore, but if I pick up a baritone or a Jaguar, it kinda throws me for a loop for a bit.

Edit: Meant to include that, if you like the guitar and it's a good guitar (hearing lots of good things about Eastman), is this something that you could live with, maybe adjust for with slightly lighter gauge strings?

I usually measure to the middle of the saddles in an attempt to average out the difference in intonation settings. I've seen many guitars vary a 1/4" or so from what they're "supposed" to be. I might believe that 25" could be 25.25" but that's sure not 24.75"!
Yes I agree 100%. I know it's only 1/4" but I wanted a 24.74" scale since I have all Strats and Teles.
Not really sure what I will do yet. Returning guitars sucks. I mean it plays and sounds nice but specifically bought this guitar for BB King and other es style blues players stuff. I may get totally ridiculous and put an 8.5 and then an 8 on the high E :)
The B & G strings bend and paly nicely.

Eastman website info and Sweetwate info
T484
Get More Info
Neck Material:Maple
Fingerboard:Ebony
Fingerboard Radius:12"
Neck Profile:Traditional Even "C"
Nut:Bone 1.72" (44mm)
Nut Height:.022"
Fretwire:22 Medium Jumbo Jescar 47104-P
Scale Length:24 3/4"
Body Style:14" Thinline
Body Dimensions:14" x 1 3/4"

Yep, I can relate to that... It would be good if they got their specs published right... I'm sure retailers just take the manufacturers word for it, but still... And yeah, it might be just 1/4 of an inch, but I have 25" hollow-bodies and 24.75" hollow & semi-hollows, and I can definitely tell a difference. For me, the difference doesn't bother me, but I knew what I was getting into beforehand, too (I wanted them to be different).

The difference in tension should be fairly subtle from 24.75", but that's a pretty key spec to get wrong. Weird.
Yep, difference in tension is barely noticeable between my 25" and 24.75". Maybe if I'm paying attention, but not when I'm just playing. I use 9-46 on both (personal preference).

Yep, difference in tension is barely noticeable between my 25" and 24.75". Maybe if I'm paying attention, but not when I'm just playing. I use 9-46 on both (personal preference).
I put 9-44. The E A D are an NYXL set gauges but I changed the G B and E to match my 9-42's. Left the heavier E A D.
So it's 9-11-16-24-34-44

Back
Top Bottom