String Strecha

Doesn't the plastic get ground into the wound strings? (According to a demo video, one "hooks" a string into the device and moves it up and down the length of the string.)

Also, my phone suggested "hook a string into the devil". 😄

I bought one a few weeks back. I like it, but I'm entirely sold on it being better than the conventional finger stretch method. It slides pretty smoothly across the wound strings and I haven't noticed any wear on the strings. I read somewhere it was developed by Vai's tech.

I bought one a few weeks back. I like it, but I'm entirely sold on it being better than the conventional finger stretch method. It slides pretty smoothly across the wound strings and I haven't noticed any wear on the strings. I read somewhere it was developed by Vai's tech.
He used it but he also reverse strings Floyd’s. 🤡.
It’s not necessary and you are in danger of pulling too much.

But doesn't the plastic merging the wound string not add more resonance? ;) Yeah i'm not entirely sure what advantage this gives beyond expediency. I'm not a guitar tech restringing multiple guitars a day.

We've had discussions on this in the past.

I was a proponent of it for a long time.

@Andy Eagle provided some guidance and input.

While I never had any issues in using it, it's really not needed.

My reason for using it was that I felt like it was a more consistent way to stretch the entire length of the string.

Andy educated me the the entire string stretches anyway, even from just stretching the middle of the string.

These days, that's all I do - stretch from the middle maybe 6-8 times and that's it.

Doesn't the plastic get ground into the wound strings? (According to a demo video, one "hooks" a string into the device and moves it up and down the length of the string.)

Also, my phone suggested "hook a string into the devil". 😄
I used them for years. There was no sign of the material being degraded or getting on the strings...

However, see my previous post ;)

We've had discussions on this in the past.

I was a proponent of it for a long time.

@Andy Eagle provided some guidance and input.

While I never had any issues in using it, it's really not needed.

My reason for using it was that I felt like it was a more consistent way to stretch the entire length of the string.

Andy educated me the the entire string stretches anyway, even from just stretching the middle of the string.

These days, that's all I do - stretch from the middle maybe 6-8 times and that's it.
Ive been giving thought about proper stretching. is it useful to stretch side to side a bit you figure or mainly just lifting directly upwards a few times..I generally start at the neck heel lift up as i work my way up towards nut. 2x up and down each string. no idea how 'correct that is' just what i've always done

Ive been giving thought about proper stretching. is it useful to stretch side to side a bit you figure or mainly just lifting directly upwards a few times..I generally start at the neck heel lift up as i work my way up towards nut. 2x up and down each string. no idea how 'correct that is' just what i've always done
The side-to-side just like bending a string is what I do. Seems to work. After a change of strings, maybe 4 or 5 bends, retune, 4 or 5 bends, the tuning is stable.

I use my fingers and thumb. Two or three fingers under the string pulling up while simultaneously pushing down with my thumb. Move up the string couple of inches and repeat for the whole length of the string. Repeat on each string. Retune the guitar and repeat until it stops going out of tune.

I could see the Stretcha saving some raw fingers if I had to restring a bunch of guitars in a row. Same basic principle. I've never had that need so I've always done it by hand.

I accidentally used it once on coated strings and made a mess. Just use my fingers these days, and also pull 6-8 times as well, or until subsequent stretches without the string going out of tune. I also find holding for a second at the end of a stretch seems to speed up the process.

I would think you could also move the Stretcha a couple inches at a time and then stretch in one spot. Sort of taking separate bites on the string instead of sliding under tension. Seems like that would solve any plastic grinding in into the wound strings or fraying coated strings.

Back
Top Bottom