Streamlined Navigation Key behavior

Would you like to see this Streamlined Navigation Key behavior?

• No thanks, I love playing with *all* the buttons.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Radley

Experienced
Part 1: When using the L & R Navigation keys, instead of continually recycling through the same page, they would automatically take you to the next/previous page when you go past the last/first parameter, thereby eliminating the need to alternate between the Navigation and Page switches. When the Extended Parameters page is reached, the L & R keys will *continue* to scroll through the parameters (though the movement would now be up and down). When going past the last parameter on the last page, the cycle would begin again at the top of the first page, and vice versa.

Part 2: Pressing and holding the L or R key and then touching the opposite key will instantly take you to the next Page, thereby duplicating the action of the dedicated Page keys. This could actually free up the Page keys for other functions, since they would no longer be manditory :p

To Summarize: The end effect is a fast, continuous wrap-around navigation system using only two keys, which frees up the dedicated Page Keys for other creative uses :idea:

~Rad~

Radley said:
Part 1: When using the L & R Navigation keys, instead of continually recycling through the same page, they would automatically take you to the next/previous page when you go past the last/first parameter,
I prefer the present rollover behavior, and I would also like to see it implemented in the advanced, text-based menus, which use the Up/Down buttons. I take advantage of rollover whenever I'm iteratively tweaking parameters on the same page by scrolling in whichever direction will take the fewest keystrokes to get to the target parameter.

I might take issue with the choice of which controls in the amp block are on the same page. My preference would be for the controls you'd typically see on a physical amp - drive, bass, mid, treble, master volume, and presence - to be on a page together. IMO that would simplify amp tweaking in those cases that don't require fooling with the advanced parameters.

I just find it rather tedious constantly alternating up and down between the Navigation & Page buttons and like the idea of two buttons which can take you to any page or parameter, in either direction. There would also be much less physical wear on the switches by eliminating so many extra button presses. The two Page buttons could then become 'instant go-to', user programmable, or 'shift' buttons - the shift feature could be exciting in that it could give all the dedicated switches dual functions. A simple self-stick overlay could be made to change the names of the Page buttons.

I love my AFX, but I have just come over from the Boss GT platform where navigating the system/editing are both easier and faster, and I really don't think the AFX needs to be any less efficient in this area. Anything to 'streamline' the Axe's editing process will be a considerable selling point IMO.

I *don't* find it tedious, and I also have some experience with the GT's. The problem with eliminating the PAGE buttons and having the arrow buttons scroll through all the parameters is that there are a LOT of parameters to scroll through. With an LCD+buttons interface it's important to minimize the amount of scrolling required, because scrolling is very tedious and one of the things users of these interfaces often complain about. The Axe is smart and will remember which parameter you were on for each page, so you can quickly hop back and forth between Master Volume and Drive, for instance - that's much harder to do without PAGE buttons.

The awkward hold-right-tap-left-to-page trick is a kludge, in my opinion, and a poor substitute for just having an actual PAGE button - which we do. I don't see a great deal of utility in replacing this useful feature with a shift or "user programmable" button - to do what?

chase said:
I *don't* find it tedious, and I also have some experience with the GT's.
Ditto. I find the Axe-Fx UI generally more intuitive than those of the GTs I have owned. The necessity for multiple pages in the Axe-Fx blocks is a direct result of the far greater number of parameters the user can control, and IMO dedicated page select buttons are the best way to deal with that capability.

"The awkward hold-right-tap-left-to-page trick is a kludge, in my opinion, and a poor substitute for just having an actual PAGE button - which we do. I don't see a great deal of utility in replacing this useful feature with a shift or "user programmable" button - to do what?"

-----------------------

I respectfully disagree with the 'awkwardness' of it, but it's not a biggie. As far as user programmable buttons, they could do many things quickly, ie take you directly to the Amp block's advanced parameters, raise or lower the 8Kz sliders for the Global Graphics to emulate a master presence control on the fly, select the previous or next Cab, or Amp, or Tonestack... I personally will be using my Ultra for a lot of live arena concerts (speed is crucial), so having quick access to certain adjustments may be more important to me than some.

Cheers,
~Radley~

Radley said:
I just find it rather tedious constantly alternating up and down between the Navigation & Page buttons and like the idea of two buttons which can take you to any page or parameter, in either direction. There would also be much less physical wear on the switches by eliminating so many extra button presses. The two Page buttons could then become 'instant go-to', user programmable, or 'shift' buttons - the shift feature could be exciting in that it could give all the dedicated switches dual functions. A simple self-stick overlay could be made to change the names of the Page buttons.

I love my AFX, but I have just come over from the Boss GT platform where navigating the system/editing are both easier and faster, and I really don't think the AFX needs to be any less efficient in this area. Anything to 'streamline' the Axe's editing process will be a considerable selling point IMO.

I still have my GT10 and I hated that stupid wheel that you cannot grip and your hand falls off while trying to spin it? I almost always used the floorbrd sofware from Gumtree to edit because of the it and other nav problems. Maybe because I am a guitar player and a computer geek-I don't know, but I love the nav abilities of the AXe - it is logically designed and works real well for me and many others.I would not want to shoot right thru the pages-It is technically correct to have it limited to the blocks-that's the idea? It is designed that way for a reason. I am not sure if you enjoy using a PC but the software will be available soon-That should be Great!
Hope you get to enjoying the Axe for what it is- FABULOUS!!!!!!

fwiw, a "shift" type functionality won't happen, regardless of the merits of the uses.
can't find the post to cite, but basically two-button functions are out.

godprobe said:
fwiw, a "shift" type functionality won't happen, regardless of the merits of the uses.
can't find the post to cite, but basically two-button functions are out.

Cliff - Could you please confirm this? If that's the way it is, I won't waste any more time thinking along these lines. ;)

Thanks,
~Rad~

godprobe said:
Found it...
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2771&p=27771#p27771
FractalAudio said:
Your ideas are good and the input is appreciated, however the front panel doesn't decode multiple button presses. It only supports one button at a time.
Thanks for the link - that pretty much settles the dual button aspect of the idea, but I still think it would be a cool selectable option to have the L & R navigation buttons enabled to scroll through all the available parameters without having to use the page buttons by automatically switching pages in either direction, and wraping around when you get to the end or beginning ;)

~Rad~

Back
Top Bottom