Strat-Like Guitars on the market

Dolan

Inspired
Looking to purchase a Strat type axe and looking for something different than a Strat. Prefer an SSH configuration, 12" radius in the under 2000.00 price point. What's out there these days? Thanks!

Fender Player Plus Strat HSS has a 12” radius. The player and player plus lines are both excellent for the money. I replaced a Suhr with one and just put the same pickups in it. Put quite a bit of cash back in my pocket. I’m also in the process of making a “Fender Les Paul” with a Player Telecaster HH and Fralin modern PAFs (alnico 4).

Sterling by music man is also an excellent import brand for the money. Their Albert Lee p90 replaced a much more expensive boutique LP special I had, and the Valentine Chambered Bigsby replaced a much more expensive HH bigsby guitar. They make an HSS but I’m not sure of the radius off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Could be a bit limited to find something in that range that isn't a Fender but some to check out off the top of my head;

G&L, EBMM Cutlass (possibly), FGN Odyssey series (FGN are REALLY good), ESP/E-II Snapper, Yamaha Professional series (these have compound 10-14" boards).

Ebmm, EVH, schecter sun valley or nick johnson sig, ibanez AZ?, prs letteori, prs silver sky (s2 or se), charvels, should be a few options.

I’m probably a bit biased on this subject as I have the guitar pictured in my avatar, but personally I recommend researching Levinson Blade guitars. Definitely something in their range to fit your budget.

I’m probably a bit biased on this subject as I have the guitar pictured in my avatar, but personally I recommend researching Levinson Blade guitars. Definitely something in their range to fit your budget.
Dang, I was going to mention them too but wasn’t sure if they were still going.

Schecter Nick Johnston, and they recently launched a made in japan hss strat as well. Maybe you might be able to find a used usa schecter and maybe even a used suhr classic s or standard for about that price. Charvel also has some nice options.

Looking to purchase a Strat type axe and looking for something different than a Strat. Prefer an SSH configuration, 12" radius in the under 2000.00 price point. What's out there these days? Thanks!
Have you considered building your own? With a budget of 2k you can jump on the Warmoth web site and start designing exactly what you want.

Ibanez AZ and Charvels are also a good alternative

The AZ’s are nice. I picked up a AZ2204N and it’s a good guitar. SS frets and roasted neck and compound radius. And some oddball switching. The Duncan’s in there are bugging me though. Already swapped the bucker and the singles are next. Volume pot’s getting scratchy and it’s less than 2 years old. The hardware is solid. Worth looking at for sure.

I strongly suggest you check out Sonnemo Guitars (https://sonnemoguitars.com/). A bit pricey, but worth every penny. Check out the review in Guitar Interactive Magazine: https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/review/sonnemo-custom-stratocaster/ . I have a non-reliced white Strat, which is the best guitar I've ever had (and I 've had Tom Anderson, premium Ibanez, Blade RH4 etc.).
I was looking into but the website is not working at all... no way to discover prices and how to order / shop etc...
It's a pity because the guitars look gorgeous!

He mostly sells his guitars through music stores, but I’m pretty sure you can order directly from him. Prices (appr.) are around 3,500 € for the standard models and around 3,800-4,000€ for the top ones.

Last edited:
I really like my recently acquired Delos... Aside from the pickups being way too bright for my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom