Strat In-Between Tones & IRs

Phostenix

Power User
TLDR Version:

I'm finding that different IRs make a significant difference in how bright positions 2 & 4 are on a Strat. If you're finding that the in-between tones on your Strat sound a little dull, try some different IRs.

Storytime:

I let a friend demo my Strat with the Zexcoil Vintage pickup set. One of the things I love about the Zexcoil pups is that the in-between tones don't lose a lot of brightness & punch like Strat pups often do. I noticed it right away when I got them. I'm finding those tones don't disappear in a mix now. He plugged the Strat into a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4X10 combo. That amp sounded great with my guitar. I actually had a moment of considering getting one. Just a moment. :)

So, when I got home, I wanted to see how close the Axe could get to the tones I was getting from that Deville. I dialed up a made from scratch Super patch with the 4X10 Super producer mix IR. When I flipped to positions 2 & 4, they lost a noticeable amount of highs. I fiddled with the tone controls on the amp, but couldn't get what I was used to hearing. I finally switched back to my Twin & Deluxe Reverb patches & everything was normal.

Tonight, I decided to see whether it was the amp or the IR that made the difference. I went back to that Super patch & changed the IR to the Deluxe Reverb producer mix IR and the quack & chime were back, I then proceeded to rotate through a bunch of IRs to see how they affected positions 2 & 4. There was quite a bit of difference. I'll be checking this in the future as I build clean patches, for sure. :)

For sure, there's some significant but subtle high-end detail in the "in-between" positions that can easily be killed with the wrong IR. I think the same thing applies to the "stringy" character of even just single coils on their own.

BTW - do you like the Zexcoils a bit or a lot? I was thinking about getting the Fat Vintage set.

It would be interesting to see which frequencies you're hearing that you like on the 2 and 4 positions? If you can record yourself its easy to see the EQ differences. ;)

You can also use a superswitch to bypass the tone pots and go direct to the output (via the vol. pot) with the 2 and 4 positions. Scott Henderson uses this.

Weird. Because I've never played a strat that loses brightness in those positions. On the contrary.

Suhr wires some of their guitars to disconnect the tone pot in positions 2 & 4, so I must not be the only one to notice this. :)

It would be interesting to see which frequencies you're hearing that you like on the 2 and 4 positions? If you can record yourself its easy to see the EQ differences. ;)

You can also use a superswitch to bypass the tone pots and go direct to the output (via the vol. pot) with the 2 and 4 positions. Scott Henderson uses this.

Yeah, I figured the same thing - that it must be some high mid frequency that certain speakers reproduce better than others.

I have a custom wiring setup on this guitar with a dual Megaswitch M 5-way (2 Superswitches in 1), but I don't normally need to drop the tone pot in positions 2 & 4 with the Zexcoils.

I've been experimenting with positions 2 and 4 a lot more since upgrading to V10. I find they cut without being brittle now, where before I rarely touched them. I also notice that the 6th string on my 513 in clear-humbucking mode is tight now, whereas prior to V10 it was soft. Your thread makes me think it might be the new IR's in V10 that I've been experimenting with.

Terry.

I find the 2,4 positions vary from guitar to guitar and I have always struggled to find guitars that work for me in those positions. I used to have access to a '65 Strat for a number of years that just killed in every position. I think that set the bar a little high for me. I have a LsL Carl Verheyen model that I really like in the 2,4 positions. First SC guitar I've owned that doesn't leave me wanting in a number of ways... one of my "secret" weapons for years now that really works for me with single coils is to use an older model COT 50 with the knob all the way down. Just sems to impart a bit of magic to any amp I've ever used.

That said, I'm always up for suggestions on the Axe FX so I'll experiment with a little X/Y on the cabs just for this purpose.

Back
Top Bottom