Strap Lock Squeak

Phostenix

Power User
I finally put the strap locks on my Strat. I don't really need them, but I thought it would be more convenient for taking the strap off & putting it back on. But, since the locks are metal on metal, they squeak when they move at all. With high gain patches, that squeak comes through in the audio. I can't imagine that I'm the first to experience this, so does anybody have a solution for this?

What really "fun" is that it vibrates the trem springs. Like a built-in reverb! Yes, it's a PITA, and I don't have a solution other than changing to a different type of straplock. The Loxx ones are great.

Strap Loks require REGULAR lubrication (see enclosed instructions). The reason is 2 fold. 1. it prevents the squeaking mentioned here. 2. if not lubed the Strap-Lok will act as a wrench and UNSCREW the strap button until it rips out. Many people unknowingly blame the guitar manufacturer for this when it was their fault for for simply not reading the inclosed instructions.

Awesome tips! Thanks.

No directions? That's part of what happens when the straplocks are already installed and/or buying used. And I never thought to look on youtube for a fix.

Maybe I'll hang on to my strat after all... lol.

Seriously, who reads the directions :) I have the same issue. For a while I used the tip of a pencil to deposit some graphite in the cavity. I tried dry lubricants but that did not work. I will give the Vaseline a try. Thanks!

I use graphitall. It's made for guitar nuts, but it works all over the place include knife edges on tremolos and crap like that. It's probably kind of wasteful since that stuff is so expensive considering how little you get, but I've always got some around my guitars.

I thought that I was the only one that had strap lock squeak though. :)

I'm hesitant to put a liquid lubricant on the strap buttons. It seems like it will ultimately make a mess in my gig bag.

I'm surprised that no one has created a strap button with a Teflon or nylon coating.

They do stay attached, I thought I wouldn't like it either but I got used to it. They lock in and are Damage Proof never had one problem with them, solid and secure.

I hate the dimarzio's flapping around... clank clank clank. I have one on my yngwie strat and it stays attached to avoid the clank.

Back
Top Bottom