Strange thing happening with my hands and stuff...

HAHAHA well it's got nothing to do with being skinny :). It just helps one of my teachers,great jazz player he told me that most of his nerve problems and Carpel Tuneel Syndrome attacks stopped from regular Yoga.
well if it works for a jazz player, it won't hurt to try. I'm just wondering if I joined a class of some sort, the women there would give me dirty looks as they might think I joined just for the view. I wanna fix my hands. I'll stare at the lovely ladies once I'm outside the class. I'm a gentleman but I'm still a guy :D

Sam, I’m really sad to hear that you are having problems.
I have heard horrible stories of guitar players quitting the guitar because of the problems with their hands.
I’m a person who play guitar and sit infront of the computer all day, and when I’m at work I work as a builder. This is really stressful to the hands!
I remember during the holidays I tried practicing guitar all day for an entire week. My hands cramped up and I had to stop.
So I started playing less computer games instead, and having a relaxed relationship to practice guitar. Never practicing guitar for longs periods, but in intervals and always making sure I get as much out the practice as possible. Just like the mind needs rest, the muscles in your body does too. It’s like recharging the phone.
eating the right food is very important too. I don’t eat too much, not too little, I don’t drink sodas! I drink normal fat milk, tea or water.
I know John pretrucci has strech excersises and a certain way to play guitar. He explains them in his DVD called Rock Dicipline, and you can actually watch it on youtube.
Don’t take a persons words on how you should hold and play the guitar too seriously. If it feels good and your muscles are relaxed, that’s good enough.
A local musician I know changed his entire style of playing and holding the guitar from strict instructions from a guitar trainer, it resulted in him getting a serious hand problem and has never played guitar since.
No guitar player are the same! Our bodies are different and works differently, so find a style that suits your body the best.
When you say that your hands feel numb, it sounds like bad blood circulation. So some mild excersise where you move your arms would be good. Like running or walking. It also gives you good sleeping patterns and lots of energy for the brain.
It can also be psycological. Some people believe that our body has ”valves” and that stress shuts down those valves. these valves can be our mind, our arms, our legs, our stomach. And through therapy you ”open” those valves again.
Maybe ”your valves” are closed because of something that is stressing you. Eliminating that emotional/psycological or physical stress can open them again :)
Either way, regular excersise, healthy food and a good days sleep is better than any medicine in the world.
I can tell you this because I had a nervous breakdown couple of years back ending in a bad psycose where I couldn’t sleep, eat or live life (or play guitar for that matter) Everyday was a struggle with 10 panic attacks a day and a severe depression.
I had to choose if I wanted to live like this forever or actually get my finger out of my arse and do something about it. After one and a half year of running, eating and sleeping healthy, I’m now a cured man.
Everybody has a mountain to climb in life, be it money, stress or even a broken heart. Maybe this problem with your hands is your mountain and you need to climb it. But everybody here at fractal forum are cheering for you.
To sum it all up, my best advice is: Run everyday and eat healthy. Keep that blood circulation flowing!!! Really the best medicine there is.
Godspeed to you and keep us updated.
The consensus is pretty clear now. I have to eat healthy, exercise and develop better sleeping habits as a minimum. The only thing stopping me is: how do I start? I honestly have no concept on gradually giving up stuff. I've usually done cold turkey and that isn't exactly the best thing to do. As for the psychological side, there might be a point there and considering I work with psychologists and psychiatrists, I might ask some questions or have them refer me to someone they know to have them poke around my head. But for now, I wanna start with getting an answer about my hands and getting healthy. :)

I have experienced similar issues. My advice to you is go see a good Chiropractor. A lot of the issues with the arm are connected to nerves in your neck. It is amazing when he asks you to grip as hard as you can and he peels away your fingers. After adjusting the neck he could not. It will not hurt and the effects are felt right away. A good diet and rest are important too.

If you lift weights use a band on your forearm. That cuts on the aggravation to the elbow tendons. Computers have been good to me but the bad posture involved causes a lot of these problems.

Get well soon.
if anything, I'd see a good chiropractor before I ever contemplated surgery if I get to a point like that. The whole loud cracking noises are unsettling though :)

Sounds a lot like Carpal Tunnel. Of course it could be other things, but if it turns out to be CP: Western Medicine focuses on the carpal tunnel itself, often doing surgery. I am an 'ortho-bionomist' - a type of body work, and we often treat neck, shoulder, elbow for carpal tunnel with AMAZING success. I suggest you look into Ortho-Bionomy first, if anyone suggests surgery.

You can PM me for more info if you want.
if it is CP, I will try anything but surgery as I've heard enough stories to make me nervous. If I do get the diagnosis, you can be sure you'll have my pm in your inbox.

I forgot to add: when we work on 'carpal tunnel' people, we work a lot on shoulder blades as well. The back, the neck, the ribs all put pressure on things like the Brachial Plexus, and then the nerve dysfuntion 'travels down' to the hands.
Cool. But I haven't had a problem in more than a year. It lasted a couple of weeks and relieved almost immediately after doing stretches.

You might check into Jordan Rubin Though he is largely spiritual he knows nutrition and has some good explanations as to why and how on the thing your experiencing. IBS which I suffered for a wile can be different things, for me it was way too much boxed cereal which depending on what type you like can be loaded with SUGAR, White Flour and a ton of other things I can't spell. Combine that with a lot of Dairy and for me it was not good.

I would also read upon Chrone's disease and CFS Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which start out with the very symptoms your describing. I'm not saying you have these ailments just pointing out the fact that they do share the same problems and could be pointing to something your typical doctor is not familiar on how to diagnose.

My wife had CFS 15 years ago and at the time we had Kaiser Permanente couldn't figure out what her problem was so all they wanted to do was to put her on a ton of drug$ to basically mask the symptom instead of treating the cause. You may have to dig a lot deeper to find the cause to your problems. Everyone is different in how we respond to things, toxic or not but we are all a products of our environment and how much one can tolerate is an individual thing. Based on your post to me and my informed and unprofessional opinion it sounds like your nutrition is a big player in some of your health issues.
It's weird as IBS just caved in on me one day when I was finally starting to gain weight (I was like 120 at the time which for a 5'4 always thin kid like me, was AMAZING) and as a result, I've lost like 20-25 pounds because of it. My diet was pretty junky so I guess my body had to cave in one day as we aren't invincible. I don't have Crohn's as I actually had a colonoscopy (my bad if TMI) and I had nothing. CFS I may do some research into as that one hasn't occurred to me.

Ya know, a lot of people seem to have such negative experiences with Kaiser Permanente and all of mine were the exact opposite. Guess it might be luck of the draw or something.

If it is Carpal tunnel there is something called a "cats paw" you can order at catspaw.com . They are about $20 but I find mine very useful. The cats paw enables you to exercise your fingers in the opposite direction that you normally use them. With playing guitar and most everyday tasks you are contracting your fingers and palm together. This device enables you to stretch/exercise them the opposite way.

if anything, I'd see a good chiropractor before I ever contemplated surgery if I get to a point like that. The whole loud cracking noises are unsettling though :)

I have known many people that got their backs screwed with a surgery. Unless the spine is deteriorating I would not advise you take that route. As for the cracking... it feels WONDERFUL!

Physical therapy (deep tissue messages) help too. They work on the tendons all the way from the neck down to the hands. Works wonders. The best part is you are taking no medication, no side effects, and instant or quick results.

If it is Carpal tunnel there is something called a "cats paw" you can order at catspaw.com . They are about $20 but I find mine very useful. The cats paw enables you to exercise your fingers in the opposite direction that you normally use them. With playing guitar and most everyday tasks you are contracting your fingers and palm together. This device enables you to stretch/exercise them the opposite way.

Or use a good rubber band around the fingers and stretch outwards. That works the top side of the forearm.

if it is CP, I will try anything but surgery as I've heard enough stories to make me nervous. If I do get the diagnosis, you can be sure you'll have my pm in your inbox.

Dude, PM ME! Or google the Society for Ortho-Bionomy and find a nearby practitioner. There are lots in Calif. Give him/her 4-6 weeks. I bet dollars to donuts you'll be MUCH better!

This is good for some folks, but be aware, for others (like me) it actually makes things worse...

Back
Top Bottom