Strange ringing sound on new guitar

Frozen

Inspired
Hey guys,

since recently I notice a strange ringing sound on my Suhr Rasmus Guitar that occurs only on the high e string. It is also audible when unplugged, but I can't determine its origin (= can't say if this ringing is coming from the bridge or the nut). Does anyone know what that could be?

Sounds like you might have a high fret. Try raising the string height just a tad. If that does not fix the problem, I suggest you take the guitar to an experienced luthier and have him or her check it out. Might just need a fret dress. Just my $0.02

Does the ring stop at any point as you fret higher up the neck? Might be a high fret or saddle height too low on the e string .... or nut slot cut too deep

The saddle itself is another area to look at - is it firmly seated and no wobbles (when string off)? If the saddle is touching the b string saddle it might vibrate too - try jamming a bit of paper between e and b saddles to see if it stops the buzz

Thanks for your hints. Don't have an allen wrench with me right now so I can't try raising the string height until tomorrow. The ring is very much noticeable on the empty string and a little bit on the first fret. After that, it disappears. I tried to jam the paper between the two saddles, but it had no effect

Last edited:
The ring is very much noticeable on the empty string and a little bit on the first fret. After that, it disappears. I tried to jam the paper between the two saddles, but it had no effect
Well it isn't the saddles - so you can take the paper out again :)

I'd hazard a guess it's the nut E string slot cut a bit too low and possibly the 1st 3 frets need a little bit of dressing ..... your best way forward is do as Geezerjohn suggests take it to a decent tech (your local music store should probably know one if you don't) and get that checked out ... wouldn't be a big job to fix

Before you go too crazy on getting it worked on, try new strings. I was having this weird warble on notes over the 12th fret on unwound strings on my Charvel Pro-Mod. I adjusted the crap out of everything and no change. I was blaming the korean OFR, the springs, pickup height, you name it. Then I changed strings (actually changed brand too) and the warble is gone.

Thank you guys, I fixed it by putting a piece of paper in the nut on the e string. I don't exactly know why, but it solved the ringing!

If it's a normal style nut then the slot was cut too deep and putting paper under the string raises it (but likely deadens the string a bit too!). Getting a new nut fitted and slots filed to suit your string gauge would be the 'proper' thing to do in that case .... but if paper doesn't annoy you then keep on doing what your doing and play guitar ;)

Have you tried a new or different string? I've experienced a similar issue on different guitars. Don't understand how a plain string could be defective but replacing the string usually cured it for me.

Back
Top Bottom