Strange oscillation

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
This has been bugging me for a while. I believe it to be unrelated to the Axe since it just seems to be a characteristic of one guitar I own... my Custom Shop Strat. When I play the high E at the 12th fret I get this horrible oscillation. (Clip below.) The clip is the bridge pickup but all the pickups demonstrate the same sound. I was very careful to mute all the other strings when I played it.

What would cause this? Are my pickups too close to the strings?
[attachment=0:17sww9jv]sound.mp3.zip[/attachment:17sww9jv]

Attachments

• sound.mp3.zip
    225 KB · Views: 53
do you got this sound on all your patches? Sounds like a brocken ADC to me.....try both inputs (Input1 and Input2) of your Axe, just to check if there is any difference....

Mr.PC said:
do you got this sound on all your patches? Sounds like a brocken ADC to me.....try both inputs (Input1 and Input2) of your Axe, just to check if there is any difference....
No difference. But I don't get it with my other guitars so as I say, I don't think it's an Axe issue.

The oscillation can be caused by old or worn strings or by the height of the pickups if they have strong magnets.

SUP? :mrgreen:

MisterE said:
The oscillation can be caused by old or worn strings or by the height of the pickups if they have strong magnets.

I would say this, or the string sitting/worn into in the saddle funny. I have heard this before on my own guitars on occasion, from old strings, and have had one or two do it due to something funny with brand new strings. I would change the string + check the saddle(and nut for that mater) for anything odd, and check the intonation on that string. I have found that changing brands of stings can make your intonation get off due to different manufacturing process.

Hope the answer is in there somewhere.

MOSHON
DAVE

Not the bridge pickup height.
The middle and neck pickup seem to be able to cause this.
How old are your strings?

I'm no Luthier by any means... I can barely change out my own strings!!! But to me it sounds like the string may not be sitting in a smooth groove on either the nut or the saddle... maybe even both... kinda of like the saddle is lightly touching the string to create a crazy sounding overtone.

The guitar has a Floyd Rose double locking system so unless the groove in the locknut is pitted I don't see how this can be causing the problem. Anyway, I'll try changing the string next and see if that helps.

Stringtheorist said:
The guitar has a Floyd Rose double locking system so unless the groove in the locknut is pitted I don't see how this can be causing the problem. Anyway, I'll try changing the string next and see if that helps.

I was just covering all basses suggesting the nut. as I didn't have enough info about your axe, but now that I know,, OH,,,,and,,,,, I have worn a floyd nut from years of extreme bar usage, and,,also have received a faulty nut direct from the company(which they replaced) that had some weird buzzing on the B string due to the way it was cast.
All my guitars(mostly Jacksons) are floyd equipped ,, that's why I said to also check the saddle, cause I have definitely had this problem before, usually it was just a worn string thing right as it crests the saddle from the lock block(occasionally weird new string) but have also seen it being from

1) The string sitting in the saddle funny,,,like if it is not locked down in the block centered, and off a little to one side before it travels across the crest of the saddle.

2) The saddle being slightly cocked one way or the other, sometimes it isn't all that noticeable, but if you were to unlock the saddle they will definitely move from side to side.

3) In combo with 1&2 the intonation might be off, or have slipped a little.those little saddle bolts are infamous for that

BTW, is it an OFR or a licensed floyd? standard or low profile?

Hope some of that helped,, I know how irritating that can be for sure ;)

MOSHON
DAVE

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was due to the string being old and worn, as it happens. Put on a brand new string and bam! ... Problem solved. Damn. :eek: :)

I better change my strings too as they have been on for years :oops:

...and I have the exact same problem.

Back
Top Bottom