Strange L/R behavior - solved

Chuck P

Inspired
I have a preset in which the L channel is 3-4dB louder than the R channel for no obvious reason. It's not stopping me from doing anything, except it's driving me crazy.

notes:

1. You can see the level difference on the output block meters, so the issue is not downstream of the Axe
  2. Balance control on the output block is at 0.0
  3. Behavior appears even when every block except Input and Output are bypassed
  4. Only one input/output are active and there's no hinky routing - just one linear row of blocks

Any ideas? I don't think it's any global parameter, because it seems to be just this one preset.

axe_edit.png

Thanks for any insights folks may have.

I suggest viewing the block meters to see if the L/R imbalance starts after a certain block in the chain. That should help you figure out if one of the blocks is causing the issue. It is my understanding that some blocks can affect the sound even when they are bypassed (depending on bypass mode of that block). I could be wrong about that however as I am still fairly new to the FAS family of products.

Thank you for your response! The only L/R meters I know of are in the Output block - is there a way to analyze stereo levels at other points in the chain?

I don't know how to do it in Axe Edit, but on the hardware itself go to the layout view, zoom out, and then page over and you will be able to view the input / output meters for each block.

None of the bypassed blocks should be affecting the sound, beyond being able to choose mute or thru for the bypass mode. As Zed said if you go to the real Axe and switch to meters view you can see the meters for each block.

What does your input block look like, is there any pan there? Which input are you plugging into, input 1?

Thanks everyone.

1. Here is the preset
  2. I don't know of a pan in the Input block
  3. Yes, plugged into Input 1
  4. I don't think I have ever even touched or looked at the Axe FX since I installed it- I didn't even know there were meters on it! The left side is louder on the input block on the physical device meters. All that is plugged in to the device is a guitar on Input 1.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Chaz_C22_simpler_WCP4.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
You guys are something else. A quick resolution to the issue and I learned several things in the process. I need to rethink a couple of more complex presets based on this insight - I would never have considered that a bypassed block would affect the signal. I'll bet I have weird stuff happening that I had no idea about. All online communities could stand to be as welcoming and productive as this one. Thanks!

If you want to be able to pan your reverb and not affect the dry, run it in parallel at 100% wet and then use the input level to set the mix. You can then use Mute FX In as the bypass type and get spillover tails, and your dry signal is left alone.

Last edited:
If you want to be able to pan your reverb

This is an excellent tip. However, I assure you I was not trying to pan the verb - I (or perhaps my 14yro son) must have bumped the control in error. My kid has been spending more time in my studio during the quarantine, which I absolutely love, but I'm still not used to things not being where I left them. I suspect I'm not alone in this...!

Back
Top Bottom