Strange CC behavior

phatdude

I'm trying to set up an instant access switch to turn on the delay and reverb blocks. On one preset it works great. On all others the first time I send the CC message it gets ignored but then works properly every time thereafter, so I end up having to step on the switch twice. It tried attaching this same CC # to the drive block and of course it works perfectly on all presets....I just can't get it to work right with the delay and 'verb blocks. Could be operator error, but I've racked my brain and can't figure out what I could be doing wrong, especially since it works with the drive block.

P.s. I attached all three blocks and the same thing happens - the drive works as it's supposed to but the delay and 'verb always ignore the first message.

phatdude said:
I'm trying to set up an instant access switch to turn on the delay and reverb blocks. On one preset it works great. On all others the first time I send the CC message it gets ignored but then works properly every time thereafter, so I end up having to step on the switch twice. It tried attaching this same CC # to the drive block and of course it works perfectly on all presets....I just can't get it to work right with the delay and 'verb blocks. Could be operator error, but I've racked my brain and can't figure out what I could be doing wrong, especially since it works with the drive block.

P.s. I attached all three blocks and the same thing happens - the drive works as it's supposed to but the delay and 'verb always ignore the first message.

what are you using for a foot controller. sound like the foot controller is sending an off first then an on.

phatdude said:
javajunkie said:
what are you using for a foot controller. sound like the foot controller is sending an off first then an on.

Axess MFC5

I'm not very familiar with those. A couple of people use them here. StevieRay does, I believe.

What CC messages are you sending it? It should be getting the CC# of the effect (which it sounds like it is doing), then a value 0-63 for off and 64-127 for on. It sound like the first time you are sending it the same signal state it is already at.

Ok - operator error of course! Thanks java, as you suspected the first message it was sending was the state it was already at.

Yeah, the MFC5 doesn't have dedicated IA switches so-to-speak. You can program the switches to send CC only, but you can't overcome the mutually exclusive LED operation. To put it another way, only one LED can be on at a time (or none in the case of the master preset). I kinda use the MFC5 in a weird way. My switches are labeled BASE, FX, and TUNE. The BASE switch is the only one that sends PC commands. It sends the PC command that corresponds to the bank number shown on the LED display. There are only 27 banks, so I only have 27 presets I can recall. For me, that's plenty. I still haven't come up with 27 money sounds. I usually get by with only one preset. The FX switch is tied to the global bypass feature. The TUNE switch is tied to the tuner. I have an external TAP tempo switch and an external CC pedal that I absolutely rely on. I like this setup a lot. It's small, all business, and helps me concentrate on playing. I want to upgrade to the Fractal controller but I'm sure it will be overkill. I'll almost certainly live in one preset when I can bring more stuff in/out individually.

This setup came about from a realistic look at what I really need and numerous previous systems that were large and complicated.

It's also worth noting that I don't use the master preset. I originally had my master preset set to tune, but I found it WAY too easy to accidentally double click or inadvertently click a switch while playing and mute my whole rig. I removed all programming for the master preset.

Here's a pic!

stevieray said:
Yeah, the MFC5 doesn't have dedicated IA switches so-to-speak. You can program the switches to send CC only, but you can't overcome the mutually exclusive LED operation. To put it another way, only one LED can be on at a time (or none in the case of the master preset). I kinda use the MFC5 in a weird way. My switches are labeled BASE, FX, and TUNE. The BASE switch is the only one that sends PC commands. It sends the PC command that corresponds to the bank number shown on the LED display. There are only 27 banks, so I only have 27 presets I can recall. For me, that's plenty. I still haven't come up with 27 money sounds. I usually get by with only one preset. The FX switch is tied to the global bypass feature. The TUNE switch is tied to the tuner. I have an external TAP tempo switch and an external CC pedal that I absolutely rely on. I like this setup a lot. It's small, all business, and helps me concentrate on playing. I want to upgrade to the Fractal controller but I'm sure it will be overkill. I'll almost certainly live in one preset when I can bring more stuff in/out individually.

This setup came about from a realistic look at what I really need and numerous previous systems that were large and complicated.

It's also worth noting that I don't use the master preset. I originally had my master preset set to tune, but I found it WAY too easy to accidentally double click or inadvertently click a switch while playing and mute my whole rig. I removed all programming for the master preset.

Here's a pic!

This looks like the setup I want! Those big midi controllers kinda scare me now that I think about it. I don't really usually need mass presets, I like having my main clean, and just having a couple of drives and effects on top of that.

I haven't got an axe-fx yet, but this might be what I'm after.

With that mfc-5, can you say have those 3 switches to turn on/off say a drive, a delay and a chorus? within the one bank?

Back
Top Bottom