Straight To Board (FOH) Help

Habuman

Power User
Hello,

I finally got my AXE FX II back from my son. He has been using it for the last year with his band. Unfortunately, he is somewhere in Hawaii right now so I can't ask him this question.

I plan to use the AXE FX II for playing live. Is it as simple as just plugging straight to the board or do I need to configure the routing within the AXE?

Eventually I will probably get a Matrix Amp so I can run through a cab but for now it is straight to FOH.

Thank you,

Roy
Okinawa, Japan

You can run straight to board and get great results. You'll want some way to monitor yourself on stage. People usually get a FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) powered monitor if they aren't using a real cab on stage. The advantage to a FRFR monitor is, you can take full advantage of all the Cabinet IR's in the Axe Fx, and hear them as they were intended. A FRFR monitor won't color the IR, so each cab sounds correct.
You can get the Matrix and passive FRFR, or even a standard guitar cab. But since guitar cab imparts it's own sound from the speakers it uses, you would disable the Cab block in Axe Fx and have 1 cab sound instead of many.
There are a ton of threads on forum debating benefits of each method. I prefer the Active FRFR monitor, I have a RCF NX12SMA and love it. Other hot Powered FRFR now is the Atomic CLR.
Both are lightweight and have amp built into speaker so only 1 thing to carry in!

You could also just fold back the Axe Fx sound through same monitors you're hearing vocals through onstage. But much better to have your own sound and control.
You can also skip all of the above and use In Ear Monitors (IEM's).
Up to you.
However you choose to hear yourself, Axe Fx sounds best going straight to board. Audience will hear Axe exactly as intended.
Just run Output 1 on back of Axe to board or snake. XLR or 1/4" both work the same, it's Line Level, so you may have to Pad the input on board or reduce Output 1 on front of Axe so signal isn't too hot.
To have Output 2 send same signal, go to I/O on Axe Front Panel and set Output 2 to Echo Output 1. That way, Output 1 on front of Axe is for volume to your board and Output 2 is for volume of your stage monitor/Matrix/cab or IEM.
Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPhone

Bill,

Thank you for the information. Exactly what I was looking for. I plan to get some active monitors soon.

Roy

No problem. You'll find excellent reviews of the RCF NX12sma and the Atomic CLR on the forum here if you search.
My experience with RCF has been awesome and until the CLR became the flavor of the month, the RCF was considered top dog. You can probably find good used prices on RCF, Atomic might be slightly more. Neither is cheap, but quality on both is pro level.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

Resume this 3D for to ask some question about running direct to board.
How do you link the L/R outs from teh Axe to the board?
1 - Do you go to a stereo channel?
2 - Do you go to 2 separate mono channels?
3 - Do you go only left/mono to a single mono channel?
And If you go like #2 (left to a channel and right to another channel) how do you set the pan? i mean do you hard pan all the way left and right or do you stick the 2 channels to the center?

Back
Top Bottom