Stoner with the Axe-FX ?

Eldogond

Inspired
Hey there ! It's been a while ;)

I've been recording and mixing my band's upcoming album recently, and here is a teaser freshly stem mastered by Acle Kahney (TesseracT's guitarist, and 4D Sounds engineer).

All the guitars, and the bass were recorded with the Axe-FX II.
So yeah, the beast can also be stoner and fuzzy, for sure ! I guess that's not a surprise :p

Pretty much based on the Brit 800, with PI fuzz. A lot more were used on the album, but for this teaser I think that's it.
SV bass/cab for the bass, always sounding great, especially with that Fender bass.

We're also crowdfunding the physical release for the album, as a Digipack.
It's here, and if you like what you hear, feel free to check our previous album, and help us, it would be awesome ;)
Soundcrawler - Ulule

Thanks a lot guys !

Bass distortion is Full OD. The rat sounds great, sure, also love the BB Pre sometimes. :D

Feel free to check the crowdfunding campaign, to help us and get the album ! :p

OMG I love this guitar sound. Is the effect at the beginning an envelop filter or a wahwah?

The master sounds really great, Acle has been working some magic lately

Wow...that sounds very pro! Very thick and cool sound scape. Sounds like something I'd buy. The vocals aren't screamo and the guitar parts sound heavy without being heavily distorted. Kind of got a Deftones vibe from it too.

Thanks guys ! :D

Yep, it's a wahwah, so much possibilities with the wah in the axe-fx, unbelievable. I've been looking for a wah pedal, other than the 'axe-fx wah+expression pedal', but haven't been able to found one to replicate what the axe can do, so I'll just keep it for the live settings, sounds so good !

Acle definitely has skills in mixing and mastering. I started 'working with him' back in 2011 with my other project, Dorthal, and he has been improving and doing amazing stuff since then, it's just crazy.
He just gave life to this recording with his stem mastering skills, once more ! :p

Sounds great! Guitar tones + vocals are make or break for good stoner rock for me and both sound AMAZING here. GREAT job! Do you use the axe live? If yes, how do you find it for this type of music? I play drums in Sheavy, but play guitar as well using an Orange OR100 in other things.

Thanks guys ! :D

Well, yes, I use it live.
I have a Atomic Reactor 50/50 with the Axe-FX II, and an old Soundcity B110 cab... all of this controlled by a Voodoo Lab GCP, plus Ernie Ball VP-Jr, and I'm good to go ! :p

Sounds stunningly good !

Edit : I first used it with a EHX Magnum 44 instead of the Atomic, and I wasn't really happy with the sound. It was kinda cold, harsh in the high frequencies. Well, pretty lifeless, but still good, we got great feedback about our live tones/general sound, so I guess it worked. But yeah, I'm definitely happy with the Atomic it adds the warmth I wanted, and... this cab... hell it sounds good !
I think it works very well for this music style. I bought it at first for some prog metal, just as a lot of people, but I ended up using it for this band too, because it just sounds so good for all kind of music/tone. This fuzz... ahah, and this wah ! What else do we need for stoner anyway ? :p

And looks great, here's a pic :
Live rig'.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite genre's right now so it is nice to see someone doing it well with the Axe. I had really lamented the lack of good fuzzes on the Axe and I have been trying to get a good sound using a few fuzzes and the Orange models but I think my gain staging is still all messed up because the tone just sort of falls over in a bad way. This gives me that extra boost I need to go back to the drawing board on some of my presets. ;) Great work and best of luck with your album project.

Thanks guys ;)

Yeah, I got some hard time to find good fuzzy rhythm tones, but in the end it's possible, just not as easy to deal with as other distortions. Still got a lot of work on these ones, but I'm happy with it as always with the axe-fx !

Back
Top Bottom