STLTones - Erik Ron Bundle for AxeFX

Narsh

Experienced
STL Tones had a 4th of July sale this week and I figured I'd try one of their packs to see how they sound and how what I've created compares.

The pack itself wasn't terrible, around $40 for 37 patches and cab IRs.

I recorded, mixed and produced the track using my usual setup and I honestly found it a bit underwhelming. Erik's productions are pretty darn good but these just don't stack up.

I was really interested in the bass patches since that is where I thought I'd gain the most and I ended up not using them at all. They all sounded very muffled and just too darn bassy with little note definition. I understand they were meant for a Pbass type sound and I used a humbucker loaded yamaha bass but still - too boomy.

I don't think the pack is terrible by any means, just don't really stack up to my own patches. Again,just my .02. Its a great starting point for those who have little experience tinkering with the AxeFX.

Let me know what you guys think:

I had most of the packs for the Kemper and most of them I never ended up using. They are pretty pricey as well. Slight changes in gear can make a pretty big difference sometimes. Some of these presets are probably meant to sit in certain types of mixes as well.

Nonetheless, The recording sound pretty good!

Yeah I had heard that as well. Most of the reviews were from the Kemper forums. What I had seen on youtube was heavily produced tracks and wasn't able to get a good fee. Mainly, I wanted to see where my own patches sat in comparison to a real professional producer's offerings. Erik's work had a similar sound to some of my finished tracks so I figured I'd give it a shot.

After hearing it on a few different systems I agree it sounds pretty darn good for what it is - I still prefer my own patches but still, sounds good.

Thanks for checking it out.

Back
Top Bottom