Sticky scene x/y

Steve Beaujacks

I just bought my fx8 and am trying to understand the manual to set it up.... Terribly complicated manual and more than half of what is discussed in this forum is not there in the manual... Anyway, besides that gripe, in the fx8 version 1 manual it says that in sticky scene mode you can still x/y the footswitches but that doesn't seem to work with my fx8 II - pressing a footswitch for any length of time in sticky scene mode just changes the scene. That page is also mysteriously missing from the fx8 II manual (otherwise more or less identical to the fx8 I manual)! Does anyone know how to do this, am i again missing some essential knowledge not in the manual? Thanks for any help!

Do you have one of the F-switches set to control X/Y? From page 23 of the manual:

"IMPORTANT: If you assign an X/Y mode to any F-Switch, footswitches 1–8 will no longer use Press & Hold to toggle X/Y. However, their main Engage/Bypass function is then able to happen on the footswitch DOWN-STROKE instead of the UP."

I just bought my fx8 and am trying to understand the manual to set it up.... Terribly complicated manual and more than half of what is discussed in this forum is not there in the manual... Anyway, besides that gripe, in the fx8 version 1 manual it says that in sticky scene mode you can still x/y the footswitches but that doesn't seem to work with my fx8 II - pressing a footswitch for any length of time in sticky scene mode just changes the scene. That page is also mysteriously missing from the fx8 II manual (otherwise more or less identical to the fx8 I manual)! Does anyone know how to do this, am i again missing some essential knowledge not in the manual? Thanks for any help!
an older manual might have different information than a newer, updated manual corresponding to gear that has an updated firmware. i wouldn't depend on an older manual for a newer product.

i'm not aware of that feature at all, so perhaps it was in the very first versions of the FX8. there were substantial changes to the FX8 with Firmware 3.0, so i'm pretty sure that is not a possibility anymore.

Do you have one of the F-switches set to control X/Y? From page 23 of the manual:

"IMPORTANT: If you assign an X/Y mode to any F-Switch, footswitches 1–8 will no longer use Press & Hold to toggle X/Y. However, their main Engage/Bypass function is then able to happen on the footswitch DOWN-STROKE instead of the UP."

Thanks for the reply! In the meantime I've worked out that I can assign the 1-8 footswitches to scenes so I've done that for 3 scenes, and the other 5 to effects with x/y functionality. I haven't yet worked out how to send the right midi messages to my Marshall JVM to switch channels there with the 3 switches but I'm working on it....
But I'm now also intrigued by the possibility of an f-switch for x/y. What is the advantage of that? Does that cause all the active blocks to switch to Y simultaneously or just one?

Thanks for the reply! In the meantime I've worked out that I can assign the 1-8 footswitches to scenes so I've done that for 3 scenes, and the other 5 to effects with x/y functionality. I haven't yet worked out how to send the right midi messages to my Marshall JVM to switch channels there with the 3 switches but I'm working on it....
But I'm now also intrigued by the possibility of an f-switch for x/y. What is the advantage of that? Does that cause all the active blocks to switch to Y simultaneously or just one?

As @chris says, that makes it so you can tap a switch for an effect and have it switch its XY state instead of having that switch turn the effect on or off. However, it sounds like you may have been able to set those 5 switches to effects and utilize the press&hold to switch their XY states? If so, keep that little manual quote I posted in mind. ;)

As for MIDI messages, there's a MIDI tab I believe. You should just have to use your JVM's manual to ensure each FX8 scene sends the correct message to put the JVM in the state you want it. I think. I'm at work so can't get to my FX8.

Back
Top Bottom