Stewart Copeland on Beato

what amazes me through many of these interviews from Beato and others, is that the artists are often like "we didn't know what we were doing, we just did whatever we could with what we had, we just did a few takes and that's what's on the record" and that kind of sentiment.

these trailblazers were YOUNG when a lot of these legendary records were made and they just did what they did. there weren't as many rules in music back then, so whatever they did may or may not have had a new sound that people were looking for. i'm sure there are tons of records scrapped back then that "didn't work" but if we heard them today they'd be amazing.

today there are music formulas, due dates for the next thing to throw on Tik Tok, tons of music coming from bedrooms and people with no experience but you know we need a new song...

music used to be a form of expression and that was celebrated on the radio. but now it's a form of monetization for the publishers (or anyone other than the artist) and it doesn't matter what it actually sounds like.

so glad we can hear direct, great interviews from these artists who shaped some of the best periods of music when freedom of expression was put in the public ear.

what amazes me through many of these interviews from Beato and others, is that the artists are often like "we didn't know what we were doing, we just did whatever we could with what we had, we just did a few takes and that's what's on the record" and that kind of sentiment.

these trailblazers were YOUNG when a lot of these legendary records were made and they just did what they did. there weren't as many rules in music back then, so whatever they did may or may not have had a new sound that people were looking for. i'm sure there are tons of records scrapped back then that "didn't work" but if we heard them today they'd be amazing.

today there are music formulas, due dates for the next thing to throw on Tik Tok, tons of music coming from bedrooms and people with no experience but you know we need a new song...

music used to be a form of expression and that was celebrated on the radio. but now it's a form of monetization for the publishers (or anyone other than the artist) and it doesn't matter what it actually sounds like.

so glad we can hear direct, great interviews from these artists who shaped some of the best periods of music when freedom of expression was put in the public ear.
Agree, It was a time when the technology was at a point where quality was more easily captured, but had not taken over the whole process. People/Labels were willing to spend the money and let the artist grow. The producers and engineers would take the time and even help and add to the process, but not completely control it to the last detail. The old formulas had been abandoned for the most part and there were no formulas…yet. It didn’t last long, but it was great while it lasted.

I just recommended this in another post.

Stewart Copeland - The Rhythmatist

This is a great album. Stewart went to Africa in the days of 'Sampling' infancy & recorded tribal chants & drums which he incorporated into his style of composing. It's definitely worth a listen. Still one of my favorites.
I'll have to check it out.

I enjoyed the Oysterhead album he did with Les and Trey... Didn't find the Gizmodrome stuff very appealing.

Of course, I love Animal Logic - if you have not heard that check it out. Stanley Clarke on bass, Deborah Holland on piano and vocals. Studio guitarist Rusty Anderson as well... Andy Summers was originally the guitarist but didn't last long and not on the recordings.

I just recommended this in another post.

Stewart Copeland - The Rhythmatist

This is a great album. Stewart went to Africa in the days of 'Sampling' infancy & recorded tribal chants & drums which he incorporated into his style of composing. It's definitely worth a listen. Still one of my favorites.
I was a rare one that had The Rhythmatist album when it came out. Loved that and the movie he made about it.

I considered Stewart Copeland since the days with Police as one of the best drummers, but now I know, that he is also a very talented entertainer. I was laughing so much through this interview.

Back
Top Bottom