Stewart Audio World 1.2 --vs-- Art SLA-2

The Velocity has knobs that simulate tube amp reactance with the cabinet, yes, but it doesn't sound like a tube amp. Think of the two knobs more as EQ (deep and presence).

In other words, you still need to use the tube amp simulation in the Axe (and not rely on the Velocity supplying that part of the sound).

There have been several apples to apples shootouts between the Velocity and the SLA amps posted here on the forum.
I recommend at least checking them out before going ahead with the SLA.

I'm not sure what you're getting at... that the Art SLA-2 is just as good as a Stewart? :?:

And are you comparing the 11 Rack to the Axe-Fx?

True, but at one point the Axe-Fx was less known as well. Granted it's a more revolutionary product than a solid state amp, so it developed a following. I'd never heard of Stewart before asking around and from what I've heard, bass players really like it. And since I play metal, a good bottom end is important to me. The Stewart is lighter and has no moving parts in it, so it's quieter and won't ever need maintenance.. sounds like a time saver to me

I'll put up a review of it when I get it. I do most music shit by ear, so it'll be kept simple and I'll compare it to my Mesa 20/20

prometh said:
So, dialing back those knobs will make the amp completely transparent?
If all of those amps were completely transparent, the choice would be easy and nothing really to compare but the price.
But nothing is completely transparent unfortunately. Otherwise you wouldn't be considering the Stewart, right? :)

What I have to compare are three systems (in no particular order):

1x FBT Verve 8ma
2x Atomic passives with the Rocktron Velocity
2x Genelec 8040a studio monitors

All of them sound very good. Obviously, one of them I use in my studio, but for playing live, I prefer the Atomics with the Velocity.
My back prefers the Verve - incredible little thing really and it does sound great, but the atomics with the velocity sound a bit sweeter to my ear (softer highs and fatter bottom - YMMV!). Note that I have not tried the Atomics with the tube amp*

I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, but I think you should know about the options so you'll get the most bang for your buck.

* Also note that the Atomics with the tube amp should not be put in the same basket as the Mesa Boogie etc power amps. The amp in the active atomics is designed for a wide, relatively flat, frequency response but the others are designed for guitar, guitar preamp and guitar (not fr) cab.

Yeah, I'll just be comparing the feeling and punchiness of the Mesa with the Stewart. I'll have to do EQ work for it to at least sound the same, though

Jase2677 said:
paulmapp8306 said:
I like my VHT 2:50:5 but the fan noise sounds like a tornado compared to the Art I used to have - and its rather heavey. Im moving to a SS amp again soon - but it wont be the Art. After using the VHT I realise how poor the Art actually is (great for the money no doubt), there are many better SS amps about - though at a price, or in a 2U format.
Like what (other SS would you go back to)?

Im still waiting on the Pro Audio amp - which is 1U Class A/B, but that has its own problems (and also no real track record with fully built amps). I did A/B a pre-production model and it was very close to the VHT, and way better than the Art I had. Theres also the Bryston 2B-LP, though its out of my price range at present. Everything Else id look at are 2U units, and are pretty much all pricey compared to the Arts (though not in comparrison to my VHT). Anything by Bryston, Haffler, some of the higher quality Crowns. Anything of decent quality thats Class A/B with at least 200W per channel basically. There also "may" (I cant stress the May part enough) be a 1U Class A/B SS offering from Atomic/Fractal in the not too distant future.

the Art is great for the price, but the Pro-Audios 9if/when they get their act together) has prtential to be better for the same money, and the Art is still - when all said and done - a budget amp.

There also "may" (I cant stress the May part enough) be a 1U Class A/B SS offering from Atomic/Fractal in the not too distant future.
That would be nice. I'm not sold on the cabs/wedges currently released. Probably really good for certain applications but not for more demanding scenarios.

.... now back on topic :)

paulmapp8306 said:
There also "may" (I cant stress the May part enough) be a 1U Class A/B SS offering from Atomic/Fractal in the not too distant future.

What are you basing that comment on?

Jase2677 said:
Someone also recommended Crest poweramps, but if you do like 10 minutes of research you can quickily find that they are basically a Peavey poweramp and I don't remember them making anything I really get over excited about.

The Crest power amp everyone likes are the ones from before Crest was taken over by Peavey (10+ years old), not so much the current product lines.

S.R.

prometh said:
Yeah, I heard about the overheating, but since it only occurred in mono bridged mode, I should be fine as I'll be playing in stereo

And that was generally in bass guitar applications which are much more stressing.

srooijens said:
Jase2677 said:
Someone also recommended Crest poweramps, but if you do like 10 minutes of research you can quickily find that they are basically a Peavey poweramp and I don't remember them making anything I really get over excited about.

The Crest power amp everyone likes are the ones from before Crest was taken over by Peavey (10+ years old), not so much the current product lines.

S.R.

That is typical internet BS.

Jase2677 said:
joegold said:
prometh said:
I can't see the Art sounding bad (it's transparent), but build quality has been questioned by others

It doesn't sound bad.
But there are better sounding power amps out there.
The best thing about the SLA amps is the form factor.
The main contenders in the non Class-D, 1U, lightweight power amp category are the SLAs the Stewart stuff and the Bryston 2B-LP.
I just bought a used 2B-LP and it is significantly better sounding than my Art SLA1.
I have a feeling that the Stewart World 1.2 probably sounds real good too. And it has more power than the 2B-LP.
But the comments online about it overheating are troubling.
How many people have experience or actually own a Stewart or Bryston on here? Maybe 2? Doesn't it make sense that some of these SS poweramps have stood up to the test of time so to speak. There is new modeling gear out everyday like the 11 rack unit, but I don't plan to ever buy it and really don't think it is anything impressive at all. Someone also recommended Crest poweramps, but if you do like 10 minutes of research you can quickily find that they are basically a Peavey poweramp and I don't remember them making anything I really get over excited about.

Do another 10 mintues of research then. My CA9 is in no way a Peavey poweramp, whatever that means. It is pretty much the gold standard for lead sleds in the bass playing community, and has a very good rep and fairly long history in sound reinforcement.

joegold said:
paulmapp8306 said:

What are you basing that comment on?

Im not saying. I got into hot water with Tom King last time I mentioned specifics. It is not definate but probable, and definately not wishfull thinking.

plus a lot of the Hafler stuff is a poweramp that is fuul on, where there is no knob to be able to regulate volume yourself. I don't know about all models though.

This is the best way to run a power amp anyway. Control what feeds the amp from the Axe front pannel for you volume.

Back
Top Bottom