Stewart Audio World 1.2 --vs-- Art SLA-2

Dude, I already did that, so you haven't helped me.

The Stewart is a higher wattage and doesn't use fans, but most everything else in the spec list goes over my head. I ain't no amp guy, I just want shit to sound good. So, please spare me the egotistical trash.

Again, I ask what the advantages are going with a Stewart.

stewart has a high damping rate >500 and the world 1.2 is a class H which i don't know much about however the world 600 appears to be a class ab amp which is what Cliff recommended (sorry can't remember where) to be an ideal solution with the axe. They both claim a relatively flat response across the entire spectrum. I've heard mixed reviews on the art but a lot of people really like them, I've never heard anything about the stewart but it looks like from the specs to be an awesome amp. I'm by no means an expert but I've just spent time researching this on these forums. However, I get the impression that you just want somebody to say "dude this sounds better" and that's just too subjective to happen. You'd be much better off doing a bit of work to understand whats going on. All that aside they both look good on paper, with the edge going to the stewart line deservedly so as it costs over twice as much.

prometh said:
Dude, I already did that, so you haven't helped me.

The Stewart is a higher wattage and doesn't use fans, but most everything else in the spec list goes over my head. I ain't no amp guy, I just want shit to sound good. So, please spare me the egotistical trash.

Again, I ask what the advantages are going with a Stewart.

I haven't seen anyone do review on Stewart Audio yet and I have looked... I thought about the CVA 7800 a few years back but @ 1K new, the money is a bit much for the power you get in that space. Unless you can find a good deal on one or have the cash to try one I might look else wear. Does it have to be a light weight single space amp?

I'm strongly considering the Stewart 'cuz it doesn't have any fans that could break down in the future. Plus, it's quieter. The only thing about it is that the manual recommends leaving some space above it in the rack and I don't like that. Fans would probably alleviate the need for this.

As far as needing a lightweight amp, it'd be nice, but that feature alone isn't worth a high price. I'm mostly looking for long-term value and overall best sound possible. I have no idea whether the Stewart will truly sound better than the Art, though

Stewart has been making lightweight amps for a while now, and have a good reputation with the bass playing community, who's needs are more demanding than anything we will ever throw at it (assuming you are only using the Axe for guitar). I know some bass players who have used this amp with very positive sonic results. A common complaint among bass players with lightweight amps is that they don't have the same girth/punch/authority that you get with classic lead sleds such as the Crest CA9, but folks seem to like the Stewarts better than some of the offerings from QSC (PLX line). This debate usually turns into a big discussion about gain matching which we won't go into here. Some folks did have problems with thermal shutdown when running this amp bridged, though it may have been addressed in later updates, and I would bet money you won't have an issue using it with guitar since it is a much less demanding application.

I would expect the overall better build quality (USA!) and components to translate (mainly at higher volumes) into more punch, clarity, and absence of top end brittleness when compared to the ART. Bridged power can't hurt either.

If I didn't already have four other power amps, and/or was looking to go the lightweight, single space route, this is the one I would get - a high quality unit like the Axe-Fx deserves high quality SS! amplification. Not a knock on the ART by any means, it is great for what it is.

Great, thanks! I've been thinking about it and your message helped solidify my decision; I'm gonna get the Stewart. Found a good deal on one for ~$400, but it's an older model

prometh said:
Great, thanks! I've been thinking about it and your message helped solidify my decision; I'm gonna get the Stewart. Found a good deal on one for ~$400, but it's an older model

Cool, please keep us posted/shoot me a PM and let us know how it works out. I don't need another power amp, but there is always GAS!

prometh said:

Cool, please keep us posted/shoot me a PM and let us know how it works out. I don't need another power amp, but there is always GAS!

I've heard the SLA-2 has lower build quality. Fans in my desktop computers of the past have broken and needed replacing and I'd rather not have to do this with anything in my rack

I like my VHT 2:50:5 but the fan noise sounds like a tornado compared to the Art I used to have - and its rather heavey. Im moving to a SS amp again soon - but it wont be the Art. After using the VHT I realise how poor the Art actually is (great for the money no doubt), there are many better SS amps about - though at a price, or in a 2U format.

Regarding fan noise on the Art SLA models...
Some units do have louder fans than other units.
I think it's just a quality control issue.
I originally rented an SLA1 then an SLA2 from L&M.
Then I bought a new SLA1.
When I got it home its fan was much louder than the 2 rental units.
I took it back and exchanged it for a different unit and it's been fine ever since.

I can't see the Art sounding bad (it's transparent), but build quality has been questioned by others

prometh said:
I can't see the Art sounding bad (it's transparent), but build quality has been questioned by others

It doesn't sound bad.
But there are better sounding power amps out there.
The best thing about the SLA amps is the form factor.
The main contenders in the non Class-D, 1U, lightweight power amp category are the SLAs the Stewart stuff and the Bryston 2B-LP.
I just bought a used 2B-LP and it is significantly better sounding than my Art SLA1.
I have a feeling that the Stewart World 1.2 probably sounds real good too. And it has more power than the 2B-LP.
But the comments online about it overheating are troubling.

Yeah, I heard about the overheating, but since it only occurred in mono bridged mode, I should be fine as I'll be playing in stereo

There is also Rocktron's Velocity 300 in the 1U department. I don't know what type/class of an amp it is though. But it works and sounds good. My only complaint is that it's twice as heavy as the Stewart Audio one.

Back
Top Bottom