Steve Vai Inspired Epic Lead Sound w/ York Audio IR's

The Raven

Inspired

Hello everyone,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. I made a video showing how I dialed in the lead sound from my older YT video comparing the Ibanez JEM and the PIA. in the comments section of that video, I had quite a few people asking me to show how I got the sound, so I finally got around to making a tutorial.

Because the preset uses third party IR's, I can't really post it here, but hopefully the walkthrough is helpful. This is my first time trying to make a tutorial/preset walkthrough video so any constructive criticism on that front would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you guys like the tone/video. Let me know if you have any questions or if I accidentally skipped over something in the video that you were interested in.

Hey there,

Thank you for the video, its sounds great man.

So I followed the video in this post and copied the settings and got the correct IR, But the COMP, Wah, Phaser, CAB2, Enhance, Chorus, Pitch, Flange are all not being reviewed. Is that intentionally?
I can get it if you rather not share your work, but if that's not the case I am very interested in the other settings.

Posting the preset without the CABS is also an option if your up for it.

Anyway great video. The preset sounds awesome. Oh almost forgot, what a guitar man with the Gold HW. It make the guitar like "my precious". ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey there,

Thank you for the video, its sounds great man.

So I followed the video in this post and copied the settings and got the correct IR, But the COMP, Wah, Phaser, CAB2, Enhance, Chorus, Pitch, Flange are all not being reviewed. Is that intentionally?
I can get it if you rather not share your work, but if that's not the case I am very interested in the other settings.

Posting the preset without the CABS is also an option if your up for it.

Anyway great video. The preset sounds awesome. Oh almost forgot, what a guitar man with the Gold HW. It make the guitar like "my precious". ;)

Cheers
Hello,

Thank you so much!

Yeah I intentionally left those out since I never used them for my original lead tone in the JEM/PIA comparison I did a while back now. All those blocks were basically just me experimenting with different things when I was making the preset, but I ended up sticking with just the blocks I went over for the sound. Cab2 in particular was literally just for trying the same combo of mics with different York audio IRs I own and stock cabs on the fly before I landed on the Friedman cab as my favorite for this.

So yeah, basically all those other effects where just thrown in for the sake of playing around with different things, but since this was my first time making a video like this, I thought I’d do myself and everyone a favor by trying to keep it concise and focused on the sound they were specifically requesting ;). I actually also usually have extra output block on presets like this before the time based effects just so I have the option of using plugins for delays/reverbs after the fact if I end up unhappy with the recorded fx. I had the foresight to delete that block before filming the screen capture to avoid confusion, since I did ultimately stick with the baked in fx for the final product.

Hey there
Thank you for the reply.

I used the preset like as I Copy'd it from you, but still its not very usable. It's very present at the high end but its not sounding pleasant like your YT video sound.
I am using an Ibanez Jem with Evolution 2 pickups. I will tweak some more. This is a perfect starting point to build up the tone.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Hey there
Thank you for the reply.

I used the preset like as I Copy'd it from you, but still its not very usable. It's very present at the high end but its not sounding pleasant like your YT video sound.
I am using an Ibanez Jem with Evolution 2 pickups. I will tweak some more. This is a perfect starting point to build up the tone.

Cheers 🍻
Sorry to hear its not sounding as pleasant on your side. It definitely is dialed in to be a bit more present since I like brighter tones, but I think the EVO 2 pickups are a little bit brighter than the Utopia pickups in the PIA. The high cut in the cab block definitely helps with smoothing things out, so if the main problem is too much sizzle in the high end, you could try dialing it back to around 8k.

EDIT: So apparently there is one thing I didn't mention in the video. The High Cut Frequency in the Delay Block is set to 5000 Hz. I don't remember ever adjusting that, so its possible that that was the default value on either the 2290 whenever I made the preset, but its possible I just don't remember since the preset was initially made over a year ago at this point, and I have only adjusted the drive and amp blocks since then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom