Steve Vai - Die to live

aziz

Power User
Firmware 5.04b. For studio monitors (Mackie Hr824).

To celebrate the coming of Cali Leggy, I tried to dial it to resemble the tone from Die to live, which is awesome. Not 100%, but I'd be comfortable doing some imitations with it. I think this song was originally done with a Bogner, but I liked the Leggy sim more than the Euro red simulation. It's maybe slightly softer. Very fun to play. I didn't spend time nailing the EQ though. In the X/Y there's also Cameron ch2, dialed to sound pretty much the same. I think the first in the clip was Cameron. I don't have a Jem, if you have one, tell me your impressions with it.

Axe Edit kept on crashing, hopefully it is saved like it's supposed to. Well, at least it gets you very close.

Edit: Egh, now with fresh ears it sounds like crap, and nothing like the original. :D When tweak-a-itis strikes, you become blind and deaf. Anyone help me dialing the mids and highs better?

Attachments

• DieToLiveXY2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
aziz said:
Firmware 5.04b. For studio monitors (Mackie Hr824).

To celebrate the coming of Cali Leggy, I tried to dial it to resemble the tone from Die to live, which is awesome. Not 100%, but I'd be comfortable doing some imitations with it. I think this song was originally done with a Bogner, but I liked the Leggy sim more than the Euro red simulation. It's maybe slightly softer. Very fun to play. I didn't spend time nailing the EQ though. In the X/Y there's also Cameron ch2, dialed to sound pretty much the same. I think the first in the clip was Cameron. I don't have a Jem, if you have one, tell me your impressions with it.

Axe Edit kept on crashing, hopefully it is saved like it's supposed to. Well, at least it gets you very close.

Edit: Egh, now with fresh ears it sounds like crap, and nothing like the original. :D When tweak-a-itis strikes, you become blind and deaf. Anyone help me dialing the mids and highs better?

Only listening on iPhone, but damn I think it sounds great! Nice playing too!!

They're good, I've had them for years and listened on many different places, and they're awesome in a proper studio environment. No need for subwoofers with these. But my current room sucks really bad and everything under 120hz is just a mess, so I'm thinking about getting smaller speakers. Genelec 8020 maybe.

Thank you for this beautiful gift. Your patch comes the closest (of all patches that I have borrowed!) to nailing that elusive Vai quality. I have been shredding away for approximately one hour and my ears have yet to reach fatigue. Generally, with other patches, I end up hearing the low notes (e.g. bending the G on the low E string down) muddy out while higher notes ring true. You have managed to give the entire package my friend. It may help that I own Mackie Hr824 monitors as well. It also helps that I am using a Jem (2010 model - Stevie Vai). Again, thank you for the kind gift. I hope you work on the EQ (as you mentioned) if you think you can improve this patch. I wish I had your ears and talent.

Sounds good to me. Now all I need is the AXE FX II which is due to arrive next week. :p So I will give this preset a try with my Jem as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom