Steve Morse, what you can’t do with amp modelers. What do you think?

I’ll try to reiterate this again. FiRST, Steve Morse is not a guitar hero from the 80’s and 90’s! He is one of the most musically inclined and technical players in our lifetime. The youngsters here might learn a thing or two. Unfortunately, he is suffering from severe arthritis so many of his incredible abilities have been severely hampered.

Second, Steve has been using guitar synths since the 80’s. He is not adverse to “digital” in any way. He knows what he likes and he has the ability to still tour with it. It’s that simple. Here’s a recent PG rig run down. Watch it all, but pay attention to the end when they speak with Andy West for a bit. Another old timer and incredible musician. He’s all about new technology. Different strokes for different folks!

…and as far as endorsements, The Steve Morse Engl amp was quite a personal endeavor to get the right sound and he’s been using it for a long F’n time. So, I don’t thing being an endorsement whore applies at all!

He’s an open minded and intelligent player, and quite accomplished in other tech fields. He certainly has earned a right to his opinion based on what he’s experienced. I don’t have to take it as indisputable fact, it’s just the opinion of a respected musician.

For me, there is still something different about playing through a tube amp. Sometimes it’s a positive sort of different. Sometimes it isn’t. That’s one of the things that makes the modeler so easy to choose… it’s always the same. I use one because it fits my situation better than anything else. Steve’s situation is his own, and if his Engls work better for him, then I’m happy that he’s happy. It would be a boring world if we all played the same stuff.

I say let people play what they want, if you dont like it don't play it! That's the whole idea is to have that choice.

I also think the differences in the interactions of a pre/power amp, and transformer / speaker vers running a full range setup is where the two camps differ.

Only Steve, his fenomenal playing ability and ears can answer that question. As far as I’m concerned, FAS is the ultimate amp. Not to mention all the amps, effects, above and beyond’s etc…
Don't you think it's more a case of old school players just not wanting to give up what they know best though? And it is their perogative to do that of course, but if you've used amps your whole life and its no obstacle to keep doing so, you're probably going to find reasons to keep doing that. I heard Slash talking about fractal recently. He wanted the interviewer to know that he knew all about fractal as an option, he just said he didn't need the variety it provided and so preferred to stick to his old amp rig.

I get a sense with some of the guys that it's probably too much hassle for them to learn how to use the digital platforms and so there's a bit of confirmation bias in what they say about their amps.

Back
Top Bottom