Steve Lukather gear and sound

Steve Lukather is one of my favorite guitarist and I love his playing and sound.
Yesterday I saw one Youtube video about his gear and checked that effect chain to get
idea how things arranged. Today I then started build a preset based those information but realized
that It´s very difficult.

I have problems with those effects (cause they are not exact same than in video and also Steve's
effect chain is that way than I don't know how to build similar kind in Axe 3.

And of course I can't play like Steve Lukather and sound comes from his finger.
But it would be nice to build at least similar decent preset and enjoy sounds.

I know there must be ready ones but want to understand how and build one nice preset.

That Youtube video link:

Last edited:
@Marco Fanton has some Luke inspired presets

But if you're new to Fractal then it's definitely a good idea to learn to build your own, but it might help if you can give some further details and be more specific in what areas you need help

@Marco Fanton has some Luke inspired presets

But if you're new to Fractal then it's definitely a good idea to learn to build your own, but it might help if you can give some further details and be more specific in what areas you need help

There is many difficulties in that preset:

1. First that effect chain is long and have so many parts in it that it makes difficult to have same amount effects
2. There is two amps and cabs in that video
3. First set of effects goes front of first main amp, then rest effects are in main amps effect send and then they return to both amps effect return.
That is simply gibberish for me ;D how to do that kind effect chain.
4. There is effects like Echo sex 2 pedal then one bedal earlier where have clean boost/overdrive/heavy overdrive so just don't find
enough good choice from effects to have similar effects.
5. And effect chain is so long and complex that Axe 3 CPU is "red" (so I already changed chain shorter).

Everything is at the start.. takes much time to find proper choices to reach the goal ;D

Luke_kind.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing there looks hard, I’ll have a go over the next few days and post.

Key thing to remember - he’s using pedals, obvious comment but that means no presets.

So two or three drive pedals can be replaced by a single drive pedal in the Axe (using channels)

Interesting he has the wah after univibe/chorus - I'll have to try that. And Lex running mono before amp input - I know that's a cool sound and differs from full stereo Rotary post.

A lot depends on what you think the "Lukather" sound is..

His current rig that Jon demonstrates above is pretty basic as far as what Luke had in the earlier rack days and isn't really "classic Luke" - I have seen and heard this rig very close up and its pretty much a classic rock type thing.

If you are looking for that golden era Toto sound then as suggested above @Marco Fanton 's Luke inspired are REALLY good, his current Euro2023 (with the DynaCabs) is very much in that current Luke theme, and the older X88/90's periods are covered too by the other presets he has - most definitely worth a look.

His Euro2023 preset has actually become the core of my presets

I just watched Marcos Youtube video, got nice ideas from it. Very nice and thanks to Marco Fanton!

Axe 3 gives very nice sounds quite easily but there is so much more to learn and make sound even better.
When I watch video like Marcos etc. I feel myself so "noob" but so what, main thing is to keep fun and enjoy ;D

I just watched Marcos Youtube video, got nice ideas from it. Very nice and thanks to Marco Fanton!

Axe 3 gives very nice sounds quite easily but there is so much more to learn and make sound even better.
When I watch video like Marcos etc. I feel myself so "noob" but so what, main thing is to keep fun and enjoy ;D

The best advice if you're new to Fractals is to start simple and build in the complexities as you learn more

This is the advice I followed when I got my AX8 and it's served me well

˜THIS is the only thing you need as a starting point at least.|

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/steve-lukather-soldano-x88r-preset.177712/

I just finished a gig now, I had a band jam and this preset cuts over the mix like a hot knife on butter.
From this preset you can go anywhere reaching Lukather tones from any era.
I tried that but somehow for me it´s not working as I want.

I have made now one preset and there Scenes 1-4 ready (I think they are just how I want). Tomorrow then last 4 scenes I making if there
is not anything else to do). The scene I making is based on Marcos some parts and ideas. Let see if I get all done and satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom