Stereo output to PA, but summing the stereo into a monitor?

Tor

I will be going stereo out from the AxeFX straight into the mixer. However, I would like to have a mono signal to my personal monitor. Is that possible?

Re: Stereo output to PA, but summing the stereo into a monit

Unfortunately, no.

I have been praying for Cliff to add individual output control to Output 1 and Output 2, exactly for that same reason: to be able to independently set one output to mono and the other to stereo. I don't know if there are technical obstacles to implement it that way...

Some will suggest taking just one of your outputs to your on-stage monitor, but that is not a summed output, just half of your two outputs. I tried to build a buffered Y-cable, but it adds a hum to the signal (which I can remove by lifting the ground on my monitor). Not the best, but until the Axefx can sum to mono, it will have to do.

How about taking the mono output off the effects send? If the return can act as an aux in, I don't see why the send can't act as an aux out.

LMO said:
How about taking the mono output off the effects send? If the return can act as an aux in, I don't see why the send can't act as an aux out.
That won't make it a summed mono... the effects send puts out the same stereo signal into the two sides of Output 2. In other words, it's the right connection, but not a solution to the original poster's request. He's going to lose one side (either L or R) when he feeds a single side to his on-stage monitor.

You can branch off and sum to mono with a filter/volume/mixer block just before FXL. Or if you don't need XLR to the mixer, send output 2 there (with FXL) and set Output 1 mode to mono for monitor.

Bakerman said:
You can branch off and sum to mono with a filter/volume/mixer block just before FXL. Or if you don't need XLR to the mixer, send output 2 there (with FXL) and set Output 1 mode to mono for monitor.
Unfortunately, the first option forces you to add two blocks to every one of your patches, and the sceond one forces you to add one block to every one of your patches.

Sure, there are workarounds. Some are more painful than others. I still maintain that a separate mode for Output 1 and Output 2 would add tremendous flexibility to the Axe-FX.

Dpoirier said:
Bakerman said:
You can branch off and sum to mono with a filter/volume/mixer block just before FXL.
Unfortunately, the first option forces you to add two blocks to every one of your patches.

It's interesting for me, though, because I only have five patches to work with. But I don't quite get how to go about using the FXL, so how exactly do you do that?

What reaches the FXL block is output via Output 2. Here's an example of making that signal mono; note the filter Pan L and Pan R values are both 0.0 (center).

Excellent, thank you very much! :)

Why not just send one set of outputs to a small offboard mixer, mix the two channels and send the mono output to your monitor. It's a rather inexpensive solution IMO.

t0aj15 said:
Why not just send one set of outputs to a small offboard mixer such as this,

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-402VLZ3-Compact-Audio-Mixer?sku=630342

mix the two channels and send the mono output to your monitor. It's a rather inexpensive solution IMO.
I was personally trying to avoid yet-another piece of gear to carry (and one more device + connections in the signal path). That's why I had attempted to build that bufferer Y-cord. Either way, with a buffered-Y or an outboard mixer, you can do it.

I still wish there was an independent mode setting for Output 2 in the Axe-FX, though...

Yes, independent mode setting for Output 2 in the Axe-FX would be great.
The PAs we play through are sometimes stereo, sometimes mono.
Often the sound guy thinks his PA is stereo, but in reality it is not (I have a goto stereo test patch that pans hard left and right that I use during sound check).

t0aj15 said:
Why not just send one set of outputs to a small offboard mixer, mix the two channels and send the mono output to your monitor. It's a rather inexpensive solution IMO.

I like that my equipmentis limited to the Axe, controller, monitor and guitars. No mixer...

Bakerman's suggestion is great. A global parameter for each output would be even better because I wouldn't have to use the FXL block (Copy Out1 > Out2 suffices).

t0aj15 said:

Hm, would that avoid the problem of phase cancellation?

Tor said:
t0aj15 said:

No. Same problem as sending your two outputs to FOH when the sound guy is running it mono.

Dpoirier said:
Tor said:
t0aj15 said:

No. Same problem as sending your two outputs to FOH when the sound guy is running it mono.

Ah, okay.

Back
Top Bottom