Stereo/Mono to FOH

Switched to mono a few months ago, for simplicity and consistency.
100-500 persons.

Stereo but I reduce the width of the stereo effects down to around 70%.

We play from 100 - 1000

Mono.

Unless your listener is sitting in the sweet spot out front, they're only hearing one side of your stereo sound.

I program and woodshed in stereo but live I use mono.

I use one side of the output to FOH. I don't change any global settings or block settting to run in mono.

100-500 seat venues

Full stereo for me all the way. L&R to the FOH (output1) and L&R to my Matrix and stereo 4x12 on stage (via output 2). Works fantastically well in any size venue. Mostly we play small to medium sized venues. My band use our own PA so I use 2 channels on the desk panned hard L&R.

As for large venues, well most pro live acts use stereo FOH to great effect. I recently saw KT Tunstall, her band used a lot of panning, and her support band, 'Braids' used it even more so. Then Last week I caught the Australian Pink Floyd who really went to town with the stereo stuff. It's great fun to experiment with, and used judiciously can enhance your performance in all sorts of ways.

Last edited:
Interesting range of responses. I ask because a sound guy acted like I was a complete moron last night for wanting to give him a stereo feed. He said no pros have a stereo PA, which I was doubtful of. He was supposedly a top guy in the area.

We play small 50-100 seat venues and I run stereo to FOH. That said, the stereo effect is reserved for a few presets that use chorus, flanging, or delay. The other guitarist in the band plays acoustic exclusively, and we're running his guitar feed through a light stereo enhancer in the XR-18 mixer. It just fattens up his sound. Haven't noticed any phase issues in the small rooms we play. If we do anything bigger (or outdoors), FOH is all mono.

This is a question that plagues me, so glad someone brought it up. I am the lone guitar player in our band (drums, bass, keys and guitar with a few backing tracks). We play venues of about 100 to 500 souls. We built our mix in our X-32 to be fully automated and send stereo to front of house and have them monitor/mix by way of bus. So FOH is essentially mixing our entire show at a stem level. We us IEM's that are fed from the X-32. Some shows we send the FOH full mix capabilities when they have X-32 also. I pan all of my presets hard L/R to make room for low end instruments and vocals in the middle of the stereo field. I typically use either 2 amps and 2 mono cab's (in the AXE) or a single amp with stereo cab. By doing this I can still get out of the middle of the mix even when not using stereo effects (delay, chorus etc..). Is this really necessary or could I send a mono to front of house and let them take care of the mix to carve out where the vocals and other instruments should be?

Back
Top Bottom