Stereo effects not working??

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hello! I did an update to 12.07, and now my stereo effects don't seem to be working. Everything is just in mono. Any ideas why?

You are probably summing to mono somewhere. This could be in your DAW, or possibly your Analog Outputs are not set to Stereo in the III Config. There could be other reasons as well.

We'd need more details.

Yes. Are you using 2 cables from left and right to 2 separate speakers?
I am! I have both going into my interface, and the mixer in the interface is receiving both channels, and they're both panned hard L and R.

EDIT: I also listened with headphones from the axe fx itself, and the stereo versions of time based effects are in mono.

I am! I have both going into my interface, and the mixer in the interface is receiving both channels, and they're both panned hard L and R.

EDIT: I also listened with headphones from the axe fx itself, and the stereo versions of time based effects are in mono.
Are stereo effects coming before a mono cab block?

hahahah... You know what, Chris? It's the obvious things I haven't learned yet hahahah I'm a dummy haha Thanks, dude! That was exactly it hahah :tearsofjoy: I appreciate you, sir!

God bless!

Mike.
That’s a common one honestly, and someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread. Easy to miss or forget that the cab is typically mono (though it can be stereo of course, be sure to pan 2 IRs). The amp is always mono though, so anything before the amp will result in mono as well.

I made a Mono --> Stereo patch recently, based on what Ken Andrews of Failure uses. It took me a while to figure it all out, but getting all the right blocks set to stereo or 'Left Channel' for one and 'Right Channel' for the other can be a bit of a puzzle sometimes. It's easy to leave a block set to Mono in the wrong place. I'm glad you figured it out. Enjoy the new Firmware! ;-)

That’s a common one honestly, and someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread. Easy to miss or forget that the cab is typically mono (though it can be stereo of course, be sure to pan 2 IRs). The amp is always mono though, so anything before the amp will result in mono as well.
Thanks again, Chris! Is it common practice then to put time based effects after the cab block?

I made a Mono --> Stereo patch recently, based on what Ken Andrews of Failure uses. It took me a while to figure it all out, but getting all the right blocks set to stereo or 'Left Channel' for one and 'Right Channel' for the other can be a bit of a puzzle sometimes. It's easy to leave a block set to Mono in the wrong place. I'm glad you figured it out. Enjoy the new Firmware! ;-)
Thank you! I appreciate it! WHat kind of block were you working on?? It's always cool to see other setups and configurations!

If you want stereo...

Or after Amp block with the Cab set for stereo input.
Cool! I'll have to experiment. I set up some stereo patches which sound really cool when playing in stereo, but yesterday I went just out of the Left out, and I've noticed that the time based effects sound louder than I would actually want when just running a mono signal, whereas using a mono version of the same effect is less dramatic at the same mix percentage, which is pretty interesting! So it makes me wonder if making mono and stereo versions of the same presets is beneficial.

Thank you! I appreciate it! WHat kind of block were you working on?? It's always cool to see other setups and configurations!

Just a simple Mono --> Stereo split using a 20ms delay on one side. From there I went into different amps w/ different tones. Nice, high gain tone. It's fun to play around with that stuff. I could see it work for live performance where you don't want to lose the rhythm guitars on one side when the other guitarist plays a solo, for example. Alternatively, you could use it to create a super dense blanket of guitar sound by using it on both guitars. There wasn't much to this patch, really. I keep things simple.

Thanks again, Chris! Is it common practice then to put time based effects after the cab block?

For effects that do the same thing regardless of input signal (ie, delay, reverb, etc), it should make no difference on the final sound if it's before or after the cab block (barring stereo/mono misconfigurations). The cab block is essentially acting like a set of EQ filters and if you EQ a sound then delay it, or you delay a sound then EQ it the end result is the same. All of the behaviour modelling for cabs and speakers that depends on input is in the Amp block (speaker excursion, etc). Except for things like mic preamp clipping in the cab block mic preamp model.

But generally, you can be safe putting your affects after the Cab unless you really want something like your delay repeats to trigger more cab block mic preamp clipping for the first repeat and less for the second, or other similarly esoteric and specific things.

Last edited:
Just a simple Mono --> Stereo split using a 20ms delay on one side. From there I went into different amps w/ different tones. Nice, high gain tone. It's fun to play around with that stuff. I could see it work for live performance where you don't want to lose the rhythm guitars on one side when the other guitarist plays a solo, for example. Alternatively, you could use it to create a super dense blanket of guitar sound by using it on both guitars. There wasn't much to this patch, really. I keep things simple.
Nice! I find that simple is more effective for me, so I can relate to that! Thanks, and God bless!

Mike.

For effects that do the same thing regardless of input signal (ie, delay, reverb, etc), it should make no different once the final sound if it's before or after the cab blocking (barring stereo/mono misconfigurations). The cab block is essentially acting like a set of EQ filters and if you EQ a sound then delay it, or you delay a sound then EQ it the end result is the same. All of the behaviour modelling for cabs and speakers that depends on input is in the Amp block (speaker excursion, etc). Except for things like mic preamp clipping in the cab block mic preamp model.

But generally, you can be safe putting your affects after the Cab unless you really want something like your delay repeats to trigger more cab block mic preamp clipping for the first repeat and less for the second, or other similarly esoteric and specific things.
Ah, got ya! That's a good description! Thank you!!! I appreciate it!

God bless!

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom