Stereo Cabs-pan L and R or in the middle?

Finnster

Inspired
Most of my patches run two cabs(stereo). I run my Axe in mono i.e. output one to FOH and output 2 to a monitor or backline.
My question is that I notice many of the factory presets run stereo cabs and pan one 50% L and one 50% R.

Some others on this forum run stereo cabs and run both L and R cabs in the middle, or no panning.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing either one?

There is a tone change even though I am copying L>R

I did a search and couldn't find an answer that directly related to live use. I can see and understand the benefit when recording.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I've wondered this as well for quite some time. I usually run two mono cabs panned +/- 70, but realized that i am wasting valuable cpu...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

if you have a cab panned full R and a cab panned full L, then you copy L->R or you use only one side of the stereo (L&R) output.... you aren't going to hear the cab panned right.

same theory applies to cabs not panned fully to one side so you are hearing the one panned more to the left more than you are hearing the one panned to the right using the same output methods.

i guess the question is, why are you running stereo/two cabs? once we know that, we can more easily accomplish your goals.

if you pan both cabs to the centre I'd imagine you'll sound like a traditional stack..
like a brighter 1960a on top and and a deeper 1960b on the bottom...

or like bassists where they mix a 4x10 with a 1x18

I run my Axe in mono.

How do you run in mono? By using Copy L>R or by using Sum L+R (I/O > Output Mode)?

If you're using Sum L+R, the IRs will be summed, so the Pan setting doesn't matter.
If you're using Copy L>R, an IR panned to right will be ignored and you'll lose that tone.

If Output is set to Stereo, and you've connected only the Left or Right output, you'll lose the tone of an IR that has been panned to the side that's not connected.

Back
Top Bottom