Stereo Cabinet Setup Help

Crapshoes

So, I am currently running an Axe Fx-II XL+ ----> Matrix GT1000FX ----> Mono Vox Cabinet. But, my Mesa 4x12 comes in today and it has stereo 1/4" capability...

I was wondering if it's beneficial at all to even run a single cabinet in stereo, given that I'm just using the 1/4" instrument input front port. And, if it is indeed better to run
stereo, what's the best routing option for me? XLR from Axe to Matrix, then Speakon/1/4" from Matrix to cab? Please advise me oh gods of Fractal, I am but a plebeian.

Well, with two cabinets, another stereo option presents itself immediately...

This is what I do. I have a PortCity 2x12 to my right and a Mesa 2x12 to my left as I play. I really like the character. For one thing, stereo effects totally envelop me as I play. Also, something about having slightly different tones coming into the two ears gives an extra texture or something, particularly to the high gain stuff.

That said, I never tried a single cabinet in stereo - I'll bet it's great too. It's almost hard to go wrong with the gear you have.

I might try that but this Vox is in really poor condition lol. I've needed to replace it for a long time, and the merciful overlords at Sweetwater finally approved my financing.
I'm just trying to make sure I support my quality equipment with quality cables! And I don't know enough about them to make an informed decision.

Think of having 2 studio monitors that as you move them further away from you in opposite directions, the stereo field feels wider. A stereo cab is like that, but when they're close together. IMO, it's still beneficial compared to a mono cab (imagine using just one studio monitor - same idea, sort of). This will especially pay off when using two different speakers in the stereo cab and/or when using panned/ping effects.

You have the right idea for cables given the current 1/4" jack plate on your Mesa cab. You could rewire it to accept speakons as well, but that's your call.

Back when I had a standard amp rig, I toured with a pair of Mesa 4x12 cabs as my backline. Each was wired in stereo, divided vertically. Each cabinet had two jacks. It was a great setup. When I used both cabs on bigger stages, it was a massive sound. When I used only one, I still got a nice tone, even with very little physical separation between the channels.

My Fractal rig consists of two small FRFR cabinets, and onstage they're usually pretty close together (often stacked). Again, you don't get discrete spatial location for L / R channels this way, but the tone is much bigger from using two channels, even when the speakers are close together.

For many of us, our first stereo guitar experience was the JC-120, where the speakers are together in a single cab.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I guess my only other question is XLR vs 1/4" TRS from the Axe to the Matrix, what are the benefits of each? I know the XLR will come out hotter but that's not really an issue with some minor adjustment.
The TRS 1/4" is also a balanced signal so why wouldn't I want to use that instead of XLR? And furthermore, which would provide the best sound quality?

For many of us, our first stereo guitar experience was the JC-120, where the speakers are together in a single cab.

I suppose I've just never heard stereo from a single unit IRL before. Most of my band mates past and current still use mono inputs for everything.
I guess worst case scenario I just try it out and see what I like best.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I guess my only other question is XLR vs 1/4" TRS from the Axe to the Matrix, what are the benefits of each? I know the XLR will come out hotter but that's not really an issue with some minor adjustment.
The TRS 1/4" is also a balanced signal so why wouldn't I want to use that instead of XLR? And furthermore, which would provide the best sound quality?

TRS should be fine as well. I find XLRs a little more reliable, usually, but that's IME/YMMV/TEOTWAWKI.

I've ran stereo to a single Marshall 1960A for years. Would never go back to Mono. There's no comparison. Try it. The cab's designed to do it, so take advantage of the option. No big hubbub if you don't like the sound of it.. not everyone does. I think it's great. To each their own and all that.

Why not stick with the recommendations from the manuals?

From the Axe manual:
18. OUTPUT 1– This section includes the Left and Right Output 1 unbalanced (1/4”) Jacks, Balanced (XLR)
jacks, and XLR Ground Lift Switch. The main processed output of the Axe-Fx II appears at these jacks. Use
the XLR jacks to connect to balanced inputs, employing the provided ground lift switch if necessary to
reduce unwanted 60-cycle hum. Use the 1/4” unbalanced outputs to connect to unbalanced inputs, such
as those on some guitar power amps or other devices.
Output 2– Left/Mono and Right, Unbalanced (1/4” Tip-Sleeve) Jacks

From the Matrix:
(7) Input Signal Sockets
These are Neutrik® combined female XLR and 1/4" jack sockets.
For cable runs of under 12”, (ie. within a rack system) standard good quality
instrument leads should provide a similar level of RF shielding to XLR cables.
For longer cables runs, balanced cables (XLRs) are recommended.

For the short run you're likely to use between the AxeFX and the Matrix, it's really not going to make substantial difference for audio quality. I favor XLR in these cases because it has a more positive locking mechanism when connected.

For the short run you're likely to use between the AxeFX and the Matrix, it's really not going to make substantial difference for audio quality. I favor XLR in these cases because it has a more positive locking mechanism when connected.

I have the benefit of knowing a local guy that cuts some custom cables, and my main reason for wanting stereo XLR is exactly that. I don't really feel like having some bar dweller walking behind my rack and accidentally pulling out my 1/4". So my plan is to get 90 degree XLR heads on a 6 inch cable length to patch between my Axe and the Matrix. Cable management and stability! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some reason I shouldn't use XLR over TRS 1/4".

Why not stick with the recommendations from the manuals?

From the Axe manual:
18. OUTPUT 1– This section includes the Left and Right Output 1 unbalanced (1/4”) Jacks, Balanced (XLR)
jacks, and XLR Ground Lift Switch. The main processed output of the Axe-Fx II appears at these jacks. Use
the XLR jacks to connect to balanced inputs, employing the provided ground lift switch if necessary to
reduce unwanted 60-cycle hum. Use the 1/4” unbalanced outputs to connect to unbalanced inputs, such
as those on some guitar power amps or other devices.
Output 2– Left/Mono and Right, Unbalanced (1/4” Tip-Sleeve) Jacks

From the Matrix:
(7) Input Signal Sockets
These are Neutrik® combined female XLR and 1/4" jack sockets.
For cable runs of under 12”, (ie. within a rack system) standard good quality
instrument leads should provide a similar level of RF shielding to XLR cables.
For longer cables runs, balanced cables (XLRs) are recommended.

Okay so they're comparable under 12" cable lengths, that's good to know. Thanks for hunting for me, I should have checked the wiki first :)

Back
Top Bottom