Stereo Cab Advice

Tailstop

Inspired
Hello all!
Since getting my Axefx2 I've been a friggen hermit! The last 32 days I've learned so much about this thing... I need a break. Nah, later.
Anyways, my furman and matrix gt800 are en route, and I have still not decided upon which frfr situ I want (leaning towards Xi!).
Now, I have a beautiful Egnater Tourmaster Extension cab sitting around. It's a stereo cab. So can I simply run L/R into the cab and get a stereo feel out of it or shall I expect phasing crapola? I've been having fun with two amp combinations so my goal was to run not just stereo effects but different amps per side. Can I get this out of a single egnater stereo cab? Will my cabinet take such abuse?
This is not my final destination as I will most likely get an additional cabinet as well as two frfr speakers. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sam
if the cab is stereo, then yes you can input a stereo signal (separate left and right) into it. it's not really abuse, it's just 2 different signals going through their own set of speakers.

i'm assuming you have a stereo power amp before it, as the Axe will not power the speaker cab itself.

Of course I realize that the axe isn't an amp. I'm 30 years into this instrument of ours(wink!). And like I said my matrix is en route. I also have a pretty nice collection of heads I can use to try the stereo thing out.
My question was this essentially: how come I hear no one talking about running stereo into one cab? Why always two cabs? Separation? Phasing? Need to spend money?

Of course I realize that the axe isn't an amp. I'm 30 years into this instrument of ours(wink!). And like I said my matrix is en route. I also have a pretty nice collection of heads I can use to try the stereo thing out.
My question was this essentially: how come I hear no one talking about running stereo into one cab? Why always two cabs? Separation? Phasing? Need to spend money?

Separation and imaging are the main reason. Imaging from a 212 or 412 cab is not that grate because the speakers are so close together which is probably one of the reasons you don't hear about it that often.

Fully agree. I'm gonna try a real 'Left.dark/light.Right' thing with the Egnater cab and see what I can get out of it. I'm probably going to freak out when I'm fully FR... The options with this machine are just setting in!

Hi Keith
So I get a sense that the Axe is working out for you - great.
Did you get the acoustic set-up working in time for your gigs?
RB

BTW - when asking about FRFR solutions, you get a lot of different answers - sometimes contrasting - but there are a lot of good choices out there for us guitarist right now.

I can personally wholeheartedly recommend the Atomic CLR - they come as active or passive and as wedges or cubes.

I went for the active wedges, as the very high quality (bi-)amp in the active version only weighs 1 pund (!!!), is tuned to the speaker and cabinet and has an active crossover with DSP EQ presets for wedge (TILT), back line (BL) and fee field (FF) positions, meaning that you can get the same great sound whether you use it as a wedge in front of you, as a traditional back line (stand it up on it's end as a cube - it has feet for this) or mount it on a pole (it has a traditional pole cup on the bottom.

The sound of the CLRs is absolutely mind-blowing and for someone like you and me who users the Axe for both electric and acoustic guitar the CLRs are a perfect match for both.

I did a review of the CLR's a while back, after extensive testing in a wide number of scenarios and applications, you can find it here if it is of interest to you http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/71961-atomic-clr-=-sonic-bliss-depth-review.html

RB

Wow, Thank you RB!
You are correct! The Axe is working great. Sadly, the first outing acoustically was kinda disastrous. I made a basic acoustic patch Thanks to SIMEON, but spent way too much time on effects instead of concentrating on Scenes like I shouldve! >-<
I hjave afriend who has the CLRs and Im gonna go steal...Ahem..umm...TRY them out this week! Im sure its another $1200 Ill have to spend at least... (Stereo baby!)

Thanks for all the help guys. Apprec!

KW

I ran stereo into an Avatar Vintage cab out of my Fryette stereo power amp (from my Axe II)
I love it, that cab is big enough that you can hear the stereo "ping/pong" of delay etc.
I think with FRFR 2X12 there are some Phase issues that are tough to deal with?

Really?! That's awesome! I'm absolutely sure that it CAN work but it's nice to hear that someone does this...
Also, this forum is absolutely amazing in several ways. However I can find opposing opinions on every single facet of the AxeFX and simply have to try some setups and make my own opinion! Someone contacted me yesterday and sent me oceans of data regarding how sound waves work in confined spaces and if I don't to frfr I'm truly making a mistake. I have a distinct feeling that he maybe needs to put his foot on a monitor, and leeeeean back into a guitar solo with his shirt off for awhile. :) I mean, this is a forum of inches and I completely respect that. It's just that this machine is such an enigma that maybe we get a bit too FRACTAL in our approach... Pffffft! Screw it. I'm gonna buy the CLRs anyways I'm sure. :)
"...son, it's the PILOT, not the plane!"
-Peter O'Toole

I ran stereo into an Avatar Vintage cab out of my Fryette stereo power amp (from my Axe II)
I love it, that cab is big enough that you can hear the stereo "ping/pong" of delay etc.
I think with FRFR 2X12 there are some Phase issues that are tough to deal with?

Can you, Scott and others elaborate?

E.g., how do the CLR folks deal with phase issues?

I can't into detail because I do not know what the details are but it seems that almost every " I wish there was a 2X12 FRFR" thread brings up
a difficulty of Phase issues. I know Matrix now has a 2X12 FRFR option available (or coming) so they must've figured it out?

Heya. I need help. My Rocktron Midi raider was recently reset to factory. Now when I plug into axefx, it bypasses The axefx completely! Wtf? The controller IS switching presets on the axefx but the sound is JUST my guitar and speaker.

I have setup the midi raider just as before, but now when I turn my rig on it sounds normal while the raider is booting up. But once it does, the axe effects ALL turn of, as if on stand by or something...

Help?

how come I hear no one talking about running stereo into one cab? Why always two cabs? Separation? Phasing? Need to spend money?

most cabs can't run stereo, they only have a mono input, so that's probably the biggest reason why.

i had 2 diezel 2x12 cabs that could run stereo and 1 sounded great by itself. but using 2 cabs allowed me to spread them apart farther for a wider spread.

I'm running the NL212 and GT800FX in stereo and it sounds pretty massive, no issues here. The sound dispersion is very wide, 3D sounding with plenty of depth.

Actually the widest use cab in the USA, the Marshall 1960 series is stereo. I used one for years w a peavey classic 50 left side, Marshall jcm900 right side. Fun..
I finally purchased a MatrixGT800 and look forward to trying the Egnater stereo rig! I am borrowing an additional cab to see the real difference between stereo 212 or stereo 2x212 is and if it's going to cause phase issues.

If anyone has opinions on Xitone cabs please spill it. These look affordable and solid!

Thanks again!

My advice, if you really want your audience to hear the stereo effects is either to run through FOH, or get a pair of mono cabs and put them far enough apart for your audience to get the benefit. If you can get one by you and the other one somewhere on the other side of the stage where its not killing the bass player, you'll sound awesome.

Stereo cabs are fine, and can sound awesome close up, but 10 or 20 feet feet away, any stereo effect is pretty much gone.

I wrote a piece about the problems of FRFR stereo in a single cab here, if you have the time.

Stereo cabs are really just for me. When possible I like the FOH to take it stereo, but I've awkward run two 12" cabs since long before AF2. I like to stand it sit between the two.

I agree with Robin.

If your audience is mainly hearing the backline, two cabs spaced wide gives the best audience effect.

As a performer, a 2x12 cab running in stereo (dual mono in my parlance), sounds really good on stage. Stereo chorus in particular creates a vivid audioscape. But the audience probably doesn't hear it as vivid as the musicians do.

Back
Top Bottom