Stereo and panning

Polluxx

Inspired
I have a question of understanding

If you go into a mixing console with two XLR cables, you have the option of panning hard left and hard right. How does it compare with headphones connected to the headphone output of the FM3, is it automatically panned hard left and hard right?

I would like to find out whether it is better to pan hard when playing live stereo, or to leave it at 12 o'clock, or is the stereo effect completely lost at 12 o'clock?

I know there is a lot of discussion about this and it also depends on the location, but I would like to understand it in theory.

If it’s left at 12 o clock that means there is zero panning.

Headphones send the full left signal to the left speaker only and the full right signal to the right speaker only.

Hard pan so you have the settings you made in the axe go to the speakers correctly.

Anything less than hard panning makes your presets sound incorrect to how you set them up.

Headphones will always give more separation than speakers, because the headphone isolates your ears from each other. With speakers, your left ear can still year what’s coming from the right speaker, and vice versa.

What is your recommendation for a PA when playing stereo?
Depends on the venue and what you’re trying to accomplish. Sometimes panning each channel by 30-50% works best, so there’s some signal going to both sides. Sometimes 100%. If you’re just trying to place each instrument in a stereo field, you’ll want to send just a single channel, and let the house pan you where they want you. Some PAs or rooms just don’t support stereo.

I think the Balance control should pan only it's own effect block, not the entire preset, or every effect block should have a pan control(s).

How exactly is this supposed to work? The individual blocks are already hard panned if available, it is preset if it is a stereo block.

I think the Balance control should pan only it's own effect block, not the entire preset, or every effect block should have a pan control(s).
The Balance control moves the signal from left to right. If the blocks after it weren't affected, what would be the point?

Blocks with a Balance or Pan parameter already pass the incoming stereo signal intact. Balance and Pan are only applied to the signal that the block generates.

Back
Top Bottom