Step on switch for solo

Paulzx

Inspired
Hello guys, just easier to ask this than spend hours searching everywhere..

So I have my scenes set up as per preset for the three switches. Typically just tapping on foot switches to go between scenes. There's always a solo scene assigned to the third switch.

I want to try and adapt just the third switch on the solo scene to where I can keep the scene activated by holding down the foot switch, then when I step off, it engages one of the other scenes.

So I'm basically stepping and holding the switch for the solo rather than just tapping, so it's a quick transition on to the next scene I want after the solo.

What's the easiest way to do that within the per preset setup I'm using?

Scene selection doesn't allow momentary behavior.

You could set the Second Press option of the switch to "Last Scene", though.

You press the switch and go to the Solo scene. You press it again to go back to the previous scene. That way your foot is right in the same place.

Depending upon what you have going on the the Solo scene compared to the other scenes, a Control Switch might be an option worth exploring. I have a switch assigned as a Control Switch dedicated as a Boost. I have the Amp Boost and Bright switches, Cab Level and sometimes the Drive Bypass all attached to it.

I have the 'global' boost set as Latching, but in a couple of presets wanted it Momentary so I assigned the Control Switch to a Per-Preset switch and used the Pre-Preset Override to assign it to the 'global' switch.

So I have my scenes set up as per preset for the three switches. Typically just tapping on foot switches to go between scenes. There's always a solo scene assigned to the third switch.

I want to try and adapt just the third switch on the solo scene to where I can keep the scene activated by holding down the foot switch, then when I step off, it engages one of the other scenes.

So I'm basically stepping and holding the switch for the solo rather than just tapping, so it's a quick transition on to the next scene I want after the solo.

Does the scene you want to go to after the solo change all the time?

If you’re playing normal length solos then I’d go for @unix-guy’s “Last Scene” option. That way your foot hits the same button to return to where you were. You can always hit one of the other switches if you want to go to a different scene.

However, if you’re just going to play a short phrase, then I’d go for a momentary switch, set as a control switch, and use it to change Amp/Drive/Delay settings as required.

Get an expression pedal & call it a day…
IMG_4398.jpeg
Have a good one,

3EO

You press the switch and go to the Solo scene. You press it again to go back to the previous scene. That way your foot is right in the same place.
Maybe that is the most practical option then

Depending upon what you have going on the the Solo scene compared to the other scenes, a Control Switch might be an option worth exploring. I have a switch assigned as a Control Switch dedicated as a Boost. I have the Amp Boost and Bright switches, Cab Level and sometimes the Drive Bypass all attached to it.

I have the 'global' boost set as Latching, but in a couple of presets wanted it Momentary so I assigned the Control Switch to a Per-Preset switch and used the Pre-Preset Override to assign it to the 'global' switch.
Have you ever seen a rabbit caught in the headlights? That was me reading your post lol

Get an expression pedal & call it a day…
View attachment 138209
Have a good one,

3EO

Get four!
Go big or go home!
20240217_185643.jpg

Hmm, I thought you could use an expression value assigned to a modifier to change a scene…No?

Have a good one,

3EO

3E0 -
I was running an FM9 and an AF3 together for a while, until the FM9's firmware 5 came out and I was able to get my "kitchen sink" presets tuned well enough to work on just the FM9. To share the CC pedals with both units, I had to move them to external MIDI, and I still use some external MIDI with just the FM9 to get a few more CC buttons and a couple more CC knobs working beyond the ones in the FM9 and FC6....

Good luck hitting the value on a pedal continuous controller :) - you'd need a foot WAY more talented than mine. Oh, and the pedal continuous controller would need to be external MIDI, not one connected directly to the AF3, FM9, FM3, FC6, or FC12, in order to access the CC number and value pair triggering the scene you want. The way the receiver's code is set up, the value for the scene number rotates through 0-7 sixteen times between heel and toe based on a 0-127 value from the controller pedal.

A switch can be programmed to send a particular value in the MIDI unit is connected to, if that unit is capable. You could, for example, set up an ExpressionIO to do a separate button for each scene via four pairs of momentary switches that have been set up to send 0 - 7 on press (and nothing on release), and use a row of 8 buttons to choose scene. There would be no indicator LED of which scene was selected, though. The display on the unit would be your indicator for the FMs, but for the AF3, you'd need to have your head on a swivel or have the unit in a rack right next to you, and tilted upward so you can easily see the scene on the screen. :)

You can do that? This would simplify 90% of my night.

Back
Top Bottom