Static Noise, how to get rid of it?

GuitarAng3l

Hi, I just moved into a new apartment and got a bad high pitched static noise. The noise reducer as well as the "intelligent" noise gate can get rid of it, but I need to turn the threshold up to -30 or -25. Could a power conditioner may be a fix for it?

Is it static, or is it a high-pitched noise? Those are different things.

This is most likely an interference issue, not a power issue. A power conditioner isn’t likely to help. Does the noise go away when you unplug your guitar cord from your FM9? If so, then it’s definitely electromagnetic interference getting through your guitar.

It does. I already tested pluggin only the fm9 into the power but its still there.
Help me understand; you seem to be saying two opposite things. The noise does go away when you remove your guitar cord from your FM9, or it’s still there?

Oh, I quoted the wrong sentence. I mean it does goes away when the volume is turned to zero or the cord is unplugged. But it doesnt matter where I move the guitar in the room.

Oh, I quoted the wrong sentence. I mean it does goes away when the volume is turned to zero or the cord is unplugged. But it doesnt matter where I move the guitar in the room.
Cool. Then we’ve established that you have electromagnetic interference coming in through your guitar. Now let’s find the source of that interference.

Disable the noise gate, and use your guitar as an interference detector. Move the guitar all around the room. Up high, down low, in between... Turn it through full circles, and see what direction is the loudest... pass it close to every piece of electronic gear in the room. You’ll get important clues to help you locate the source of the problem.

You could also try turning off everything in your apartment except for your FM9 and see if the noise goes away.

Worst case scenario it’s coming from outside your apartment.

It doesnt matter where I move the guitar, even when I move the room the strength and type of the noise is the same. Even when everything besides the FM9 is not plugged in...

It doesnt matter where I move the guitar, even when I move the room the strength and type of the noise is the same. Even when everything besides the FM9 is not plugged in...
I’m starting to suspect your guitar. Broken ground wire, or...? What does “move the room” mean?

Also, do you have active pickups?

Passive pickups, humbucker as well as single coils. I meant the noise stays the same at every point in the room. It does not matter where I place the guitar. Even when I change the room where I am in, the noise stays the same.
I tested quite a few guitars and the problem is the same. Before moving everything worked as it should.

Passive pickups, humbucker as well as single coils. I meant the noise stays the same at every point in the room. It does not matter where I place the guitar. Even when I change the room where I am in, the noise stays the same.
I tested quite a few guitars and the problem is the same. Before moving everything worked as it should.
All this, but unplugging the guitar cord makes it go away? I've never seen that combination of symptoms before, because they contradict each other.

Holding the guitar and turning in a circle causes no change?

An audio clip would really be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom