FM3 Started recording/writing again. Need help.

vejichan

Inspired
Neeed some help on this song i'm working on.

any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What exactly do you need advice or help with? The writing or the recording part? Sounds great so far! 👍🏻

The only thing I’d do is perhaps give the bass line a little more space during the main riff, similar to what you did in the other parts.

What exactly do you need advice or help with? The writing or the recording part? Sounds great so far! 👍🏻

The only thing I’d do is perhaps give the bass line a little more space during the main riff, similar to what you did in the other parts.
Thanks. need help w/recording and writing. Is anything too loud or too soft? any issues?

I'd suggest comparing to a couple reference mixes frequently while mixing and compare the instrument relationships in your favorite reference(s) and your mix. Is the kick or bass louder? Is the guitar or snare louder? Cymbals are insanely loud in the drum room, but, how are they in your reference mix? Etc.

Once I learned to listen to level differences between pairs of instruments, things became a bit easier. It's just too hard to try to take in the entire mix and A/B it with another.

I'd suggest comparing to a couple reference mixes frequently while mixing and compare the instrument relationships in your favorite reference(s) and your mix. Is the kick or bass louder? Is the guitar or snare louder? Cymbals are insanely loud in the drum room, but, how are they in your reference mix? Etc.
Thanks ..i did. Anything poking out to you?

Thanks ..i did. Anything poking out to you?
I'm not in a listening environment right now, sorry.

So, have you matched relative levels to your reference mix?

Bass/kick
Snare/vox
Snare/gtr
Cymbals/gtr
Etc

If so, now listen for EQ. How does yours compare?

Then, think about panning.

Then, realize that your favorite tracks have tons of tiny (and not so tiny) level changes throughout. Have you automated levels to bring out all the character going on in the parts?

I'm not in a listening environment right now, sorry.

So, have you matched relative levels to your reference mix?

Bass/kick
Snare/vox
Snare/gtr
Cymbals/gtr
Etc

If so, now listen for EQ. How does yours compare?

Then, think about panning.

Then, realize that your favorite tracks have tons of tiny (and not so tiny) level changes throughout. Have you automated levels to bring out all the character going on in the parts?
I believe so

Back
Top Bottom