Starlink Users?

FiddlerTheDrum

Inspired
I’ve been on the Starlink waitlist for about a year and finally got my invite. I live about 1.5 miles from last cable run so dealing with that rural internet fun.

Does anyone here use Starlink and if so what are their impressions?

I’ve been reading that customer service is atrocious (1-3 week downtime if anything goes wrong, no telephone number, closed tickets without help etc).

I would be retaining an LTE hotspot as internet backup, that’s what I’m on now and it’s…….serviceable I guess.

Just got it earlier this week. Seems better so far than ViaSat, and less expensive, too....

Custy service is not great, as you have heard, but they did refund a month of service due to their slowness....

We started using one at work for field ops for the first time Wednesday. It's kindofa pain in the ass because of the set up and the amount of time it takes to get itself calibrated and giving us god bandwidth, but we have to set up and tear down every day, so there's that. That said, once it's up and running it's better than a 4G hotspot (no 5G where we set up to do our thing every day), but it does not beat my 5G hotspot which is my internet at home.

Right on. We tried T-Mobile 5G and it was not good where we lived and I have my qualms about ATT 5G when it gets rolled out in my area as I can pull 5G with my phone off our tower and it is not good at all. We are 2.5 miles from a tower with hills in between so that’s a thing.

I think I may give the Starlink a go. Now I’m talking the wife into a TP-Link Omada setup to go with it ;-)

I got on Starlink late last year and couldn’t be happier. We can have all four TVs streaming and all four phones streaming without any buffering.

I thought Star link was supposed to be inexpensive? $90- $120 monthly for residential is about twice what I'm paying now.

I’m paying $130 a month from a sketchy LTE hotspot SIM card reseller right now. Rural internet is BS. Also pay $20 a month for another hotspot that magically thinks it’s an unlimited iPad (backup). Also have hotspots on my phones in case everything craps out because options 1 & 2 are violating TOS.

So basically they can get away charging a lot because people are desperate.

I don't know about that but I'm sure the satellites that he is flinging into orbit cost a few chicken dinners !
I was being facetious but infrastructure for any internet provider is going to be costly. Just out of curiosity, I checked to see the price for my area & it's absurd.

Service: $120.00/mo
Hardware: $599.00
Shipping & Handling: $50.00
Tax: $61.66
DUE TODAY: $710.66 for maybe 100mbps.

That's a hard pass! I get 500mbps (regularly tests at 550+) for $49 a month. I feel for those in rural areas that don't have any other good options. I spent 24 years in such an area & all that was available initially was dial-up. Then we got the major upgrade of DSL, a whopping 3mbps on a good day! That & Dish satellite TV (no cable available for miles) & we were living large LOL!

Yeah if you have access to fiber or something else it is a no brainer. I couldn’t pay Spectrum $10k USD to even take a phone call about running cable a mile to my house. And yes I would pay some stupid rate to get hardline goodness.

I was being facetious but infrastructure for any internet provider is going to be costly. Just out of curiosity, I checked to see the price for my area & it's absurd.

Service: $120.00/mo
Hardware: $599.00
Shipping & Handling: $50.00
Tax: $61.66
DUE TODAY: $710.66 for maybe 100mbps.

That's a hard pass! I get 500mbps (regularly tests at 550+) for $49 a month. I feel for those in rural areas that don't have any other good options. I spent 24 years in such an area & all that was available initially was dial-up. Then we got the major upgrade of DSL, a whopping 3mbps on a good day! That & Dish satellite TV (no cable available for miles) & we were living large LOL!
Ha! Yup I think this service is a little out of touch money wise if your supposed to be marketing it to the world. I thought it was supposed to be affordable to the masses?

It's a long shot but maybe they will lower the price when more people sign up? you know kind of like that health care plan that was pedeled a decade back :p

Just canceled ViaSat today. Only took half an hour with their retention expert to get it through their thick heads that I laready have something else and I WILL NOT BE RETAINED. If you had the power for over 2 years to give me these deals that you offer today, then why didn't you?

I feel for you guys.

We have municipal fiber here in the land of love. I pay $99/month for symmetrical 2 gig speeds (up and down). It is amazing. Almost every city in front range Colorado offers municipal fiber now.

Ha! Yup I think this service is a little out of touch money wise if your supposed to be marketing it to the world. I thought it was supposed to be affordable to the masses?

It's a long shot but maybe they will lower the price when more people sign up? you know kind of like that health care plan that was pedeled a decade back :p
They charge the 1st World the full retail price so they can give it to developing countries for free.

Back
Top Bottom