Standing up playing vs Sitting down -- Let's talk about it!

And comfort straps are just band aids.
Sorry, but that is just not true.

Narrower straps put more pressure in a smaller location on your shoulder/neck.

That can lead to less blood supply, pinching nerves, etc. None of those things are good...

Sorry, but that is just not true.

Narrower straps put more pressure in a smaller location on your shoulder/neck.

That can lead to less blood supply, pinching nerves, etc. None of those things are good...
Yea was referring more to this case than in general.
However, It’s better to get in shape than just go for gear solutions. A comfort strap won’t help with putting socks on or other things that a tight back or neck will cause outside of playing guitar.

Apparently it's not all about strength if you can't even twist while switching guitars. And comfort straps are just band aids. Look into flexibility and mobility training (Strength Side on YT is fantastic). It can help with disc bulges too. Maybe even some physical therapy.
Get some gymnastics rings and do especially ring hold and ring row (plus the other stuff). It'll stabilize all the other tiny muscles that a weight workouts simply overlooks.
I get what you're saying and agree in part, but 3" straps have greatly improved my experience playing live. Even when I was in much better shape, wider straps made playing longer sets much more comfortable.

Yea was referring more to this case than in general.
However, It’s better to get in shape than just go for gear solutions. A comfort strap won’t help with putting socks on or other things that a tight back or neck will cause outside of playing guitar.
Got it... Yes, the specific case seems to have more going on.

For those of you who know how to both stand and sit while playing how do you divide your practice time between both?

Does working on one improve the other?

Are they mutually disjoint?

Can one put more pressure on your neck and lower back than the other?

I like most guitarists started off sitting playing.

Over the last 5-10 years I've been standing.

I find my neck and back injuries (herniated discs) due to MMA during my 20's can act up.

If I'm sitting too long looking down at the strings.

If I'm standing I don't get this neck pain as I can see the guitar easier but I do get back pain especially with the Gibson LP (10 lbs).

I've tried working out. I do a full body weight training session for each muscle group 1x week followed by cardio walk on the threadmill.

However, my biggest gripe with cutting practice time is carrying the weight of the guitar on my body frame.

I'm 5'8" 185 lbs and 45+.

I would say my back hurts more than my neck standing.

The weight of the LP actually pulls my posture forward needing my back to compensate.

The strat can also add up once my back is feeling stressed.

How do I get in 3-6 hrs of practice time a day standing or sitting when in this predicament?

I need to perform for 3 hrs in most concerts and that means putting at least 6 hrs of practice time a day.

I can't afford a pulled back or ab muscle during a live performance.

The issue is strengthening the core.

I would think playing the guitar would automatically do this but it doesn't.

How do you prepare for 2-3 hr gig?

Advice appreciated.
You will burn a lot more calories standing, if that matters to you.

I get what you're saying and agree in part, but 3" straps have greatly improved my experience playing live. Even when I was in much better shape, wider straps made playing longer sets much more comfortable.
What if you've got narrow shoulders? I find 3" straps falling off, along with the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom