Standalone Audio Interface

Anyone using the Behringer XR-18 AIR Wireless mixer? For the money it looks like something I would not outgrow, portable, wireless, affordable enough, good reviews, Mac/PC/iPad/Android etc.
AX8 on the way today, gotta pull the trigger on something. The price of the XR-18 AIR would be about my limit [$699]

Its really an excellent sounding and well designed unit. I primarily use it for live multitrack recording, and sound quality and ease of use are better than the rack & interface systems (with quality kit, but all the extra cabling, DO off the board etc.) I'd cobbled together in the past. Software & firmware are now stable and reliable. If doing both live band and home studio: its a great choice. The preamps do great service Mic/Line or DI. Quality of the performance, mic placement and sound of the room are the limiting factors. Integrate with the band on stage, track at home: great flexibility. No latency monitoring: Run the whole PA off it when they let you. I recommend!

Last edited:
These are the choices I am struggling to decide on at the moment. I appreciate all opinions on the matter and thank you for your time and experience. Good to hear from you artzeal, are you using Apple/iPad or PC or Android or ?

Now going bananas trying to figure out what mixer/interface to buy so I can try my 4x12 and have headphone use and USB to DAW etc... gear freeze syndrome running on all cylinders at the moment. Any opinions on the choices below or ??? welcomed from the experienced FAS users. Can't wait to struggle over a FRFR choice haha. Have the 4x12 and power amp [Crown] and 100w 5" and 8" powered monitors.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-MG12XU-LIST

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZEDi10

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-XR18-LIST

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-QX2222USB-LIST

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...2G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CIWf-9qpk8sCFU1bfgodgMAJPA

Last edited:
These are the choices I am struggling to decide on at the moment. I appreciate all opinions on the matter and thank you for your time and experience. Good to hear from you artzeal, are you using Apple/iPad or PC or Android or ?

I've dedicated a 2007 Macbook with an SSDand the Xr18 to live tracking: 24/48 - 18 tracks, then copy the session to an iMac for the studio end of things. The X-Edit app works like a champ on OSX 10.7.5 or 10.10. Wireless works fine: but I go with ethernet.

Only the XR18 works as an interface: The Xr12 or Xr16 will record a stereo file to a USB stick, but won't interface with a PC/Mac/DAW

Can't speak to the other interfaces; except that none of these offer S/PDIF (Direct digital transfer from the AX8) which would be optimal for studio use. Some other single rack unit interfaces offer that functionality. I'd take the time to arrive at a good decision on what device offers the functionality you need.

No opinions on FRFR, except that everything I think sounds great is way above my pay grade.

Last edited:
I'm selling my saffire pro 24 dsp. Has worked well for me. I'm looking to maybe snag a steinberg ur242. Lots of options out there.

Can't speak to the other interfaces; except that none of these offer S/PDIF (Direct digital transfer from the AX8) which would be optimal for studio use. Some other single rack unit interfaces offer that functionality. I'd take the time to arrive at a good decision on what device offers the functionality you need.

artzeal: I'm actually having a bit of a time finding mixers that offer S/PDIF, at least in the $250 - $700 range I'm looking at.
Could you [or any others] point me at a couple or give me the names and I'll look them up. I found a Soundcraft mixer with it but they are no longer available and it looks like their new equal dropped that feature.

The iD22 is the best Audio Interface I ever had. Bought it in spring 2015 and recorded three albums with it.
I was right in the middle of two productions when there were some probs with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Had to switch between 44.1 and 48.0 kHz because each mixer had different preferences. The Focusrite couldn't handle that in my DAW and always switched back.
I needed a replacement and had a RME babyface in mind. The guy in the shop recommended the audient iD22 and I went for it. I was blown away when I compared my new recordings with the ones I did with my Focusrite Scarlett and decided to record all of my finished tracks again. The difference in sound quality was obvious and I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile.
Never had any problems. Maybe my best investment together with the AXE-FX II and the AX8....and some guitars :D

Are you using the digital in? Would a simple coax to toslink convertor work?

Alrighty then... That Audient iD22 looks like the winner. If/When I need more in/outs/pre's I'll invest in the Berhinger XR18 as both together are still relatively affordable [$1298.00 USD total for both]. I "get" them both now, but can't get them both now ha.

Thanks all sincerely for sharing your experience, I appreciate it.

RutRow - Audient ASP880 and ASP800, Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Anyone using the Behringer XR-18 AIR Wireless mixer?

For the money it looks like something I would not outgrow, portable, wireless, affordable enough, good reviews, Mac/PC/iPad/Android etc.
AX8 on the way today, gotta pull the trigger on something. The price of the XR-18 AIR would be about my limit [$699]

We bought one for our practice room and I have played around with it quite a bit. Its a FANTASTIC unit - I cannot tell you how much it has impressed me (and the band) with everything it can do - 18 I/O Interface - yup! PA Mixer - yup! Recording interface to allow multi-tracking the band - yup! IEM hub - yup!! It literally does everything - and sounds SO much better than the previous solutions we have used (Yamaha, Mackie and Persons) - I think it the fact that its basically a Midas underneath......

In fact its SO good I am thinking of getting another to use sole as a USB hub/interface in my office/studio!

Thanks Dealmaker, I am impressed with everything I have been reading and hearing about the XR18. It really does seem like a great piece of gear and for the price very impressive. I am still considering it as I would not have to daisy chain additional gear [$] for more ins/out pre's as well as its other nice features.

So... I currently have a fast laptop PC. It has a THUNDERBOLT 1.0 port and USB 3.0
I am seriously considering buying my first Apple computers [desktop and laptop/iPad/iPhone] if for no other reason than I've never had any Apple gear and lots of music production seem to get done on them with users being happy people. As you all know Thunderbolt is available with the Apple products even more so than the PC. Now with THUNDERBOLT 2.0

So I did a search on "Thunderbolt Audio Mixers. And now my head is spinning again lol. Any feedback from you awesome Fractal Audio forum members on Thunderbolt mixers? There are some in the price range my budget allows for this investment [sub $1000.00

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1089--Th...=b&network=g&gclid=CMjv16CqmMsCFU1gfgodliIGNQ

Thanks Dealmaker, I am impressed with everything I have been reading and hearing about the XR18. It really does seem like a great piece of gear and for the price very impressive. I am still considering it as I would not have to daisy chain additional gear [$] for more ins/out pre's as well as its other nice features.

So... I currently have a fast laptop PC. It has a THUNDERBOLT 1.0 port and USB 3.0
I am seriously considering buying my first Apple computers [desktop and laptop/iPad/iPhone] if for no other reason than I've never had any Apple gear and lots of music production seem to get done on them with users being happy people. As you all know Thunderbolt is available with the Apple products even more so than the PC. Now with THUNDERBOLT 2.0

So I did a search on "Thunderbolt Audio Mixers. And now my head is spinning again lol. Any feedback from you awesome Fractal Audio forum members on Thunderbolt mixers? There are some in the price range my budget allows for this investment [sub $1000.00

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1089--Th...=b&network=g&gclid=CMjv16CqmMsCFU1gfgodliIGNQ

You really don't need a thunderbolt interface. USB has plenty of bandwidth for audio applications. The other concern is the danger that it will become obsolete (not right now, but maybe down the road), similar to what happened with Firewire...which came after USB but went away faster. Folks shelled out $ for firewire interfaces even though the extra bus speed didn't gain them anything, then their gear was obsolete with the next computer upgrade as manufacturers abandoned/moved on from firewire.

I think it's fine going with Mac, but they'll still have USB and so I'd stick with that for audio gear.

take a look at the SPL Crimson Interface. It has 2 high quality preamps, Spdif in/out and 2 high quality headphone amps And a superb control room section.

The drivers are rock solid, the overall audio quality is fantastic for the price. I had the Focusrite 18i20 before the Crimson, and it's also a good unit, If you need to record more than 6 tracks at once. But from the driver stability and audio quality I prefer the Crimson.

BTW: I also have the XR18 for Live-Recording/Rehearsal/Gigging. It's a great tool, but it has no digital In/outputs.

I think you just need to think of "Thunderbolt" mixers as regular USB Mixers.....but with a different connection method....I don't think that, for the purpose of mixing, the extra speed/bandwidth of Thunderbolt is that mission critical ?? Pretty much all Apple stuff has USB ports on it as well anyway.....so its just choice of which standard you want to use.

Yes- I also switched over to Apple stuff a few years ago....I simply can't use PC's now - I end up wanting to throw them out of the window!! The XR18 is something of a Swiss-Army knife.......so if you ever plans to do anything other than simply mixing - tis probably the thing to go for - I really like the flexibility it gives and the multitude of I/O choices.

I have to say two things... do you know what you want to do with an interface? And... don't stress this to much. In the price range of the Scarlett stuff, most things in that market are really decent in comparison. I.e. none of them will allow you to turn their internal preamps off to use, say a Neve or Avalon or etc. etc. etc. preamp. Even the UA Apollo Duo doesn't have such a feature, and the rack units have it to where the first 4 channels are internal preamp, and the last 4 have no preamp.

The 2000 dollar rack UA and the Audient are really the first points of entry to having any sort of option to turn off or not have internal preamps. These are also where converter quality starts taking a real jump up, which you'll most notice when pushing things... especially on the DA to AD side.

Depending on how good you are as a mixer, you can really make things lively and the Scarlett price range really shines in helping people really get some tracks recorded that are clean conversion wise, and the preamps in many of those units are given the flat treatment so none of them tend to color sound too much. The advantage here is that you can always color things later with analog modeling plugins of all sorts.

Some of that is pretty obvious, but if recording is your aim, I think it helps break down key issues versus unit versus unit. When it comes to Focusrite and Stienberg and Presonus... they're all killer units for the price. I got a Scarlett 2 channel interface because I have a friend who has the 4 channel one, and I thought it might make any collaborative efforts easier if we want to expand inputs. Sometimes the choice is that simple. LOL I ended up getting a POD XG too(think that's the letters) so I could track with plugin models without latency when I'm in writing demo mode. I've found that it's similarly comparable to the Scarlett in terms of conversion and preamp levels. The question of whether you need to jump up to the much more expensive route of Apollo Quad, Audient, Apogee's range, or Antelope really gets into how many tracks you need to record at the same time, whether you need to mix in and out of the box (good enough DA to AD to be able to push the 2 bus and enough outs to send to multiple hardware units), etc. The price can really not be worth it for what some people's ears will even be able to hear. Unless you start doing certain things with it, you might not notice that an expensive converter is all that much different unless you're comparing it to a really bad one. In something like the AX8, the conversion is so important because so much saturation of sound is happening in creating these models. Most digital sizzle that modeling tends to have comes from an inablility to really convert all that complex high end. This is a place you'll notice converter quality in interfaces the same way... usually you'll catch it during mixing. You'll suddenly notice that even though your guitars aren't anywhere near clipping even in average level, yet there is digital overload sounding distortion and turning down the volume seems to help. Usually you first notice it if you're doing editing with headphones through the laptop's headphone jack. When it goes away after you get the interface hooked up... your DA to AD conversion in that box has just been revealed to be far superior to your laptop's. If both do it... it might have even recorded that way and some serious low pass filtering is gonna be necessary. Just an example... it can be more complicated than that for sure, but its an idea of the sorts of things that pop up. You might still run into those sorts of things with any of the lower priced models... yet, they're still good enough that its usually not hard to work around.

If you're just talking about live situations, you need a quality direct box, not an interface.

If you're talking about live situations and you aren't in a band with a PA and have yet to buy one for your solo shows, or are responsible for buying it for your band, then that's a whole other ball of wax, and I'll definitely say that the Behringer stuff is priced at a point that you can't go wrong to get it and start making some money with. Especially with the Midas influence.

But again... really the whole point of such a long detailed post is to just say that whatever you do, you can't really go wrong as long as what you need to do is supported by whatever you get. Don't get a one channel interface if you want to record your guitar and your vocal in one pass. lol Whatever you want to do, the sound quality of things today is really quite amazing and you really can do wonderous things at home, so even if you realize you need to upgrade in the future, don't worry that you'll make bad sounding stuff in the meantime because as long as you watch your levels and listen for crackles, you'll be fine.

I think you just need to think of "Thunderbolt" mixers as regular USB Mixers.....but with a different connection method....I don't think that, for the purpose of mixing, the extra speed/bandwidth of Thunderbolt is that mission critical ??

Thunderbolt has more options of latency free tracking, and offers some other bells and whistles as found with the Apollo stuff, but essentially that's true. If you're recording guitar with plugins (which we're talking about hooking the AX8 up to track with so that's not likely an issue here) Thunderbolt would be far preferred in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom