Standalone Audio Interface

sbruce

Inspired
I have an AX8 on the way!!!
I am deciding between it and a Helix. If I go AX8 I will need to get an audio interface (my current MBox MINI is no longer supported).

Anyone know any cheaper interfaces that will work without a computer as well? There will be times I don't want to fire up the computer (or left the laptop at work) and still want output to studio monitors and headphones.

Any options besides the mixers that also have USB?

Forcusrite Scarlet.

I have the 18i20, I have a default setup that is baked into the memory so I don't always need to turn on the computer.

I second the Focusrite Scarlett. I bought the 6i6, partially for use with the AX8. It's probably the lowest one I'd recommend, because it has a digital mixer (which is very handy) that most cheaper models don't have. This means you can use it without the computer, as you can route inputs and outputs directly through the interface once it's been configured. The mixer is also great for recording too, as you can set up your own monitor mixes.

Right now, I think, it is very important to check, if the different manufacturers truly support the newest OS's (Win10, Apple El Capitan) for the specific interfaces.

I love my M-Audio FastTrack C600, and it can do anything you want, but although it is officially support thru to 2017, Avid (who has bought this part of M-Audio) has not made a Win10 update, and it is running poorly under Win10. I hear the same problems with different Presonus interfaces with El Capitan.

It seems that the Roland interfaces are getting great reviews.

Thanks for the replies this far.

Anyone have the Audient id22? It seems to get rave reviews but can't find answer about using standalone. (I've just sent a customer service email so hopefully they can answer). I just picked up a Apoggee One for a steal, but it doesn't seem to work standalone so it may be going back.

You need audio interface only for recording. You can connect your studio monitors directly to AX8 outputs.

I realize I could just go XLR to monitors, but I also want a headphones solution as well as the ability to use an additional source.

Just get an adapter, and plug in your headphones to the output jacks. You need two 1/4" males to one 1/4" female... costs about $5

I have an AX8 on the way!!!
I am deciding between it and a Helix. If I go AX8 I will need to get an audio interface (my current MBox MINI is no longer supported).

Anyone know any cheaper interfaces that will work without a computer as well? There will be times I don't want to fire up the computer (or left the laptop at work) and still want output to studio monitors and headphones.

Any options besides the mixers that also have USB?
I highly recommend the Steinberg UR22.

I have the UR44, which has a couple of advantages over the 22, but both are excellent. I also have a Roland Octacapture, also good. My top choice would be the UR44 though.

Thanks for the replies this far.

Anyone have the Audient id22? It seems to get rave reviews but can't find answer about using standalone. (I've just sent a customer service email so hopefully they can answer). I just picked up a Apoggee One for a steal, but it doesn't seem to work standalone so it may be going back.

The iD22 is the best Audio Interface I ever had. Bought it in spring 2015 and recorded three albums with it.
I was right in the middle of two productions when there were some probs with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Had to switch between 44.1 and 48.0 kHz because each mixer had different preferences. The Focusrite couldn't handle that in my DAW and always switched back.
I needed a replacement and had a RME babyface in mind. The guy in the shop recommended the audient iD22 and I went for it. I was blown away when I compared my new recordings with the ones I did with my Focusrite Scarlett and decided to record all of my finished tracks again. The difference in sound quality was obvious and I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile.
Never had any problems. Maybe my best investment together with the AXE-FX II and the AX8....and some guitars :D

I realize I could just go XLR to monitors, but I also want a headphones solution as well as the ability to use an additional source.

For headphones and additional sources and possibilities: Yamaha AG06. Not for digital recording.

For monitoring no need for anything but the AX8
For monitoring and additional source consider small mixer, perhaps get one with USB out to use for recording as well - consider one of the small Allen & Heath mixers.
For recording consider
low price Focusrite Scarlet (haven't tried it but know several that like theirs)
medium priced Apollo Duo ("table top version" is great - recorded with one recently at a friends house)
high end Metric Halo ULN-2 or ULN-8 , IMHO the absolute best interfaces for Mac users

I'm still looking at options...but I'll say using my AKG k240 headphones directly from AX8 does not sound very good.

I'm still looking at options...but I'll say using my AKG k240 headphones directly from AX8 does not sound very good.

There's valid options that have been suggested here. I'd still suggest the Scarlett 6i6, and it has S/PDIF too so you'll only need one cable for the AX8. For that price, you'd be hard pressed to find an interface with more features.

Anyone using the Behringer XR-18 AIR Wireless mixer?

For the money it looks like something I would not outgrow, portable, wireless, affordable enough, good reviews, Mac/PC/iPad/Android etc.
AX8 on the way today, gotta pull the trigger on something. The price of the XR-18 AIR would be about my limit [$699]

Back
Top Bottom