Stand in switches help

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
At the 2:31" mark My Layout 8 says 'Utilities' and there is no stand in switches option Is Leon using an older FW? what has changed and how do I get this to work like he is trying to help us se this up?

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘there is no stand-in switch option’. A stand-in switch is an external switch that you assign to control one of the FM3 switch (whether that switch is actually being ‘displayed’ on the FM3).

For starters, what function are you trying to control using a stand-in switch (tuner? tap tempo?)?

His layout just has a different name. It will show the name of whatever layout you select. The switches in the layout will also show whatever functions are assigned to them. It likely won't be the same as his unless your layouts all match his exactly.

He scrolled to as is and did not name it, it said 'stand in switches' Mine says 'Utilities' on Layout 8 with no option I see to rename it. Does that mean it is in a different mode that I need to change?

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘there is no stand-in switch option’. A stand-in switch is an external switch that you assign to control one of the FM3 switch (whether that switch is actually being ‘displayed’ on the FM3).

For starters, what function are you trying to control using a stand-in switch (tuner? tap tempo?)?

He scrolled to as is and did not name it, it said 'stand in switches' Mine says 'Utilities' on Layout 8 with no option I see to rename it. Does that mean it is in a different mode that I need to change?
Probably another scene and the Tuner, right now have a 2 button stand in switch I would like to add

He appears to have renamed Layout 8. Rename it as follows:

IMG_3892.png

That said, you don’t need to rename it to add stand-in switches. Just select whichever layout has the switch you want to assign the external switch to. So if your tuner switch is in layout 8, just select that (whatever it’s named, likely ‘utilities’ if it hasn’t been changed).

Currently what I have going. I don't mind holding to scroll thru the other scenes it would be nice to have the stand in be the tuner to start

FM3 Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 8.02.02 PM.png

Just select the layout and switch that is set up for the tuner. The name of the layout is irrelevant.

In your screen shot it looks like you have switch 9 in Layout 2 set to Tuner. On the Stand-In Switch screen, just select layout 2 and switch 9 for the particular external switch you want to use.

Another great use of the stand in switch is to change Views. I can see in your image above that you are on Layout 2 (Scenes); View 1 (which shows the first three scenes). View 2 (Scenes 4, 5, 6) are greyed out, as is View 3 (Scenes 7, 8, Tuner).

You can set a stand in switch to toggle between Layout 2: Views 1, 2, 3, and then wrap back around to View 1. That way you are only a couple of short presses away from any Scene in a Preset, and also the Tuner. This is quicker than using long presses to change Views (and this is the process that is already baked into the stock Layouts).

Hope this helps! :cool:

Last edited:
Now that I have the Tuner assigned to scene 10 can I put something else in scene 9?
no idea what this means. there is not scene 10 or 9.

the Stand-ins are remote controls for a "real" switch slot. if you use Switch 9 for Tuner for a stand in, you cannot then change switch 9 to something else because the stand in is remote controlling that switch.

just imagine if you could take the switch physically off the hardware, and move it over a few feet - that is basically what a stand in switch is doing.

this is why i like putting the stand in "real switches" on a Layout i never use.

the stand-in isn't an "extra" switch or switch assignment. it's to press an "actual" switch without having to be on that layout.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom