• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

stage set up question

Guitar ->- Tuner ->- OD 1 ->- OD 2 ->- Axe FX front input.
Axe FX out #1 left XLR to FOH.
Axe FX out #1 right 1/4" to Combo front input.
Axe FX out #2 left to Pre-amp--Eclipse input
Axe FX in #2 left to Eclipse output

GRID:---Wha--Wammy--Drive1--Drive2--Flanger/Phazer---Delay--FX loop\---Amp--Cab (panned LEFT)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * row 2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *\------Volume block(panned RIGHT)

This should give you what you're asking for??? I don't like reverbs or delays in front of amps, but that's just me. Have you tried doing all of this inside the box? You could still monitor it on your combo.

Last edited:
Lose the external effects. I had a gmajor 2 the axe fx effects are as good if not better than the ones you listed. Use a powered FRFR speaker (like xitone powered wedge) for your on stage feedback and monitor off output 2. Lose the external amp. I play live as well, what you describing seems like a lot of hassle, complicated, and potential for lots to go wrong. You should be able to get some good tones or even tone match your external amp as sound as good as if not better. Definitely in a live situation no one will be able to tell the difference.

I tried to hang on to my tube amp, using the axe in the 4cm effects only method for a while. In the end I got a better tone and a lot less to haul and setup by being open minded and not being too attached to my old gear.

Last edited:
Guitar ->- Tuner ->- OD 1 ->- OD 2 ->- Axe FX front input.
Axe FX out #1 left XLR to FOH.
Axe FX out #1 right 1/4" to Combo front input.
Axe FX out #2 left to Pre-amp--Eclipse input
Axe FX in #2 left to Eclipse output

GRID:---Wha--Wammy--Drive1--Drive2--Flanger/Phazer---Delay--FX loop\---Amp--Cab (panned LEFT)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * row 2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *\------Volume block(panned RIGHT)

This should give you what you're asking for??? I don't like reverbs or delays in front of amps, but that's just me. Have you tried doing all of this inside the box? You could still monitor it on your combo.

Thanks, that's what i wanted to hear. I've always had delays and reverbs going into my 2 amps (ac30's with no fx loop) so that's how i'm used to hear/use them.
As far as doing it inside the box, there's something about the boss od2 that i haven't been able to emulate in the axe, and the eventide eclipse reverbs are just far superior to my ears.

Thanks for the diagram!

Lose the external effects. I had a gmajor 2 the axe fx effects are as good if not better than the ones you listed. Use a powered FRFR speaker (like xitone powered wedge) for your on stage feedback and monitor off output 2. Lose the external amp. I play live as well, what you describing seems like a lot of hassle, complicated, and potential for lots to go wrong. You should be able to get some good tones or even tone match your external amp as sound as good as if not better. Definitely in a live situation no one will be able to tell the difference.

I tried to hang on to my tube amp, using the axe in the 4cm effects only method for a while. In the end I got a better tone and a lot less to haul and setup by being open minded and not being too attached to my old gear.

With all due respect, the gmajor sucks. The eventide's reverbs and delays just sound better (to my ears at least). Eventually sooner or later i'll go for smaller and simpler setup, just not yet!

With all due respect, the gmajor sucks. The eventide's reverbs and delays just sound better (to my ears at least). Eventually sooner or later i'll go for smaller and simpler setup, just not yet!

No respect needed. I agree. I think you will find that the delays in the axe are very good. I sold my gmajor and my eventide stuff shortly after getting the axefx dialed in with a few of my basic patches. I think the eventides harmony pitch effects are top notch and the axe fx didn't quite match up there, but it was close enough for me not to bother with the extra effects

No matter how I tried, I couldn't get row 2 in the diagram to line up. After the FX loop block is where you need to branch off to row 2. I will post a screen shot tonight if you need.

To save a little CPU% you can omit the volume block after branching. The layout menu has a mix page where each row can be balanced to either side.

Ok, so i'd have a row with all fx (including fx loop at the end of fx chain), then a split to amp sim in same row panned hard L and a shunt in different row to out panned hard right, correct? Then i suppose i'd connect L xlr out1 to pa and R 1/4" out1 to amp, right?

Yeah, but I figured the volume block would help with controlling the level to the combo now that the output 1 knob controls FOH and the input to the combo.

But honestly, this could all be done with the output mixer. I just keep forgetting about it, I never seem to use it

Last edited:
A global volume block could be nice--then you'd have a way to adjust relative L/R levels by setting & storing one time in any preset.

I didnt get to try with my full setup as i got my amp and extra fx at my studio while the axe is at home (I've still been messing with preset making). In the next couple days i'll take to the studio, patch it into the rig and see if it all works out! I suppose it should though

Back
Top Bottom