Stability in movies, music, games... ?

goribigon

Inspired
hi, what's your take on the axe stability in "sound card" stuff like games, music, movies...
should i be worried ? :ugeek

It's one of more expensive sound cards you can get, but it works fine in that capacity for me when I use it for system sound on 2 Macbook Pro laptops.

What are you talking? Axe Fx is WAY more stable and more high tech and probably more crash free than audiophille 2496. I've yet to crash with the Ultra of the Axe2.

Oh yeah! INTERFACE! As in audio interface. Sorry. Misunderstood. I have great interfaces and don't use Axe for that.

I do not recommend the AxeFXII as an audio interface. Not having 4 inputs via USB kills it. I use a separate interface and connect via SPDIF just like I did with the Ultra. Invest in a better card or rack unit.

I do not recommend the AxeFXII as an audio interface. Not having 4 inputs via USB kills it. I use a separate interface and connect via SPDIF just like I did with the Ultra. Invest in a better card or rack unit.

:-x do u mean the inputs on the back are useless when in usb mode ?

It's horrible on my systems (Macbook Pro OR Mac Pro, snow leopard - see http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/42421-mac-usb-issues.html). Least stable interface I have ever owned. Pops and clicks all over the place during any form of USB audio playback. I no longer use the axe as an interface.
This! It's reliable for a while but every so often it decides to pop and click all of my superior drummer samples when I am playing back/programing in reaper. I always just changed the sound card and then went back to to the axe and it was fine. But during a movie and game, this would be unacceptable. It'd be cool to know why this happens, if any one does know why. Be even cooler if there was something I could do to stop this from happening as it is almost guaranteed after an hour of using it.

Well really, honest to god, it's a guitar processor. It's not designed to be an audio interface. If you need a good audio interface you should get one. Don't get a chicken caesar salad and then complain that it's not a banana split. A very good audio interface actually is worth every penny. And top notch ones aren't cheap. That's my two cents.

:-x do u mean the inputs on the back are useless when in usb mode ?

Check out the following page:
USB connectivity - Axe-Fx II Wiki

It's confusing because it's not a freely routable interface but I think they did there best to maximize the options. Unfortunately the lack of 4 outs from the computer to ins on the Axe is not possible. In other words, you can't send a reference stereo mix to the AxeFX as well as a stereo guitar (or mono for that matter) for processing at the same time. You send a stereo mix in and plug in directly to the axe to jam along but this to me is useless.

I route through a separate interface and connect the Axe just like any send/return device through spdif. At this point I don't care that it's not USB since both boxes are located in the same rack so the extra wires are out of my sight. However it was an initial selling point that enticed me to upgrade to the II. Now I see many other reasons why the upgrade was justified but it has nothing to do with audio over usb. To reiterate, I wouldn't plan on using it as your main io device but double check the documentation to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom