"SS Pwr Amp + Cab" vs "FRFR" Setting: which do you prefer?

Mark Al

Inspired
I found I almost always prefer "SS Pwr Amp + Cab" with headphone, studio monitor or my PowerCab212, FRFR settings seems to reduce the dynamic quite a bit. What's your preference, regarding clean, crunch, drive and lead tones? :)

1599587030326.png

Last edited:
I use headphones a lot in the mornings when I figure the family is tired of hearing me and mostly on crunch and lead tones. I've always left it on FRFR and been very happy with the results. To me it sounds like an idealized version of what would be going to a mix. They are a not horribly expensive set of Yamahas, but the seem to be the flattest sounding thing I have.

I use headphones a lot in the mornings when I figure the family is tired of hearing me and mostly on crunch and lead tones. I've always left it on FRFR and been very happy with the results. To me it sounds like an idealized version of what would be going to a mix. They are a not horribly expensive set of Yamahas, but the seem to be the flattest sounding thing I have.
Interesting :) Fat would not be my word of choice to describe FRFR setting, but rather it sounds a bit sterile compared to "SS Pwr Amp + Cab" setting.

Lol, FLATtest not FATtest. They're not Beats :D. Yeah, YMMV on your headphones versus mine. Since mine are a little cheaper, they could be more hifi-ish and have some hyped bass and highs.

Lol, FLATtest not FATtest. They're not Beats :D. Yeah, YMMV on your headphones versus mine. Since mine are a little cheaper, they could be more hifi-ish and have some hyped bass and highs.
Sorry, my bad... :) Regarding headphone, the "flattest" in my experience is Etymotic ER4SR. I have been using ER4 series for decades, many much more expensive headphones have come and gone from my possession, nothing beats the ER4SR for its clarity, detail and balance.

I actually have no idea what mine is set to. I just dialed in a couple of presets, moved the amp settings to something pleasant, and it's been like 9 months now. I guess I'll have to check sometime later this year.

Back
Top Bottom