SRV Rig diagram translation to Axe-Fx

Thanks for putting the work in.
It will be interesting to see what you come up with for the axe fx.

Thanks
Pauly
😅 I hope the expectation won’t be too high…but I’ll do it today and post the preset later to get further advice from you all.

It's getting difficult, there is no Vibratone model in the Library of the Rotary...I'll try to find a walk around, but it's time for a new post in the wish list :D

And here it is the first attempt.
  • I added a virtual capo with -1 semitone to match his tuning
  • I know there is no need to keep Drive and Wah in a loop, but for fun, I just wanted to replicate it all
  • I used Maxon 808, TS9 did't sounded appropriate, or I had to go in the tone options, I'll try maybe
  • Scene 1 is the combo of Dumble (based on @austinbuddy tutorial and @2112 preset...Thank you!) and Marshall Major (based on @Piing preset) with Dumble Cab
  • Scene 2 is the combo of 2 Fender Super Reverb
  • I know, there is no need to keep 2 cab block, but I wanted to replicate even visually the rig. :cool:

This will be the starting point. I'll keep it as is, I'll tweak many times, I don't know... It was just fun to do that, to research, to see how others approached amps not in the list, to make the preset.

Any advice will be appreciated, and if it is just trash, it's ok. I enjoyed the 2 hours I spent anyway. :D

Attachments

• SRV Rig.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
Hi

Loved this preset - made a few small changes -

Added a Fuzz Face and Univibe for the Hendrix moments
Made the wah (FC2 switch for me) only on the Marshall based sounds
For the Fender, on the Vibrato channel made FC 2 pedal control the depth of the amp vibrato
Added tape pre-amp to both cabs
on the Rumble IRs added a bit of smoothing
Made the Reverbs stereo and changed to a different Verb (channel A is still available)
Moved the Rotary in parallel and made control switch 2 fast/slow speed
Added a volume pedal on FC 1 pedal

Thanks!

Attachments

• SRV Rig Upd.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 77
Hi

For the Fender, on the Vibrato channel made FC 2 pedal control the depth of the amp vibrato
Made the Reverbs stereo and changed to a different Verb (channel A is still available)

Thanks!
Great! I can't wait to try it in the coming days (I'm stuck in my office chair for a while). Thank you!

I think it's really cool to build a collaborative preset

Hi

Thanks!
WOW! Thank you!
I just tried your preset and I love it!

Is there a specific srv tone you were going after here? A specific song or era? I never saw him use all this at once. It was either the Marshall/Dumble or the Fender tone. The fact they show the custom switcher is interesting. I assume the fender tone was for things like Rivera Paradise.

And here it is the first attempt.
  • I added a virtual capo with -1 semitone to match his tuning
  • I know there is no need to keep Drive and Wah in a loop, but for fun, I just wanted to replicate it all
  • I used Maxon 808, TS9 did't sounded appropriate, or I had to go in the tone options, I'll try maybe
  • Scene 1 is the combo of Dumble (based on @austinbuddy tutorial and @2112 preset...Thank you!) and Marshall Major (based on @Piing preset) with Dumble Cab
  • Scene 2 is the combo of 2 Fender Super Reverb
  • I know, there is no need to keep 2 cab block, but I wanted to replicate even visually the rig. :cool:

This will be the starting point. I'll keep it as is, I'll tweak many times, I don't know... It was just fun to do that, to research, to see how others approached amps not in the list, to make the preset.

Any advice will be appreciated, and if it is just trash, it's ok. I enjoyed the 2 hours I spent anyway. :D

Well done @Gl4th on building this out - sounds fantastic!

The MXR box just takes the wah and tube screamer completely out of the signal path -- you don't need that with the Axe-Fx.

How are you planning to run 5 amps simultaneously with the Axe-Fx? Because that's what it looks like is happening here.
Waiting on 5 amp blocks (or better yet, be able to turn on all 302 at the same time for a actual wall of sound) for the AxeFXII...I'm kidding of course...

Hi

Thanks!
My feedback as a home-user:

Very usable preset and see how others make presets (especially for SRV).

• Dailed back the volume (as it was very red on the output block on my end)
  • I messed with some other drives (klon) and noticed that sound goes through the shunts from phaser to comp. So clean or distorted sounds get's in the signal path. Not sure if this is intended, but for using the klon, I had to take these shunts away. (can also be a block or mixer to have them mixed in if you like it to be included.

Questions:

• Is this for LIVE usage?
  • Why is volume so in the reds? Intended? Reason (I am really curious!)
  • Should the shunts be there (maybe put a mixer or something that shut down this route when not needed. As "clean"sound or sound with drives get into the signal path.

1670938463188.png

Made a quick PRESET based upon my home settings and the latest preset (upd).

1670938547317.png

• Changed the CABS and made it stereo panned (i did not apply this to all).
  • Added the mixer so you can select some different settings including full clean sound to pass through AND no sound.
  • Changed some volume-stuff (not everywhere, just experimenting)

NOTES:
  • Volume and stereo settings should be checked (As I have an unthreated home studio)
  • It's HOME (low volume) and NOT checked on high or gig volume!
  • I did not match ALL presets, so this still needs to be done!
  • Wondering if it's usable for non TURBO users (please feedback on CPU)

Attachments

• SRV HOME Preset.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
My feedback as a home-user:

Very usable preset and see how others make presets (especially for SRV).

• Dailed back the volume (as it was very red on the output block on my end)
  • I messed with some other drives (klon) and noticed that sound goes through the shunts from phaser to comp. So clean or distorted sounds get's in the signal path. Not sure if this is intended, but for using the klon, I had to take these shunts away. (can also be a block or mixer to have them mixed in if you like it to be included.

Questions:

• Is this for LIVE usage?
  • Why is volume so in the reds? Intended? Reason (I am really curious!)
  • Should the shunts be there (maybe put a mixer or something that shut down this route when not needed. As "clean"sound or sound with drives get into the signal path.

View attachment 112589

Made a quick PRESET based upon my home settings and the latest preset (upd).

View attachment 112590

• Changed the CABS and made it stereo panned (i did not apply this to all).
  • Added the mixer so you can select some different settings including full clean sound to pass through AND no sound.
  • Changed some volume-stuff (not everywhere, just experimenting)

NOTES:
  • Volume and stereo settings should be checked (As I have an unthreated home studio)
  • It's HOME (low volume) and NOT checked on high or gig volume!
  • I did not match ALL presets, so this still needs to be done!
  • Wondering if it's usable for non TURBO users (please feedback on CPU)
Just loading the preset has my non-turbo at 65-75% between scenes without enabling any additional blocks.

My advice is to look up Tyler Grund's video on how he created the tone in the AxeFx II. He had the tone nailed. Two amps and JBL IR with a few tweaks to the amp blocks. The tone (and playing) in his videos speak for themselves. Of course I'm more interested in nailing the tone than the rig setup. This diagram reminds me a lot of Bonamassa's set up except JB would use the low/high from the cleaner amp and the mids from the dirty amp. I'm not sure SRV blended that way (Eric Johnson should get that credit for Joe B's 'blending' I believe). SRV had 'the wall of tone'. But trust me, Tyler Grund nailed it, IMO.

My advice is to look up Tyler Grund's video on how he created the tone in the AxeFx II. He had the tone nailed. Two amps and JBL IR with a few tweaks to the amp blocks. The tone (and playing) in his videos speak for themselves. Of course I'm more interested in nailing the tone than the rig setup. This diagram reminds me a lot of Bonamassa's set up except JB would use the low/high from the cleaner amp and the mids from the dirty amp. I'm not sure SRV blended that way (Eric Johnson should get that credit for Joe B's 'blending' I believe). SRV had 'the wall of tone'. But trust me, Tyler Grund nailed it, IMO.
I figured I'd make it easy on anyone who's interested. I have a preset that I've created and then tweaked. I believe MY missing ingredient is the guitar, pickup and string gauge. Not any neck single coil will do. But it fools my friends.

My advice is to look up Tyler Grund's video on how he created the tone in the AxeFx II. He had the tone nailed. Two amps and JBL IR with a few tweaks to the amp blocks. But trust me, Tyler Grund nailed it, IMO.

True dat ! Tyler's SRV is the absolute best I've heard yet !

Is there a specific srv tone you were going after here? A specific song or era? I never saw him use all this at once. It was either the Marshall/Dumble or the Fender tone. The fact they show the custom switcher is interesting. I assume the fender tone was for things like Rivera Paradise.
As I posted since the beginning The goal of the preset was not to recreate the perfect tone for SRV, but to try to translate the diagram into Axe Edit, just for fun.

As I posted since the beginning The goal of the preset was not to recreate the perfect tone for SRV, but to try to translate the diagram into Axe Edit, just for fun.
Ah.. Cool! I've got all of the links open (Steel Singer, Marshall Major and your the updated SRV Rig Upd.syx downloaded and ready to dig in. Should be interesting to see the different ways to go about it.

Back
Top Bottom