splitter instead of out1 and out2

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Hi folks,

I was thinking about getting a splitter to use to feed FOH and my monitors (FRFR) instead of out1 and out2. Reason for this is to go balanced XLR all the way instead of using out2 (unbalanced).
A solution like this one: Behringer: ULTRALINK PRO MX882

fits nicely in my rack and have level controls.

since im not highly skilled in this sort of tech stuff I hope I could get some input or options to this solution.

Or perhaps some people here using out2 to feed FRFR monitors would give some feedback on how it works, any or none issues?

Thanks

Recently got that MX882 myself to use it as an IEM mixer. While I did not plan it at first I ended up doing exactly as you describe in your post. Leaving I/O 2 on the Axe FX available as an effects loop.

So far, so good. I have not noticed any substantial increase in noise or hiss.
I did re-level my presets so that they appear to have the same level going into the mx882 with a given output 1 level setting on the Axe.
I haven't been able yet to try them out at live volumes though. So I'm not sure if that was a smart thing to do.

I use it every day to mix my computer's sound and the axe's into my monitors and it works like a charm, no sound coloration or alteration.

I send XLR out of out 1 to FOH and use a 1/4" to XLR cable to the XLR in of my QSC k10 speakers. No mixer needed. I use copy out 1 to out 2. Or I could just use all 4 outputs of out 1 if necessary.

I use the whirlwind IMP splitters to split out 1 to my IEM and FOH. I highly recommend them.

I also use output 2 to feed my matrix and onstage cabs.

No excuse for not hearing myself!

How far away are your monitors? I really wouldn't bother with that splitter....if anything, it might just slightly degrade the signal since you're adding another amplifier circuit.

I _tried_ this using a Mackie 1402 mixer. My results weren't as stellar, most likely because the balanced ins on the Mackie were also mic preamps, which do apply some color to the sound. I also noted a bit of extra hiss as well. I quickly disassembled the rig and went back to using Output 2 with 1/4 TS to XLR connectors. These are quiet and problem free, but it doesn't let me crank my computer through the RCF's. So I ended up using some Focal Solo6 BE's for monitors on the computer. I can also route the Axe-FX II to them using either the 0 latency mixer from RME (I use a pair of fireface 800's), or through the mixer that is in Logic.

Pete

Thanks for input and suggestions guys.

Yea, well monitors will not be far away really.
But this looked like a neat solution to still use balanced out1 and have some level control handy.

I think I will have a go with it and see how it works and since some of you guys seems to have no problem with TS to XLR I might try out2 also, even though I wanted to "save" that one for fx send/return

You can use both XLR and jack on Out 1 simultaneously.

Yea, thought of that too, but that doesn't give me separate level controls right? or I missed something?

Hmm..(thinking) I could place the power-amp fairly close to me and use that one for adjusting stage level for monitors if using TS-XLR on out1 as well.

Back
Top Bottom