Splawn quickrod model, how dare I doubt it

this is good example of quickrod "right out of box".

Splawn Quickrod - YouTube

As you can see, different from the axefx.

Gear 1 is cleanest tightest and with least gain but still has good amount of gain. Gear 2 and 3 are slightly bassier than gear 1 and have also more gain. The voicing is the same on all gears. Gear 1 sounds the best to me.

Honestly, I think with a little love and affection (time and patience), using the Axe-fx, you can bend and shape an amp you hate into something new and cool.
Just saying its pretty deep and powerful. Im going to make a few bastardized amp patches here soon. High gain Fenders, shit like that. :)

I agree. You are absolutely correct.

Given the parameters available on the Axe FX I could probably make it sound to my liking. But at that point, it would no longer be a quick rod.

I can just as easily switch over to the Brit 800, Friedman, 5150 III, Leggy, or a few others and be instantly satisfied.

O/T: It's good to see some amp manufacturers (CarolAnn, Friedman, Fryette, Suhr etc) collaborating with Fractal.
Works both ways. If I were to buy an analog amp again, my experience with the Axe models is an important decision-making factor. Friedman BE (with options) would be high on the list, although I'd prefer a smaller form size.

Based solely on my experience with the Axe FX, if I were getting ready to spend big cash on a high end amp, it would be the Friedman.

this is good example of quickrod "right out of box".

Splawn Quickrod - YouTube

As you can see, different from the axefx.

Gear 1 is cleanest tightest and with least gain but still has good amount of gain. Gear 2 and 3 are slightly bassier than gear 1 and have also more gain. The voicing is the same on all gears. Gear 1 sounds the best to me.
Please note that in this video he is running gear 1 od 1 with the bass control almost off, and the amp still has plenty of bass in the tone. Gear 1's voicing is such that it is the brightest and has the least bass of the gears. Gears 2 and three have much more bass. The most interesting thing about the QR is that it sounds like it has tons of gain but it really doesn't. As has been mentioned before they are a very revealing amp. If you suck as a player, the Splawn is more than happy to shout it to the world at the top of its lungs.

I purchased my Quickrod in 08 of 2006. It was one of the first off the line with the new clean channel. It's a great amp for sure and has a unique voice. I did a tone match on mine late in V6.02 that is up on Axe-change. I will try again soon to amp match my Quickrod for V7, I am also interested to see how close the new model is to mine.

I had a few minutes to tweek it some last night and i did get some of the mud out but still a little bassy.to me it sound more like the nitro i had....had.to be honest here i am haveing some problems with mud/bass at the moment on other amps as well.but not on ones like the vh4 or uber.idk ots strange to me.back on track ....3gears,@2 over drives in one axe amp block and your not gonna please everyone.
i have a couple amps sitting around thats kinda hard to come by.where would you guys like the clips posted? Tm? Or recording sections here?

I'll be pm'ing you

Hi there. Give my a clip of a G,D and E
Something like this ..

All i need to "tone clone" your amp. And i will share the patch. I would be cool if others also would do this :) Share your amps. Share the love

And a nice PIC of the amp setting. So i know how to set the tone controls on the axe fx. To make it a good match

O/T: It's good to see some amp manufacturers (CarolAnn, Friedman, Fryette, Suhr etc) collaborating with Fractal.
Works both ways. If I were to buy an analog amp again, my experience with the Axe models is an important decision-making factor. Friedman BE (with options) would be high on the list, although I'd prefer a smaller form size.

Agreed, or a Dirty Shirley. I actually had a BE on order before the Axe II got here. Glad I waited....maybe one day I will break down and have one.

Based solely on my experience with the Axe FX, if I were getting ready to spend big cash on a high end amp, it would be the Friedman.

+1 I'd be going for the HBE. And to think before the Axe I'd never even heard of that amp!

:D

"One mans trash is another mans treasure"

I absolutely love the Splawn Quickrod model....one of my favorite now. Its not surprising that some that dont like the Quickrod dont like the SLO either, theyre similar to me with regards to their bassy thickness. Maybe thats why some dont like them. I actually love that about them.

This is a phone cam mic clip but it was the only way I could do this. I ran the axe through a Peavey Classic 60 power amp and 2x112's.

You won't believe this cause I wouldn't based on this clip but live it sounds just like that vid a few posts back. I A/B'd for about 30 minutes while I tried it.

Last edited:
I believe on Cliffs presets, he has the cab built into the TMA block. He leaves the cab block in the preset, but it is bypassed. You can switch back and forth for different flavors, but I think in order to use a real cab you would need to bypass both TMA and cab which would defeat the purpose.

Yes, you can 'bake in' the cab/mic IR into the TMA and the single TMA block has both the amp match and cab/mic IR information.

To use a TMA block consisting of only amp match data you need to capture the cab/mic IR separately and use that in a CAB block; you can then change mics/cab IR for FRFR, or bypass the CAB block to use the TMA (only amp match data in this case) with a real 4x12, etc.

This is what I think I've figured out anyway heh....

'How dare I doubt my Axe FX'

I say, 'How dare you not doubt your AxeFX, or any other piece of gear you have chosen to use?' It is only the opinions of those who are open enough/secure enough to question their own decisions that mean something worthwhile. I still cringe when I start to sense any semblance of fanboi language on this board, or any other. Please! Let us all use the 'honor system' to purge our own posts from fanboi lingo! Many people noticed this tendency on our board in the past, but I had hoped it was gone by this point. Sure, we use the best unit of it's type on the planet, but we don't have to act like it, nor be so insecure that we can't question/do an honest re-assessment from time to time.

I personally have re-assessed my decision to go totally Fractal numerous times, and I am still here and happy - this means I am still convinced! But if a time ever comes when I am not convinced, I will let the powers that be know & wait for a response. That's how it works for players like myself, and up to this point Cliff & Fractal have been fantastic, and I don't expect this to change...

~Hadley~

'How dare I doubt my Axe FX'

I say, 'How dare you not doubt your AxeFX, or any other piece of gear you have chosen to use?' It is only the opinions of those who are open enough/secure enough to question their own decisions that mean something worthwhile. I still cringe when I start to sense any semblance of fanboi language on this board, or any other. Please! Let us all use the 'honor system' to purge our own posts from fanboi lingo! Many people noticed this tendency on our board in the past, but I had hoped it was gone by this point. Sure, we use the best unit of it's type on the planet, but we don't have to act like it, nor be so insecure that we can't question/do an honest re-assessment from time to time.

I personally have re-assessed my decision to go totally Fractal numerous times, and I am still here and happy - this means I am still convinced! But if a time ever comes when I am not convinced, I will let the powers that be know & wait for a response. That's how it works for players like myself, and up to this point Cliff & Fractal have been fantastic, and I don't expect this to change...

~Hadley~
:roll

Just going for a catchy title, nothing more.

Hey Sarge - I said what I did because I'm sensitive to the fanboi syndrome that 'infects' so many boards. I'm sorry if I read too much into your title - Now back to 7.0!!! :)

Hey Sarge - I said what I did because I'm sensitive to the fanboi syndrome that 'infects' so many boards. I'm sorry if I read too much into your title - Now back to 7.0!!! :)

You didn't offend me!

I was just so sure that the quickrod model was not modeled correct it put a smile on my face when I found i was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom